Oops Matted aggressive pomeranian, how to shave?

I have a senior pomeranian who has arthrtic back and hips. Shes always been very snappy but moreso in the past year due to her hips. No groomers will take her on because she's so aggressive and i cant risk anyone being rough with her out of frustration. I can bath her ok but no towel drying or hair drying without nearly getting bit.
    Her hair has matted around her back legs into clumps and I want to shave her down. I've tried my best to scissor it but it only clumps it worse. I can't get a brush near it as I reckon she's abit tender there.
    I'm thinking of buying Wahl dog clippers but can anyone vouch that they will actually work on a thick pomeranian coat. I also read about wet shaving but cannot afford to buy cordless clippers so I'm stuck.
    Just trying to get some advice to find the best way to shave her, dematting her isn't an option 

Thank you in advance!

It sounds like money is an issue, and you're trying to do the right thing so that's wonderful.
    This sounds like a medication situation. Drugs to the rescue!!
    My guess is that your dog needs daily medication for pain relief anyway, due to the arthritis, so that could be discussed at the same time as getting a prescription for a sedative/anti-anxiety/pain relief medication to get you through the grooming session.
    I am a cat groomer -- what has worked beautifully for some extremely anxious/aggressive cats is Gabapentin. I've read that Gabapentin can be used on dogs too, but I don't know if it's the best option or not in this particular situation. Your vet would know.
    Ask your vet when to give the dose. For example, Gabapentin should be given 2 hours before the session.

Quote Originally Posted by PomPom1994 View Post
    I have a senior pomeranian who has arthrtic back and hips. Shes always been very snappy but moreso in the past year due to her hips. No groomers will take her on because she's so aggressive and i cant risk anyone being rough with her out of frustration. I can bath her ok but no towel drying or hair drying without nearly getting bit.
    Her hair has matted around her back legs into clumps and I want to shave her down. I've tried my best to scissor it but it only clumps it worse. I can't get a brush near it as I reckon she's abit tender there.
    I'm thinking of buying Wahl dog clippers but can anyone vouch that they will actually work on a thick pomeranian coat. I also read about wet shaving but cannot afford to buy cordless clippers so I'm stuck.
    Just trying to get some advice to find the best way to shave her, dematting her isn't an option 

Thank you in advance!
    Absolutely Wahl has clippers that can handle that coat. Focus on clippers, not trimmers. For some years I would have said the corded models of clippers but some of the new cordless clippers definitely can handle that coat. Like the KM, and there are Andis clippers too.

We just got the KM and is a solid clipper. I do want to caution the OP than taking out matted dense areas requires skill. More like a scoop and whatever wrist action and it takes experience. Plus the skin is not so healthy when it doesn't have good airflow and may not react well without being extra careful and experienced. Watch the skin! Inspect the skin!

This really sounds like a job for a professional. Is there a vet in your area that has a groomer? That way, the dog could be safely sedated and shaved. They'll be able to do it much faster (and safer) than you can. Lots can go wrong with an old dog. Maybe you can use clippers, but most owners I've worked with think it's a lot easier than it is. Even a vet tech at your own vet's might be able to do the job. Another option is to find a groomer who is willing to let you help hold the dog while she clips it.
    Old groomers never die, they just go at a slower clip.

Groom on!!!

Which Wahl clippers were you looking at? There's also Furzone and Affordable Grooming Shears has some small clippers with a snap on 4 in 1 blade that may do the trick as well and aren't that expensive.

I agree with Emma.. get her on some pain meds. I think... I just haven't read enough about Gapapentin but Trazadone may be helpful. But I think a vet visit to get her on some pain meds and some anti-anxiety/calming meds will help you.

I had terrific luck on Fri with a horrible dog. The owner and I talked about a lot of options. He was supposed to stay.. instead he gave his dog a Benadryl and some CBD oil. I was able to do the entire dog, without him or I being injured. Dad walked in and he took control and I quickly clipped his nails. Dog was done!! I was really pleased. He flailed a couple of times.. but I was able to calm him right down this time.

I'm in San Diego and would be glad to help you. Otherwise, hope some of this has been helpful. There's lots of basic vids out there. Be very careful around the back leg, that lower tendon cuts easily. Tuck ups are also another danger area as are armpits.
    Debbie
    There's always room for another rose in the garden.

Two of my customers have also gotten very old and CRANKY. In both cases I had a talk with the owners and explained that it has gotten to the point of comfort over looking pretty. Thankfully they both agreed. So when they come I have the owner hold the dog and talk to them while I cut off as much as I can without causing any more distress. This has worked well with both of them. One of them is a pom and at age 15 the owner decided that just shaving off what ever we could would be good enough. Much less stressful for the dog and me and neither one of the owners quibbled about it. I know I'm about to lose both of these dogs and it just breaks my heart because in the past they were both wonderful. I have one other customer that stays with the dog because the dog has many seizures and is on meds for them. They all bring these dogs in at the end of the day so that they are the only ones here during the groom. So far this is working for me.