Huh Do you train your groomers? Do you charge for training. Do you have a contract?

Good groomers are hard to find. Has anyone charged to train a person who wants to learn to groom and then employed then once they were trained? Can you do this if you are not a school? If in fact you take 2 dogs less a day to slow down and train and it takes someone 4 months to learn. Can you charge your lose of income?

A few look at this question but no one answered??? ?How do you get your qualified groomer.

OK not an expert. Here we go. Admin can correct me or anyone else. You face state and federal rules. I know we can charge to train someone and they are not an employee not expect to act like one. You CANNOT use the word school, diploma, certificate or anything like that. I saw a sample contract for this in the from problems to profits book. Ask your attorney first. Use a contract. Don't make it sound like you are in the business of training, an educational place.

That loss of income, well I would say hell no. LOL. You are charging this person to train them so where is the loss? OK I know what if you are not training them. No, I doubt it, you are investing in your business. There is no loss of income in that sense. Hope this helps.

I saw in moderation and thought Brit did a great job. Smart people around here. I am not going to disagree with anything Brit said. Based on my experience over 20 plus years I have met owners of "training centers" for groomers. They didn't get state licensing like a school, and you know what, they were legal. BUT!!!! Similar to what Brit said they could ONLY say they offered training in grooming. No diplomas, certs etc. Some had to say we offer "CLASSES" in grooming, avoiding even training keyword. The states tolerated them and didn't make it easily understood. The owners called and verified it was OK with them offering classes. For example there are adult education classes in grooming without state licensing as a vocational institution. So it is trick and expect every state to be different. So whomever is state licensing in your state you talk to them and say you want to offer private classes etc and get an OK that you are not a vocational school. In the US private parties have the right to contract like this, but don't make it sound like a school of any kind and certs, diplomas etc.

Loss of income, no I very much doubt that, especially if you are charging for the training. Verify with a CPA.
    Most questions regarding GroomerTALK are answered in the FAQ section, or in the Board Help Forum. Thanks for coming to PetGroomer.com http://www.petgroomer.com.

In fact, some of you that remember Spikey the Yorkie, she got her first training in one of these "classes" situations.
    Most questions regarding GroomerTALK are answered in the FAQ section, or in the Board Help Forum. Thanks for coming to PetGroomer.com http://www.petgroomer.com.

Well I am expanding in the future by hiring my niece to work with me. She is about out of school and working with me to finish her off. But I am getting her a used mobile at my expense and so I am expanding next summer with mobile. She can then eventually own the van paying me a fair used value, and I will feed her some clientele and let her build her own. We will work it all out on paper. Attorney says she can be part owner and get extra percentage for doing the mobile "division" and I get to advertise we offer both shop and mobile grooming. The start of my empire LOL LOL. It's family!

Sounds like a good LLC use or LLP.

Quote Originally Posted by CathyB View Post
    Well I am expanding in the future by hiring my niece to work with me. She is about out of school and working with me to finish her off. But I am getting her a used mobile at my expense and so I am expanding next summer with mobile. She can then eventually own the van paying me a fair used value, and I will feed her some clientele and let her build her own. We will work it all out on paper. Attorney says she can be part owner and get extra percentage for doing the mobile "division" and I get to advertise we offer both shop and mobile grooming. The start of my empire LOL LOL. It's family!
    I would to hear later how this worked out for you.