Wall Eyed Cat Can an employer require you to use a clipper vac sys?

I am applying somewhere and that is the rule for the health of everyone and the cleanliness of the place to basically quote what they said. Pretty strict don't you think?

I've always wanted to try a Clipper Vac, but, except for a few swipes at a trade show, just couldn't see spending the money. It is her shop, and, I guess she can insist that you use one (as long as she is supplying it). Hope she realizes that there is a learning curve involved-you could end up with shorter cuts than what the owner wants. I was always more concerned with how the pets were treated and if my employee did quality work, came in on time, etc. Maybe a bit strict, but JMO.
    Old groomers never die, they just go at a slower clip.

Groom on!!!

I tell you, I have one and use it selectively. I find it is not for every groom. I do not like using it on any drop coats. I like the fade off technique not to leave any hard line. Bravo if you can do it with a vac.

Other dogs do not tolerate the suction noise and make it more difficult to work with. So for an employer to require you to use it every groom, I can't accept that. I as an employer myself would not require it.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

I've used a Clipper Vac on every groom since the late 1980's/early 1990's. I can not imagine not using one, since it speeds up the groom by not having to go over the same area numerous times to pick up stray hairs. It also keeps the work space clean of hair. I have never had a dog that is/was skittish of the noise or of the suction. I'm always intrigued when people say there is a "learning curve" to using one, since all you have to do is mentally think it is going to cut 1/16"- 1/4" shorter than not using one. Most, but not all, of my grooms are done with snap on blades ranging from 3/8-5/8" so I do not have a problem with drop coats and leaving ridges....just go with the direction of the hair growth.

As far as the employer requiring you to use one, that's her shop and her rules......go find another job. She has put in the effort and money to keep your working environment clean, not only in reducing floating hair in the air that you breath in, but a cleaner working table/floor space. Too bad more employers aren't as concerned for their employees as this one is.

Happy using a Clipper Vac

Dolly's Barking Bubbles, LLC

www.dollysbarkingbubbles.com

In my old shop, we required that you used the ClipperVac. If you were new to it, we allowed a month or two for you to learn the ins and outs of it. But eventually we required that you use it all the time.

I always considered people that were very resistant to it, not right for the shop. Relax, expand your horizons. Most people ended up loving it.

Scott

I have heard it can be required but legally I just don't know for sure. I do know they make exceptions for pets that will not tolerate it.

You are an employee. That means your employer can tell you how to dress, what equipment to use, what dog to groom, ect.
    Ain't always easy to stand up for what is right.

Today for instance, a maltipoo puppy. Only been in a couple times for tidys. Had to do an all over today in a #0. Started with the CV and he was bouncing off walls. Put it down and grabbed my bravura with a comb. Done. He handled it better and I had more maneuverability working without a hose.

I can see a shop wanting groomers on vacs but there has to be exceptions for some grooms.

Quote Originally Posted by IrishSetterTom View Post
    Today for instance, a maltipoo puppy. Only been in a couple times for tidys. Had to do an all over today in a #0. Started with the CV and he was bouncing off walls. Put it down and grabbed my bravura with a comb. Done. He handled it better and I had more maneuverability working without a hose.

I can see a shop wanting groomers on vacs but there has to be exceptions for some grooms.

Of course there were exceptions.

Scotty