Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Embarrassed Workers copying client names and numbers

I have a question. Do you let your employees ( the dog groomers) copy the client names and numbers. If they are working for 50% commission + tips, why do they have a right to copy the client names and numbers. The business owner is the only one paying for the marketing and has to pay overhead. Do you think it is ethical for the dog groomers who are independent contractors to be taking down client information?

Quote Originally Posted by rayray99 View Post
    I have a question. Do you let your employees ( the dog groomers) copy the client names and numbers. If they are working for 50% commission + tips, why do they have a right to copy the client names and numbers. The business owner is the only one paying for the marketing and has to pay overhead. Do you think it is ethical for the dog groomers who are independent contractors to be taking down client information?
    This post is so fraught with problems it's not even funny. First you ask if employees can do it, later you refer to them as independent contractors. They can't be both. Two, if they are independent contractors those SHOULD be THEIR clients so they don't need to 'copy' the names and numbers down, they SHOULD legally belong to the groomers. The 'owner' who is paying for marketing and overhead is trying to get over on the system by not paying taxes on the groomers, so in my opinion, gets what is deserved.

If you are that owner, I'd highly suggest you do some reading on this board about independent contractors vs employees.

Interesting so if a shop hires independent contractors, then all the clients coming from advertising become the independent contractors clients?

Cockerlvr is right indeed. If YOU groom the new customers coming in and don't assign them to what you call ICs, then they are YOUR clientele. But since they are grooming your customers your shop is not compliant and they are employees. They are ONLY supposed to be grooming THEIR customers. Since they don't have the records, they are indeed employees.

Thanks for the information I will definitely need to learn more about this

Quote Originally Posted by rayray99 View Post
    Interesting so if a shop hires independent contractors, then all the clients coming from advertising become the independent contractors clients?
    You have majooorrrrr issues. They must have their own clients and insurance and business to licenses...99% are really misclassified employees..
    My Blog The two most important days in your life are the day you are born and the day you find out why. –Mark Twain

Independent Contractors are illegal in this industry. Shop owners say they are ICs to avoid paying taxes, while treating them as employees (setting hours, collecting money from customers, etc.)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

To the original poster, if you switch to employees you should make new hires and others already working for you sign a confidentiality agreement as part of being hired. Very normal in a lot of companies but not many independent groomers. Be specific and they sign it. It should clearly spell out they are not allowed to copy any of your client records, and that would include paper records as well as computer records. Make sure they sign it, then you have them over a barrel if they do this. Wouldn't cost much to have a legal person prepare one for you.

Quote Originally Posted by ABDG View Post
    Independent Contractors are illegal in this industry. Shop owners say they are ICs to avoid paying taxes, while treating them as employees (setting hours, collecting money from customers, etc.)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Not true. It can be done legally. But it's a rare case. If you rent soace from a vet, feed store, pet shop it can be legal. But. It's rare.
    My Blog The two most important days in your life are the day you are born and the day you find out why. –Mark Twain

I had to sign one at a couple places. I could be terminated immediately if I did that.

Its stealing. Dont matter if it's illegal 1099 or legal w2 employee.

Put it this way, when you were hired, what ever clients you brought with you are yours to leave with. Any clients you acquired working in the shop are not yours to take. Can you stop clients from following a groomer, no but going into a database and copying client info is stealing.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by IrishSetterTom View Post
    Its stealing. Dont matter if it's illegal 1099 or legal w2 employee.

Put it this way, when you were hired, what ever clients you brought with you are yours to leave with. Any clients you acquired working in the shop are not yours to take. Can you stop clients from following a groomer, no but going into a database and copying client info is stealing.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
    And in some cases, depending on what was taken, the shop owner could be in trouble for breach of security in relation to the clients information. Its no different than the hacking of a bank, or Facebook security issues. You owe the client security of their information unconditionally and need to protect it. People who take that information need to be prosecuted for theft of private, proprietary information.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast