Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Using the Dyson Blow Dryer for house call cat grooming. What it is like.

This client lives in a 6th floor walk-up (pant, pant, struggle for breath, pant). Two Persians (one was featured in my article).
    The boy Persian has always been scared of blow dryers, so he and the girl are usually dried with an Oster table dryer, purchased by his human. That helps keep him relaxed during drying.
    1. As quiet as the Dyson blow dryer is, he still panicked when I turned it on. The sound of the air rushing out -- to human ears a very low sound -- was enough to startle him into struggling to escape, even with the Dyson on low speed. I decided to dry him with the table stand dryer.
    2. The girl cat was initially slightly startled by the sound of whooshing air. I kept it away from her in the beginning, slowly moving it closer to her body. She is a bit nervous around the Oster dryer too, so this was no worse. I decided to use it to dry her. She became comfortable with it over time.
    3. The human was amazed by the quietness of the dryer. Since she is at home in the living room while I groom, this is a plus in terms of customer experience. It made grooming more relaxing for her, in that she didn't have to listen to a louder dryer.
    4. The dryer is lightweight and easy to hold due to its design. Holding it for an hour was comfortable.
    5. The dryer emits focused air, similar to an HV. I was able to use it to "slide" loose fur off the cat, as with an HV dryer. I wasn't able to do that with the Oster, or with the other human salon hair dryer I often use for different clients.
    6. I didn't time it, but my sense was that the drying was fast! I was done with the appointment about 10 minutes faster than usual.

I can't really tell from your critique which one is quieter the table top or the Dyson. Is the whooshing air constant or just when turning on.?

I noticed the Dyson's whooshing sound when I turned it on, but I don't know if the sudden sound or the sudden air vibration is what panicked the cat. Since cats have a hearing range that is different from ours, he may have heard something that humans can't hear.
    The Oster table dryer doesn't make that whooshing sound when you turn it on. The Oster table dryer is quieter, though to my ears, both the Dyson and Oster are extremely quiet.

Not entirely related but my dogs hated 3 vacuum cleaners, the sound causes chaos. The Dyson purple animal was the first vacuum that was quieter and the dogs relocated away from it while I vacuum but NO barking at it or lunging at it.

I wonder how a dog would react to the Dyson blow dryer. I wonder if a dog who was scared of HV dryers or human blow dryers would be able to tolerate it.

Quote Originally Posted by whitedog View Post
    Not entirely related but my dogs hated 3 vacuum cleaners, the sound causes chaos. The Dyson purple animal was the first vacuum that was quieter and the dogs relocated away from it while I vacuum but NO barking at it or lunging at it.

Emma have you had some more experience with the dryer now? What do you think now?

Quote Originally Posted by Emma123 View Post
    This client lives in a 6th floor walk-up (pant, pant, struggle for breath, pant). Two Persians (one was featured in my article).
    The boy Persian has always been scared of blow dryers, so he and the girl are usually dried with an Oster table dryer, purchased by his human. That helps keep him relaxed during drying.
    1. As quiet as the Dyson blow dryer is, he still panicked when I turned it on. The sound of the air rushing out -- to human ears a very low sound -- was enough to startle him into struggling to escape, even with the Dyson on low speed. I decided to dry him with the table stand dryer.
    2. The girl cat was initially slightly startled by the sound of whooshing air. I kept it away from her in the beginning, slowly moving it closer to her body. She is a bit nervous around the Oster dryer too, so this was no worse. I decided to use it to dry her. She became comfortable with it over time.
    3. The human was amazed by the quietness of the dryer. Since she is at home in the living room while I groom, this is a plus in terms of customer experience. It made grooming more relaxing for her, in that she didn't have to listen to a louder dryer.
    4. The dryer is lightweight and easy to hold due to its design. Holding it for an hour was comfortable.
    5. The dryer emits focused air, similar to an HV. I was able to use it to "slide" loose fur off the cat, as with an HV dryer. I wasn't able to do that with the Oster, or with the other human salon hair dryer I often use for different clients.
    6. I didn't time it, but my sense was that the drying was fast! I was done with the appointment about 10 minutes faster than usual.

The dryer does seem faster than the dryer I was using, which was a high-quality salon blowdryer for humans.
    As far as being less scary for cats, afraid that is not the case. Even though the Dyson is very quiet, the air flow is forceful.
    When I turn it on, cats definitely sense a powerful air flow, even if I don't point it at them. That scares the scaredy-cats.
    I am still glad I bought it, since drying cats more quickly does help them, in that at least the drying will take less time. Also, the powerful air flow is good for de-matting. But sadly, not helpful for cats who have a fear of powerful air flow.

How do you hold the scaredy cats to dry them?

I don't blow dry scared cats, unless their human doesn't give me a choice, or they have the sort of fur that gets matted if damp.
    When I do have to blow dry a scared cat, I put a Happy Hoodie on them, or if I forgot my Happy Hoodie, I at least put a snap-on e-collar on them to block the air flow. I use a towel to give them a snuggly place to sit. If they're going to run away, I rest my hand on their back or pull them close to my body.
    Quote Originally Posted by whitedog View Post
    How do you hold the scaredy cats to dry them?

Have you ever made videos Emma?

I don't make videos, at least not now.

I tried one of the attachments provided with the dryer. This decreased the whooshing sound the dryer makes when turned on -- so I will be trying out the dryer with the attachment on my "scaredy cat" clients. I think they will not be scared as long as I use the attachment on the dryer.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast