Default Had to send a dog home unfinished

And I feel rubbish about it. But it became too dangerous to try and scissor her beard.

She's usually snappy for her feet ( 20kg Scottie) but perfect for her face.

Today, she attempted to bite my leg with intent ( getting her out of her kennel and went for my leg but thankfully my uniform pants are loose on the leg so she only got materia) she pooped and peed every where including on me. I had to muzzlue her for the entire groom

I feel like a failure... I feel like I've failed the owner , my employers myself for not being able to finish her
    I know I had done what was best to stop the groom so that neither of us would get hurt but I still fell bad about it

Muzzling a dog who wants to bite is common sense. I like basket muzzles, since they seem more comfortable for the dog, but I'm not a dog groomer so what do I know
    She sounds extremely stressed. Stress isn't healthy. I wonder if she is feeling sick? Has the owner had her taken to the vet for an exam? Is this a young, middle-aged or old dog?
    Have you tried doing any counter-conditioning? Maybe your salon doesn't have an environment where that would be realistic, but if the owner is up for it, the owner could do some at home. Do you ever offer treats at the salon -- pre-approved with the owner of course. If you use a basket muzzle, you can still feed treats through the muzzle. The owner could work on making it okay to touch the feet.
    I had a hard time with a cat yesterday. Doesn't mean I'm a failure. I just need to make a plan for next time!

Marshmallow, donít feel so terribly awful about it. Sometimes these days happen. But to follow along Emmaís line Iíd like some answers too
    Whatís here age? Is she possibly arthritic or in some pain from something? Did the owners take her anywhere else between grooms. - even daycare or boarding. Sounds a bit like sheís had a very negative experience as was fearful.
    If not pain or fear biting then she may have a brain tumor which can cause personality changes. Itís rare but does happen. Unfornatelynthe only way to know that is with a CAT scan.

With all that, I have a little schnauzer that comes in that is demonstrating many of the same issues. Even the owners canít touch her face. Iíve suggested CBD to try and get her over her anxiety and possible pain.

She's 18, obese ,arthritic with masses galore. I've been grooming her for 3 years ....shes regulat at the vets it was the vets who recommended me to her.the owner is retired and refuses to take her anywhere else ( I charge double what other groomers charge and even though she's tight for money she brings her to me every 8 weeks on the dot)

Because of her weight, she's on a very very regimented diet ( set meal times no snacks/treats whatso ever, not ever her food from her daily allowencr)

She is also has urinary incontinence too.I'm wondering if she wasn't feeling well too as its not normal for her

Reading my original post I made it sound like I carried on grooming after the popping, I didn't, I stopped at that point and called it a day.

I hate hate hate causing stress to animals and avoid it at all Costs.

I think I'm just gonna put it down to a really bad day for both I'm us. Im just upset I couldnt get her finished but the owner was really lovely and understanding.

I agree with the others, it sounds like there was a possible health issue making her lash out. It showed great maturity and prudence on your part to stop when it became unsafe, or too stressful for her. It is those willful groomers that refuse to stop that compromise the dogs safety, and possibly cause injury.

I had to send someone home unfinished yesterday.

Recent puppy mill rescue Havanese girl. Fine for everything but her feet! Oh dear, she did everything she could to fight me to the point of being an unsafe groom... Sent home with "slippers" foster mom was so appreciative and understanding but I agree it feels like **** to not finish a dog.

Hugs! xx

Thanks guys

This happens! Poop happens! You handled it the way you felt best even if you regretted having to do it. You sound very normal and professional to me.

Did you really say she is 18??? Add to that all her issues and she sure is entitled to a grouchy day now and then. Just bad timing that it was her day to be with you! Humanity before vanity is exactly what you showed. Good for you!

Sounded like the right thing to me. I would love to think I am a miracle worker with every pet but so glad I am not obsessed with it. That's not healthy for me mental but I was raised by a perfectionist. No complaints about that. It's one thing if I was grooming a stuffed dog model, these are animals that have lots of feelings, health issues, mental issues. You did fine. I am only human.

Oh no, Marshmellow, you did not fail, not at all! Considering the age and health issues of this dog, you made right call to stop the groom. She might or might not feel better the next time, but for this time you chose not to stress her unnecessarily, and that was professional and showed your concern for the dog.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I just feel rubbish about it and work wasn't really understanding about it either. They seemed off and put out that I didn't finish her . i got poopd on ! I'm stopping any groom when that happens !