Naahh Are black dogs smellier?

I always thought this was sort of an old wives tall (maybe "tail") but I read that some black dogs secrete more coat oils and when the coat is wet it can be pungent. I have noticed that when I groom a really smelly dog more of than not, it is black. Am I crazy?

Interesting. I've groomed stinky dogs of all colors, but I guess an oily coat would pick up more 'stuff'. Or maybe black dogs smell more because owners aren't always bathing them like they do light colored and white ones. More baths, less oils.
    Old groomers never die, they just go at a slower clip.

Groom on!!!

I haven't noticed that black dogs are dirtier or smelly, but I have noticed that on several black dogs, (my schnauzer included) have a black residue in their ears...this is not ear wax, but the cotton ball comes out black, even when I'm wiping the stand up, upper ear (where no wax contacts the ear). I can use up to 4-5 cotton balls, soaked in ear cleaner, and it still comes out black. This doesn't happen on all black dogs, but separately I get them....like I said, my black schnauzer is one.

Happy wiping those ears

Dolly's Barking Bubbles, LLC

www.dollysbarkingbubbles.com

Lol......No, it is an old wife tale.
    Ain't always easy to stand up for what is right.

I love the irony that this black dog thread was started by whitedog.

I think cyn is mostly right yet it has seemed like that to me at times. Maybe they absorb more heat being black and it cooks up something?

Quote Originally Posted by 123Linda View Post
    I think cyn is mostly right yet it has seemed like that to me at times. Maybe they absorb more heat being black and it cooks up something?
    I have ran across the few as Dolly said the ears made cotton (multiple cotton balls) come away with black on them and a few that no matter how many times I bathed them, the rinse water had a black "tint".......but dogs always felt squeeky clean. But then I have also seen deep red dogs give off the red "tint" in rinse water as well and white dogs with the black on top part of inside ear.
    Ain't always easy to stand up for what is right.

Quote Originally Posted by wild4westies View Post
    I love the irony that this black dog thread was started by whitedog.
    Right!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

LOL too, and today the stinkiest dog of 9 was the black one.

Quote Originally Posted by whitedog View Post
    I always thought this was sort of an old wives tall (maybe "tail") but I read that some black dogs secrete more coat oils and when the coat is wet it can be pungent. I have noticed that when I groom a really smelly dog more of than not, it is black. Am I crazy?
    I haven't noticed.. and I've owned both black labs or black mixes and yellow and white labs. My males have a stronger smell on their muzzle though.. which I find interesting. Oh the lady I complained about earlier.. her neighbor has a yellow labish mix of some sort and he stinks.. not the yeasty stink, just hard to get fresh smelling when I bathe him.

Oh man, that reminds me.. years ago, I mean way back in the middle ages, this neighbor had these two Golden Retrievers.. fat things, he was fat too lol.. walking those dogs, him smoking a big cigar. And those dogs stunk. That yeasty, gross retriever oily smell that you couldn't get off your hands if you used Lava soap hahahhahaha. I swore I'd never have a stinky dog like that. And I didn't until my first male lab that had horrible skin issues. He was just walking mange and nothing at the time that was effective. Sad.
    Debbie
    There's always room for another rose in the garden.

Never had a black dog but maybe because their fur absorbs more heat?

Quote Originally Posted by whitedog View Post
    I found white dogs that black with dirt and grime are definitely smellier!