Default Another "Fear Free" grooming adventure

The basic concept of the Fear Free Veterinary Professionals program is that it is unacceptable for pets to experience fear, anxiety and stress during pet care. I'm posting this since a few people are interested in the program.
    I visited a young cat who was friendly, outgoing, but too wiggly for the owner to bathe or do rear claw trims. She is able to do front claw trims if the cat is burrito-wrapped. The owner told me that the cat does not like it if she looks directly at her.
    I lifted the cat onto the counter. She hissed immediately and her pupils were huge. I asked the owner to stroke the cat's head slowly & gently. We dangled a shoelace in front of the cat. I cleaned the ears. The tail was swishing slowly. I gently brushed her with a soft brush, then instead of bathing, I rubbed her with a wet cloth. I placed the damp washcloth on her back, as a kind of saddle. I trimmed the rear claws. Finally, I held her by the scruff and feet to quickly place her belly under running water. After about 3 seconds, she struggled, so I immediately stopped. (Next time I won't put a cat in that kind of a hold. I did it out of habit, as it is definitely NOT a "fear free" technique. Hard to break habits, but improvement is happening big time!)
    The owner told me, "Now she will hide for the rest of the day." Instead of hiding, the cat stayed near us, licking her fur and playing and eating treats. I told the owner, "That is what success looks like." The owner said we accomplished much more than she thought we would. She was proud of her cat and thrilled with the visit.

Excellent results, I really get where you are going. This kind of skill really puts a groomer a cut above in the sense of handling, and worth in my opinion top fees.

I love the ending of your message, proof in the pudding.

Quote Originally Posted by Emma123 View Post
    The basic concept of the Fear Free Veterinary Professionals program is that it is unacceptable for pets to experience fear, anxiety and stress during pet care. I'm posting this since a few people are interested in the program.
    I visited a young cat who was friendly, outgoing, but too wiggly for the owner to bathe or do rear claw trims. She is able to do front claw trims if the cat is burrito-wrapped. The owner told me that the cat does not like it if she looks directly at her.
    I lifted the cat onto the counter. She hissed immediately and her pupils were huge. I asked the owner to stroke the cat's head slowly & gently. We dangled a shoelace in front of the cat. I cleaned the ears. The tail was swishing slowly. I gently brushed her with a soft brush, then instead of bathing, I rubbed her with a wet cloth. I placed the damp washcloth on her back, as a kind of saddle. I trimmed the rear claws. Finally, I held her by the scruff and feet to quickly place her belly under running water. After about 3 seconds, she struggled, so I immediately stopped. (Next time I won't put a cat in that kind of a hold. I did it out of habit, as it is definitely NOT a "fear free" technique. Hard to break habits, but improvement is happening big time!)
    The owner told me, "Now she will hide for the rest of the day." Instead of hiding, the cat stayed near us, licking her fur and playing and eating treats. I told the owner, "That is what success looks like." The owner said we accomplished much more than she thought we would. She was proud of her cat and thrilled with the visit.
    Don't you love it when you get immediate results!

I am really amped up to learn this more.

I have started gently rubbing their paws after trimming the claws on that paw, along with face rubs. Did this last week with a sweet cat who usually "yells" at me when I trim her rear claws. Was able to keep her calm enough that she didn't yell.

Sent from my SM-J727P using Tapatalk

That is awesome!!! I so love the concept. I'm pet sitting 2 Maine Coons right now and it's kind of funny, the owner has called me 4 times making sure I UNDERSTAND his cats will try and escape. I totally believe him, told him I believed him. Well, first, the LAST thing I want is for his cats to get into MY house and get into a fight with my 4 cats. So, I have 2 deterrents set up, but I have 2 more if I need them.. One is a folding fireplace screen right in front of one door. Second is a small bowl of ping pong balls.. so if they come near the fireplace screen.. I can toss a ball. Third one is to place a carpet runner upside down, fourth one is to use the Ssscat Spray.

But the weird thing, is he's sooo anal about them getting out, yet they haven't been brushed in a year. They have mats the size of my palm on haunches, chins. So.. I'll be working on them the rest of the week, slowly to see what I can accomplish.

Anyway.. I'm thinking about doing this myself.
    Debbie
    There's always room for another rose in the garden.

Ping pong balls!! I love that.

Ping pong balls!! I love that.

It's not my idea lol. I got it from reading Pam Johnson-Bennett's book, Think Like a Cat.. for those door dashers. Along with the carpet runner placed knobby side up. The fireplace screen is my idea lol. And it's great, because it's 3 sided, so I can step in, the door closes behind me, then I open one side of the fireplace screen. I'd step over but my luck I'd land on my face lol. And I can see the more outgoing cat plotting hahahahahaha. The owner said.. "Everyone lets their guard down and they both have escaped." Well.. not that I'm perfect, but I'm not everyone and I AM a fanatic about my own cats!!! Last thing I want is a cat fight and either them injured or me bitten.
    Debbie
    There's always room for another rose in the garden.

I have started gently rubbing their paws after trimming the claws on that paw, along with face rubs. Did this last week with a sweet cat who usually "yells" at me when I trim her rear claws. Was able to keep her calm enough that she didn't yell.

That's so cool.