Smile Alliance with a grooming school

I went to a grooming school a few years ago and still have friendly connections. On occasion students come to my shop to tour it by invitation and arrangements with my friend who owns the school. We talked this weekend and she is very interested in having me give a demonstrations for students with an interest in mobile grooming. This would not be until next year, I am just getting ready to get my van and start the mobile phase of my career. She will compensate me for my time and I love sharing. I think I may have gone mobile earlier had a school shown me the option. What do you think?

Sounds like a good idea. In all fairness, a new groomer should work in a shop environment for X amount of time. The school learning is just a start, you don't learn everything there and need that time around experienced groomers first, plus you need to have animal handling experience before venturing out alone in a van. Some groomers are naturally gifted and can get by with taking classes and watching videos and reading these threads daily and can jump in a van and do great. Others need time to hone their skills before going it alone.

The mobile class should include all the things not related to grooming like vehicle maintenance, insurance, parking, scheduling, costs, water management, etc.

Wonderful idea.

I think that is a great idea! What a cool thing for the students to get a idea of what a running Mobile looks and feels like and a great way for you to see the upcoming talent.
    It's not what you look at that matters; it's what you see.
    Henry David Thoreau

I love it. I remember one school back East now gone had one mobile van on the side doing grooming for the shop. Students got to try it out. I would think that would bring in some students.

I can see a school doing that but I think having your type of alliance setup makes more sense and so much easier for the. I wonder, today how many students in a school plan to be mobile rather than working for someone else or opening a shop.

That was a CT school that did that about 15 years ago.

Quote Originally Posted by 1mobilegroomer View Post
    ...I wonder, today how many students in a school plan to be mobile rather than working for someone else or opening a shop.
    I'm a semi-recent grooming school graduate (2016) and I planned to go mobile from the beginning. I did work in a couple of salons for a bit, which just cemented my desire to go mobile as I couldn't stand it. I was the only one that wanted to go mobile in my class, and as I was finishing, another student was planning to go mobile and bought a trailer. So from what my teacher told me and my experience, it's about or less than 5% from my grooming school.

Please do let us know more in the future how this goes.