Default New Standard Schnauzer coming in....

I have watched Standard Schnauzers be hand stripped from a previous employer, but never quite done one myself. I have a new client coming in. We already spoke on the phone. One of the key points I made was that I do PET handstripping and that if she was looking to show i am not the groomer for her. She said she was considering showing her but wasn't sure yet. She appreciated my honesty and said she would call and make an appointment when she decides something. When she must have decided because she is scheduled to come in on Monday! Excited and nervous at the same time. Any tips and advice would be wonderful! Going to do some brushing up and watch some videos and reread the breed standard to prepare.
    It's not what you look at that matters; it's what you see.
    Henry David Thoreau

Thatís great! Remember to take a before AND after pictures (lol I always forget the after). Also try to remember to strip on dirty hair, chalk him up well for easier gripping, and DONíT flick your wrist. Most of all...relax and enjoy the zen of hand stripping.

What was your favorite stripoing knife again Westie? I know you have mentioned using the diama stripper and liking it. What was the others? I've looked into Madans, Hauptner & Macknyfe. Ordered some Crown Royal grooming powder to try for chalking the coat. I have my Mars striping knives and coat kings, pumice and finger cots. I warthed a video of Lindsey Dickens grooming a Giant schnauzer (couldn't find video for Standard). I thibk I'm ready.
    Henry David Thoreau

I have many brands of knives, but if she is considering a future show career for this dog, I personally would use Macknyfe strippers on his jacket and head, and pluck his furnishings. Let me know how you like the Crown Royale powder. Itís funny, cause I use their shampoo, conditioner, and sprays on my personal dogs, but havenít tried their powder. I currently use CC White Ice chalk on dirty coats, and IV St. Bernard Jeuneusse (sandalwood scented fine talc) if I am tweaking a clean coat.

Quote Originally Posted by wild4westies View Post
    I have many brands of knives, but if she is considering a future show career for this dog, I personally would use Macknyfe strippers on his jacket and head, and pluck his furnishings. Let me know how you like the Crown Royale powder. Itís funny, cause I use their shampoo, conditioner, and sprays on my personal dogs, but havenít tried their powder. I currently use CC White Ice chalk on dirty coats, and IV St. Bernard Jeuneusse (sandalwood scented fine talc) if I am tweaking a clean coat.
    Can't afford the Macknyfe right now. I will definitely need to invest in the near future. Do you think an Orange and a Yellow would be could to start? I just purchased CC Coral brush that Tom recommended. Anxious to see how that works. I also purchased J.Murphys hand stripping/ carding video. I'll let you know what I think if the Crown Royal Westie.
    Henry David Thoreau

Yes, the orange and yellow knives should start your collection when you can. Mars knives are a good affordable choice for a starter knife set. I went to a fabulous seminar of Mario Fantiís where he took all sorts of stripping knives, pumice stones, homemade tools, files and rasps from Home Depot, and random kitchen tools of all sorts to show that you can use anything successfully as a stripping tool, it is the technique that is most important. He switched his tools up every few minutes. Best of all, his demo dog was a Standard Schnauzer!