Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Mad I'm super crabby, can't breathe, and my afternoon appt

LOL.. first of all, I'm sleeping poorly, so I am tired. I'm having terrible asthma these days. I have a new doctor but can't in until next week. I do have my cash doctor, but I really need a referral to a pulmonologist to make sure I'm good with my asthma meds.

Then, my afternoon appt. I cannot stand this woman. I can't figure out how to fire her lol. It's like go away, leave me alone.

The woman is just rude, snarky, entitled. I think I've complained about her before. I was going to fire her last fall, after she and her husband hired MY husband, a contractor...signed that contractor, work was done, done fabulously, in a timely manner (quickly since they were having a party), and then her husband sent the rudest email about the price. Uh, excuse me, this was a signed contract... nothing was added on. All costs were given UP FRONT.. they signed the contract.

Why be rude? And it wasn't even a huge job.. 2 guys, 3 days.. about $1200. And the non-licensed contractor they've been using for their remodel.. well she HAD TO HAVE these $20,000 glass salon type doors going from her bathroom to her walk in closet. They broke.. so THEY had to buy new doors.. and they complained about my dh's licenced, legal contractor work.

Well, my husband only had to deal with them once. But I have to deal with her every month, until I figure out a plan. So 6 months out of the year, her dog gets a bath, bit of tidy, blow dry only. The other 6 months I do an O comb on the torso, chest, 2 comb or 7 blade on the legs. I leave the head and the back long and blend my best. Dog is a husky/PWD mix. Odd, odd coat.

Well, last year she came in and said.. "Remember how last time you did a really, really bad job on my dog?" I just looked at her and thought.. "why are you back then?" I said no.. she said she took her dog to her hairdresser to fix. Her hairdresser couldn't fix it. I picked up my 10" shears and said.. "Different professions, different tools." THEN she said something snarky about my hair. So I've been plotting ever since how to fire her. I do her neighbor's dog, so I'll lose her in the process.

She does not work. And I hate to work on Sat.. so I save my Sats for my people who actually have to work during the week for a living. I'm sick of her.. "I can't come in at 10 am because I have Pilates." Well, then come in the afternoon. "Well, I usually take a nap." Oh fer crying out loud.

Last time was nearly the last straw... I said "if there's anything.." and she stopped me and said.. "Oh I always have to tweak her. Tata!!" And she walked out. And I just thought.... "I worked 3 hours on your dog for that??"

Here's my list of ideas to fire her.. Jump off my roof. Throw myself down a flight of stairs. Move to Nepal. I've raised my price, it's happy, but I can't do her anymore. I can't do her dog if I charge her $150. I can't stand the snarkiness, the rudeness, the pickiness, the entitlement. Apparently she treats everyone like this.. but no.. I'm done.

And she wonders why her stepchildren hate her.
    Debbie
    There's always room for another rose in the garden.

Think how much better you'll feel when you say, "Sorry, Mrs. PIA, but you're obviously not satisfied here with Hairy's grooming. It's time for you to find another groomer who can make you happy". It beats jumping off your roof or moving to Nepal (Nepal??). Life's too short to put up with an abusive client. I'm betting her neighbor knows what she's like and will keep coming to you. Good groomers are hard to find.
    Old groomers never die, they just go at a slower clip.

Groom on!!!

Would she still book if you didn't have any available appointments for a while? Maybe push her out and don't offer any Saturday appointments. My next available is X or X. "Oh i can't do those." Then, push it out another 2 weeks, rinse repeat.

With clients like this I desperately want to say " I'm really sorry but I've nothing for your fluffy for 6 months!" Or constant complainers I wanna say " why do you bother coming back to me?"

Honestly I would just tell her , I'm sorry but you are going to have to find fuffy a new groomer as I am unable to make you happy with the way I style fluffy and because of this I am unable to accommodate your requests for grooming.

I did this recently with a very snarky horrid client. And it was in person as the owner was picking over the groom and I essentially retrimmed the dog in front of the owner. I lost my patients with this client and I just said , look , I'm sorry you are not happy with my styling , so I think its best that you find another groomer who can understand your grooming requirements better than I can. Please do not book again... Granted with how I'm feeling right now I probably could have been a little politer about it.

I know it's not fun what you got to do, but your ideas for firing her made me laugh inside! Hang in there. I refused a pia new client today, and THOUGHT I had gotten rid of another but oh no, she is playing phone tag again. Ugh

Really Big Laugh

Throw yourself down a flight of stairs .... just funny. Thanks for the laugh.

I'm looking at the other side of the coin.......everyone's knee jerk approach is to delay the groom until she finds another groomer.......but who are we "hurting" here.....not the owner, but Fluffy because his coat sounds like it will be a screaming mess if not groomed once a month. Next time she brings in Fluffy, make yourself real busy, and when she walks into the salon, politely greet her and grab the leash and talk to her as you are walking away, " it will be 2 hrs for pickup, bla, bla, bla". Now you are walking away and she no longer has an audience. When she comes in to pick up Fluffy, once again you are busy and bring the dog out to the counter, give her a receipt and work on the cash register.....no eye contact, but continue to check her out.....remember NO EYE CONTACT. Try this approach and see if it helps. It's hard to talk/complain to someone when they are busy with something else and not having eye contact. Also tell her that Saturday appointments are reserved for working folks only, no ifs, ands, or buts.

Happy keeping Fluffy as a client

Dolly's Barking Bubbles, LLC

www.dollysbarkingbubbles.com

Just be honest and tell her you can no longer accommodate her needs. Yes, she will have a fit.....who cares? You work for yourself for a reason.
    I have told clients that they have toooooo many issues for me to deal with, yep they had a hissy fit....don't care, my life is much better without them.
    Ain't always easy to stand up for what is right.

Quote Originally Posted by KarlaSnyder View Post
    Think how much better you'll feel when you say, "Sorry, Mrs. PIA, but you're obviously not satisfied here with Hairy's grooming. It's time for you to find another groomer who can make you happy". It beats jumping off your roof or moving to Nepal (Nepal??). Life's too short to put up with an abusive client. I'm betting her neighbor knows what she's like and will keep coming to you. Good groomers are hard to find.
    Nepal... hahahahhaha.. the phone service is awful there. "Oh sorry.. missed your call."
    Debbie

The only way you are likely to rid yourself of this self-centered insecure woman is to let her go. She might even change a little for the better, but all that show she puts on is her weakness and strength, show her a polite strong woman, that's what she wants to be. Even if you lose 2 customers, the vacuum will fill back up.

Quote Originally Posted by Dolly View Post
    I'm looking at the other side of the coin.......everyone's knee jerk approach is to delay the groom until she finds another groomer.......but who are we "hurting" here.....not the owner, but Fluffy because his coat sounds like it will be a screaming mess if not groomed once a month. Next time she brings in Fluffy, make yourself real busy, and when she walks into the salon, politely greet her and grab the leash and talk to her as you are walking away, " it will be 2 hrs for pickup, bla, bla, bla". Now you are walking away and she no longer has an audience. When she comes in to pick up Fluffy, once again you are busy and bring the dog out to the counter, give her a receipt and work on the cash register.....no eye contact, but continue to check her out.....remember NO EYE CONTACT. Try this approach and see if it helps. It's hard to talk/complain to someone when they are busy with something else and not having eye contact. Also tell her that Saturday appointments are reserved for working folks only, no ifs, ands, or buts.

Happy keeping Fluffy as a client

Dolly's Barking Bubbles, LLC

www.dollysbarkingbubbles.com
    I don't want Fluffy!!! Fluffy is strong, difficult, manipulative hahahahha... if you can describe a dog that way. Touch a back thigh, back leg comes up. Dog weighs 70 lbs. I shave under the chin, do an O comb up to chest, blend blend blend blend.. if I lift the dog's head, she becomes Superman strong and won't let me lift it. She's difficult for her nails. Difficult for everything... from bath to blow dry. 100 years from now when they excavate my house they'll go.. what's this dog hair?? LOL
    Debbie

Daesue, you make me laugh. I’ve been to Nepal...and I would go back in a heartbeat. But I usually tell people I’m moving to Bhutan. So I hear ya!

I would also do the “I can’t make your happy. See ya! Enjoy your new groomer”!

One thing I keep in mind is that the client is my employer. They pay my salary, they pay my bills. I work really hard for the people that hire me.

HOWEVER, we have probably all had the boss or job that we just couldn’t stand. So we gave our two weeks notice and we moved on. And we found better, nicer bosses to work for.

This is how I feel about clients like you are describing. I have a right to refuse to work for them. And I have told some of them that. The whole “your my boss and you don’t treat me very well so I’m giving my notice. I’m sure you will find someone else to fill this position”

It shocks them. For the first time they realize that they should have been a better ‘boss’.
    Once I have given my notice, I don’t change my mind. We are done.
    Oh, and I don’t really give “two weeks notice”. I just used that as an example.
    If she had been that snarky to me she would have been walking out the door, with an ungroomed dog, pronto!

And if that doesn’t work, I’ll see ya at the airport with a ticket to Kathmandu. ��

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast