Laugh Not What is this with a rat's ass?

I have a good customer for a long time who is a character. He talks and talks comes in talking and leaves talking and that's fine with me. Very high energy. But he and his an entire family say, well, I don't give a rat's ass about this or that. Even to me like, like well today we should give Henry a full groom and take him a little shorter, it will be about $20 more. Answer, "I don't give a rat's ass about the extra $20, go ahead." Or, we need to move Henry's appt to get him in for the pool party you are throwing Memorial Day, "I don't give a rat's ass whatever you need we will do it."

I have heard others use that line before, but what is it with rat's ass. LOL

That was a very popular saying in the late 70s and 80s, purported to have originated during WWII when American soldiers saw the Japanese flag and claimed it looked like a rat's a$$....at this point, to your client, it is in their lingo and a long-standing mannerism. It's a bit crude, but yet not to the point of saying he doesn't give a FF, which is the same thing.

I still see T shirts. Look at Pinterest, search it, even more.

Then there was the old variation, I would rather sew a red sequin on a rat's ass than........... fill in. Not sure where that one came from either.