Default Tips for comb cuts on cats?

I have an owner requesting one, heís a pretty good cat but small and skinny and most of the comb cuts Iíve seen were on some, well, chunkier kitties. And the owner of the shop who trained me to do cats insisted it was impossible until I showed her a picture.... so no help there. Anyone have tips or tricks or things to watch out for? Any particular lengths you like?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Everything is easier on chunky kitties, but on skinny cats, or cats with loose skin, comb cuts are easier than shaving. At least for me they are. I would also suggest shorter lengths, like 1/2 or 5/8 inch for a small and thin cat. The longer lengths can be unwieldy to use on a small cat. Make sure the coat is squeaky clean, tangle free, and completely dry. Use a clipper vac system and just be careful to keep the tines of the comb flat against the skin and not allow skin folds of the flanks or arm pits to get between the tines. I am currently averaging about 10 cat comb cuts a week - I did three today!

Purrfect advice Aristocrats. I made the mistake of not fully really dry and the clipper didn't like. It was pretty dry, but totally dry made a huge difference.

Quote Originally Posted by Aristocats View Post
    Everything is easier on chunky kitties, but on skinny cats, or cats with loose skin, comb cuts are easier than shaving. At least for me they are. I would also suggest shorter lengths, like 1/2 or 5/8 inch for a small and thin cat. The longer lengths can be unwieldy to use on a small cat. Make sure the coat is squeaky clean, tangle free, and completely dry. Use a clipper vac system and just be careful to keep the tines of the comb flat against the skin and not allow skin folds of the flanks or arm pits to get between the tines. I am currently averaging about 10 cat comb cuts a week - I did three today!
    Thanks! What if kitty is scared of the clipper vac? I dont have one currently but I do want one in the future. A lot of back brushing or is reversing ok?

Quote Originally Posted by Catfancy View Post
    Purrfect advice Aristocrats. I made the mistake of not fully really dry and the clipper didn't like. It was pretty dry, but totally dry made a huge difference.
    Thank you! Luckily this particular cat loves the dryer!

And make sure the coat is free from loose hair, like you would do a comb cut of a shedding dig breed, they don't like clumpy fur either