Confused I thought I would lose weight grooming

Before I was a groomer I was a very sedentary sitting at a desk job all day. I wasn't overeating a lot, but I wasn't active at all. I became a groomer and I stand all day, bending over backwards a lot and lifting you know. I am not eating more in fact I often seem to skip lunch. I am eating no more for dinner than before. Anyway the 40 pounds I need to lose didn't fall off from grooming.

Quote Originally Posted by Teena2 View Post
    Before I was a groomer I was a very sedentary sitting at a desk job all day. I wasn't overeating a lot, but I wasn't active at all. I became a groomer and I stand all day, bending over backwards a lot and lifting you know. I am not eating more in fact I often seem to skip lunch. I am eating no more for dinner than before. Anyway the 40 pounds I need to lose didn't fall off from grooming.
    Many times groomers gain weight not lose it. I think skipping meals is part of it.
    My Blog The two most important days in your life are the day you are born and the day you find out why. ĖMark Twain

I can groom until the sun comes up and not loose weight because I have Hashimoto disease......which is extremely common in older women....its nodules in your thyroid, you never know you have it until a doctor exams/feels your neck.... your thyroid controls weight, your growth of nails, your eyebrows, etc. Also when people start skipping meals, your body goes into a "starvation mode".....your body continues to run by using less calories. Continue to eat, but eat wiser............easier said than done :>)

Happy skipping ice cream, chocolate, soda, cake, donuts, cream pies, candy..........boo hoo

Dolly's Barking Bubbles, LLC

www.dollysbarkingbubbles.com

I donít know about starvation mode or how thatís suppose to work, but I have rethought it since I recently dropped a quick 65 lbs from literally not eating (0-500 caloriesa day). At no point during my period of starvation did my weight loss stall. Itís like as long as my body had fat for fuel, it burned it. Now that I am eating again, my metabolism seems to have adjusted so that the weight isnít just piling back on. But yeah, the constant physical activity and movement from grooming was not enough to make me lose weight. Weight and bodies are weird.

Quote Originally Posted by Totally Clips View Post
    I donít know about starvation mode or how thatís suppose to work, but I have rethought it since I recently dropped a quick 65 lbs from literally not eating (0-500 caloriesa day). At no point during my period of starvation did my weight loss stall. Itís like as long as my body had fat for fuel, it burned it. Now that I am eating again, my metabolism seems to have adjusted so that the weight isnít just piling back on. But yeah, the constant physical activity and movement from grooming was not enough to make me lose weight. Weight and bodies are weird.
    The new theory is that starvation mode is really bunk. It's not true for everybody. And I'm the same way. I lost 60 pounds I've put back on tap but my body no matter what I eat including all chocolate that I want or anything else is at the same weight. I haven't gained any more of that so that means that my weight loss is at 50 pounds. I worked put hard. But I've been so injured for the last year and a 1/2 that every time I start to work out again the injuries flare up. As a result that last 20 pounds is going nowhere!
    My Blog The two most important days in your life are the day you are born and the day you find out why. ĖMark Twain

Quote Originally Posted by Particentral View Post
    The new theory is that starvation mode is really bunk. It's not true for everybody. And I'm the same way. I lost 60 pounds I've put back on tap but my body no matter what I eat including all chocolate that I want or anything else is at the same weight. I haven't gained any more of that so that means that my weight loss is at 50 pounds. I worked put hard. But I've been so injured for the last year and a 1/2 that every time I start to work out again the injuries flare up. As a result that last 20 pounds is going nowhere!
    I would also love to lose another 20, and like you, itís barely budging. Iím at a healthy BMI and not gaining, though, so Iíll take it, I guess. But man, Iíd like to get rid of that last 20. Iím not quite willing to starve again to do it. I was pretty sick most of last year and early this year and physically unable to eat. I canít see me starving on purpose to lose weight.

I would also love to lose another 20, and like you, itís barely budging. Iím at a healthy BMI and not gaining, though, so Iíll take it, I guess. But man, Iíd like to get rid of that last 20. Iím not quite willing to starve again to do it. I was pretty sick most of last year and early this year and physically unable to eat. I canít see me starving on purpose to lose weight.
    What I'm doing now is on tracking everything that goes in my mouth and I'm adding protein to see if that will counter some of it. I'm going to start walking again very slowly tomorrow. I've been telling myself that for a month now but having been bitten severely I really think if I don't do it I'm never going to. I'm starting to get in my head that I don't have to and I do have to. I'm in the middle of a new project that is bigger than anything I've ever done and if I don't take care of me at the same time neither me nor the project are going to fare well.

Yes! I also track every single thing specifically because I was not getting enough protein and sometimes still struggle to. I lost so much hair and became very anemic. Itís been a long road back and Iím still not there yet which is one factor in my reassessing my career path. Good luck on your recovery and endeavors.

Yes! I also track every single thing specifically because I was not getting enough protein and sometimes still struggle to. I lost so much hair and became very anemic. Itís been a long road back and Iím still not there yet which is one factor in my reassessing my career path. Good luck on your recovery and endeavors.
    Well, you are not alone. I wish you luck. I am rethinking my life's mission as well and the new project may mean I don't have to groom every day.

Even if it is very light I still eat a little lunch at work. Don't forget the role of cortisol, the stress hormone. Some of you with Cushing's candidate dogs know vets will test the cortisol levels of these dogs, who eat little and gain, and seem to never lose. Same in humans, lots of humans have raised Cortisol levels and unless you go into starvation it seems you cannot lose more than a couple pounds.

I appreciate the comments and you gave me some good leads to study more.