Default Phoenix Groomers free for all

A few months ago I posted that Maricopa County had fairly strict guidelines for mobile groomers that required yearly inspections and restrictions even on where you dump your water. Well, apparently the fine folks down at the county health department got together and effective 3/21/18, the Board of Supervisors approved a code revision that would no longer require Pet Shops/Groomers to be permitted by the Department https://www.maricopa.gov/3984/Healthy-Environments

You can download the full report from the board of supervisors here https://www.maricopa.gov/Search?sear...port%203-21-18 ( I understand some of the reasoning, but not all)

So as of right now, there is no licensing requirements or regulations of any kind required to open up and operate a Mobile or Brick and Mortar pet grooming salon. Theoretically, anyone with a pair of clippers and an apron can hang a sign up and run a muck. The horror stories have already been plentiful here in Phoenix, and this is, imho, not a step forward for Phoenix (Glendale, Peoria, Tempe, etc) but 2 steps back.

Sent from my SM-T817V using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Petagreemobilespa; 05-19-18 at 09:12 PM.

Wow it's usually more and more, and yes more regulations.

Quote Originally Posted by Petagreemobilespa View Post
    A few months ago I posted that Maricopa County had fairly strict guidelines for mobile groomers that required yearly inspections and restrictions even on where you dump your water. Well, apparently the fine folks down at the county health department got together and effective 3/21/18, the Board of Supervisors approved a code revision that would no longer require Pet Shops/Groomers to be permitted by the Department https://www.maricopa.gov/3984/Healthy-Environments

You can download the full report from the board of supervisors here https://www.maricopa.gov/Search?sear...port%203-21-18 ( I understand some of the reasoning, but not all)

So as of right now, there is no licensing requirements or regulations of any kind required to open up and operate a Mobile or Brick and Mortar pet grooming salon. Theoretically, anyone with a pair of clippers and an apron can hang a sign up and run a muck. The horror stories have already been plentiful here in Phoenix, and this is, imho, not a step forward for Phoenix (Glendale, Peoria, Tempe, etc) but 2 steps back.

Sent from my SM-T817V using Tapatalk
    It is pretty much like that anywhere in the US with some few exceptions. I bet thousands of grooming businesses do no inspections at all.

I agree with 1mobilgroomer. We get inspected off and on. Years ago the Humane Society would come out. They havenít been out in probably 35 years. The Fire Department used to come out. They did that for a few years. Havenít seen them in probably 10 years.
    Of course, they are looking for stuff that has nothing to do with grooming. Anyone with a pair of scissors can open a shop around here. No experience necessary.

10 years in business here and no van inspection. Just need paper business license anyone can get. There's no industry standard on grooming vans. You are free to build to your liking.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

I think things will go fine Sandy, maybe they are just streamlining what they can afford to manage and sticking with critical things. What they were doing doesn't offer the protections of vocational licensing and still no states in US do that.

I'm in Las Vegas and it's a free for all here. People build junk vans that would automatically be shut down by osha, if they bothered to inspect them. In the desert heat the grooming area can get down right dangerous if not properly built. Mobilers driving around leaking grey water, not only is it against the law, it's disgusting. Even though I'm a mobiler, I vowed to report vans I see leaking. Ever hear of ringworm or parvo, both being able to be spread by grey water. People watch a few vids, groom their own dogs, build a junk van, run ads on craigslist, and they are in business. Thankfully this is not the demographics of my clientele. I hate government regulations but there needs to be some control, I try reasoning to mobile leakers to no avail. They don't get it; that this is the type of behavior that leads to more, sometimes extreme regulations.

I'm in Vegas also. I'm doing this 10 years and there is no one to report grey water dumping to. They do nothing. My neighbor is a metro sergeant and said there's nothing he can write a ticket for. It's a EPA. Good luck worrying about bath water hitting the street. There's bigger issues to deal with.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

I let my grey water drain all day onto the street vs bringing it home and dumping. I do not groom any dog that has ringworm or sick. Also, I've been mobile since 2008 and the van has never been expected. I actually asked for a business license in 2008 and was told I didn't need one since I'm mobile and not in a store front. I think most of the country doesn't require strict grooming laws.

Happy letting it drip

Dolly's Barking Bubbles, LLC

www.dollysbarkingbubbles.com

Yep and when you think about it, how many automobiles in hot areas overflow some radiator drips with antifreeze, like thousands. I use an organic shampoo, my grey water is pretty environmentally friendly.