Smile Hanvey vs Wag'n Tails

Are there any major differences between the 2?

Yes there is a difference........you need to go to a trade show and go into them. Groom Expo usually has both that you can walk thru. I've been in two Hanvey vans and the problem that I saw was that there was no back wall that conceals the equipment (shop vac, dryers, clipper vac) from the grooming area, thus, the noise of these motors are loud and hair gets everywhere. Also in the Hanvey, the tub was very low, so you had to really bend over to wash the dog. My friend who owned a Hanvey had to keep the van's motor running the entire time of grooming.

I've owned two WGT Pro's and, for me, they are exactly what I need as far as equipment and ease to obtain supplies, and do the grooming.
    The Hanvey vans may have changed their design since the last time I walked thru them, so once again, try to go thru them. WGT has a video on their website that does a virtual tour of their models.

Happy shopping

Dolly's Barking Bubbles, LLC

www.dollysbarkingbubbles.com

I do not have a van but have done extensive research for years. Have looked at both at shows, talked to both companies many times, talked to people who have them. I hope to get a van within this year. It will be a Hanvey

I wouldn't like that open wall Dolly spoke of for sure, maybe that's changed. Best advice is to "tour" them both. For that much investment I think it is a must.

Still has same layout and half wall design.

One point I may make. Hanvey does not finance the van. Their conversion is separate and you will need to take that into consideration.

Wagn tails does full financing on several model vans and its 1 loan and the best part, say you get a ford dyna. Ford will warranty the whole van with conversion because wagn tails is a certified van converter just like say winnebago is for an RV. Wagn tails has dealer relationships so they order their vans with the options they want. It's a much easier way to purchase your groom van.

Plus I think wagn tails does a better build and more user or groomer friendly. I dont like the fact you have to idle the van for air conditioning and making hot water.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

I mean idle a hanvey van.

Another drawback to hanvey is your waste water must be pumped over to the waste tank which creates problems. The waste tank should be directly under the tub and gravity does its job.

I have had my used Hanvey for 4 or 5 years now and its biggest fault is the hot water system just as Tom says. It's terrible. Many of my clients are within 5 miles of me and then I also have my own dogs to groom and to have to drive at a certain speed for 15 or 20 minute to get it to warm up was no fun and I could never get the water a good temperature. Too cold or too hot. I hated it and put a better system in which was easy and cheap to do. It is very important to me to provide perfect water temp for dogs.

2nd fault is tub - table configuration. It is better in WnT for movement and bigger dogs and Dolly is right, the tub has a deep drop for big dogs (there is a shelf to work on for small dogs) so you have to be careful not to hurt yourself or an older or frightened big dog getting it into and out of the tub. I changed my tub out too. I didn't have to but it was too back breaking working on dogs too big for the shelf.

My table broke so I had to put in a new one. The links system is good for a new groomer I guess. I don't really need it so no big deal.

The pump from the tub to the grey water I have had to change once in 5 years. $40 or so and my husband did it pretty easily. It's never been a problem. Neither has a lack of a back wall. My van is not loud.

Because I am a small dog groomer, I don't need a generator. The batteries give me everything I need. I do have to idle for A/C but idling also charges my batteries while I am working so I like that I don't worry about power and it's a diesel so I don't think it is a big deal that I idle. I put black out curtains on my windows in the summer and have regular box fans blowing that do a very good job of keeping it comfortable in my van as well.

Although I would love to have the WnT for its good looks and all the bells and whistles and I would buy one if I groomed all breeds. But, because I am a small dog groomer, I don't need all that and I don't want to deal with so many items like generators and anodes etc. Although the Hanvey is very basic in looks, it matters when something breaks and my husband or handyman can easily change or fix things without having to tear anything apart or going to an RV place. Easy to clean too.

It would be nice if Hanvey or WnT would have a floorplan for small/medium dog groomers and hopefully these companies will get on board with new products and put a nice overhead stand dryer in upcoming units one day.

p.s. I think WnT has a superior trade-in offer, but not sure.

Great points everyone. Wonderful answers. Both companies should read this discussion.

Excellent information. Some of you really know your vans.

Quote Originally Posted by IrishSetterTom View Post
    I mean idle a hanvey van.

Another drawback to hanvey is your waste water must be pumped over to the waste tank which creates problems. The waste tank should be directly under the tub and gravity does its job.

That seems logical Tom I wonder why they do it that way?

They do it that way because of the side by side configuration of tub/table. They put the tub on the van side wall not the back wall like most van builders. Therefore the tanks and equipment are in the back away from the tub. Water has to be pumped over which can complicate things like pump failure or air lock.

I think The superior design for a groom van is tub across back wall, table perpendicular. Weight is distributed evenly, waste tank can sit below the tub drain. And fresh water tank directly next to waste tank so that the plumbing lines can be shorter to the tub above.

Sometimes trying to be different and innovative doesn't always work IMO

Excellent thread of info.