Wacko Just got used mobile grooming van running off of inverter and RV battery- help needed

I was given a used mobile grooming van for my birthday. Its an older van that is set up to run the grooming area off of a 1500w/3,000 watt max inverter That is connected to a RV battery in the back of the van. Problem Iím
    Having is things like the lights, clippers, etc all work fine off this set up except the dryer. When running the dryer, all is good for about 5-10 minutes, then Power will surge and everything stops working. I then have to go to back of the van to reset the inverter, then it happens again. If I leave van running, then Power still surges while running the dryer, however it only goes in and out.( I donít have to go to rear of van to reset it though) however trying to dry a dog with the power going in and out is impossible.. so my question is if I add an additional inverter to this set up, will that help? Can that even be done? My uncle gave me a brand new inverter that has the same power specs. Can I add it to my set up? Does it need a separate every battery to connect it to? Any and all help would be greatly appreciated.

Quote Originally Posted by kim818 View Post
    I was given a used mobile grooming van for my birthday. Its an older van that is set up to run the grooming area off of a 1500w/3,000 watt max inverter That is connected to a RV battery in the back of the van. Problem Iím
    Having is things like the lights, clippers, etc all work fine off this set up except the dryer. When running the dryer, all is good for about 5-10 minutes, then Power will surge and everything stops working. I then have to go to back of the van to reset the inverter, then it happens again. If I leave van running, then Power still surges while running the dryer, however it only goes in and out.( I donít have to go to rear of van to reset it though) however trying to dry a dog with the power going in and out is impossible.. so my question is if I add an additional inverter to this set up, will that help? Can that even be done? My uncle gave me a brand new inverter that has the same power specs. Can I add it to my set up? Does it need a separate every battery to connect it to? Any and all help would be greatly appreciated.
    An extra inverter won't help. The problem is you don't have nearly enough battery capacity. I'm guessing that maybe the van was shoreline to run the dryer.

I have five 200 AH batteries to run my setup, in my old van there is an isolator so the batts charge while the van is running, in the new one we are going solar, but still five batteries to run everything.

SO I just bought a Predator 3500 watt portable inverter generator today. Planning to use it only when running my blow dryer . Other than that , everything else (lights, water pump, clippers, etc) seems to run off the inverter and rv battery just fine. Wandering does anyone else have a similar set up as mine? This is how I bought the van. The guy go owned it said this was his first van and it worked great for him. But I just donít know how that would be possible to run the dryer the way it is cause the power surges when using it. Even with the van running, the power still goes in and out. Any help , advise would be greatly appreciated.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Kim how watts is your dryer?

I totally missed the 1500 watt inverter, I just saw the 3000. Whoever owned it before must have been using a very under-powered dryer or are you using the same one?

You should be fine with the generator

I agree, not enough battery power and also the inverter is too small for a typical 2 motor, 17 amp dryer. Either the previous owner did not dry dogs or used shoreline power.

I think it's a good idea you picked up a small generator just for the dryer. You can even get a generator like a Champion that comes with a remote control start-stop which you can turn on and off without getting out of your van.

After doing mobile for 10 years, I do not believe you can run a 2 motor HV dryer on a inverter without having a ton of batteries. The dryer runs what, 3 or more hours a day doing 5 to 8 dog dries per day. It's not worth the weight in batteries, plus the cost of the batteries. A inverter for the salon for table, lights, outlet, vacuum, clipper vac, all fine. Air conditioner and dryer need to be either shoreline or generator. Even a small electric water heater can be on the inverter.

I'm able to run my dryer with an inverter Tom, but I do carry five batteries at 150 pounds each so there's that. And with few exceptions I rarely run two motors, but I could if I wanted to and do on occasion.

I had my dryer on a inverter with 4 batteries and got maybe 3 or 4 small dog dries before it was out. I don't recommend spending that much on batteries just to power a dryer. For everything else its ok. Now I run 2 small batteries and a generator that handles drying and AC. Do you really want to carry 750 pounds of batteries or a 80 pound generator that never runs out of power. I would guess you can lose 1 mile per gallon carrying that extra weight. That can add up over time.

Quote Originally Posted by IrishSetterTom View Post
    I had my dryer on a inverter with 4 batteries and got maybe 3 or 4 small dog dries before it was out. I don't recommend spending that much on batteries just to power a dryer. For everything else its ok. Now I run 2 small batteries and a generator that handles drying and AC. Do you really want to carry 750 pounds of batteries or a 80 pound generator that never runs out of power. I would guess you can lose 1 mile per gallon carrying that extra weight. That can add up over time.
    Oh I get way more than that. Especially with the isolator. My last bank lasted 2.5 years doing 5-7 dogs five days a week. I've done up to nine dogs a day and never run out of power.

And yeah, I really do prefer the batteries and inverter over generator. I didn't really care for the generator setup for hubby when he had his trailer. The maintenance alone not to mention adding the gas is just a pain. Then there's the noise and exhaust. If I had a wagn tails setup where it draws gas from the vehicle it might be different, but an outside generator just isn't my gig.

I'm going to try a little experiment with the new van. We got a 4K inverter and I'm going to try and run the A/C off the batteries (not at the same time as the dryer). If I wear them out fast so be it. I'll buy more, I make enough. If it works I'll be a happy camper. We did set up the A/C to be able to plug in to peoples houses if they have a 20 amp circuit for me too though. I only need A/C part of the day for about three months here, so it will be interesting to see if I can do it.

Not being mobile I really love hearing how mobile groomers do their systems. I just think it is so cool, and beyond grooming alone like we do all day in a shop with plugs and pipes.