Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Florida Gromers and residents

Hi all.

I have been looking at homes because we may relocate after I sell my shop and my mobile and starting up another single van mobile when we move. Now, out here in the west, we all have cinder block walled in yards and having dogs is not an issue. Dog door and 6 foot walls between homes and no issues. Seems like most homes in FL have no fences and caged in pools. Looks very nice as you can see the beautiful plants and any ponds or canals behind your home but what do people with dogs and larger dogs do to give them space to potty and play. I know HOA rules do not allow fencing in most communities and we are looking at non HOA to park a trailer or van anyway, but can anyone give me a answer to what clients and yourself do besides walking dogs and going to dog parks. I'd hate to keep them locked up while I work. Right now they have the freedom of going out whenever they want. And not interested in invisible fencing. Thanks.

What part of the state are you looking in. Different answers for different locales

SW Fl south of Tampa to Naples. Coastal, not interior towns.

Not from FL but have been there. Wow while the heat is on in both locations FL heat is way hotter to me with humidity. Funny but I know people used to humidity and go to Swest and go I am parched. But with all the water in FL outdoor activities with boating were really big and everywhere compared to West. Lots more bugs too in FL. We kept our dogs indoors when visiting my grandparents in FL.

Tom, I live in central FL...between Tampa and Orlando.. I live rural on 10 acres but I have underground fencing for the area I want my dog to stay in. We want to keep him out of the swamp and off the road. The invisible fence works like a charm because you can make it as big or small as you want. My brother put it around his whole 20 acres. Most friends who live in subdivisions where fencing is not allowed also use it. Hope this helps and welcome to Florida!

I use to live in Naples before I got into grooming. It is a nice area but I can't imagine drying a dog in that humidity in a mobile. There are really a lot of nice acreage properties in Naples especially in an area called Golden Gate. You have to have the cages or you can't enjoy your pool/patio in the mornings and evenings because of the mosquitoes. There are a lot of big snakes too. I was at the vet and a dog just died after being bitten. Garbage service was twice a week and bulk, brush and recycling was once a week. My own dog who liked to be outside lost all the hair on his rump when we moved there and was irritated by something. The minute we left Naples his hair grew back. Still Naples is nice but you have to adjust to a jungle climate coming from the West.

Quote Originally Posted by Countrygrl View Post
    Tom, I live in central FL...between Tampa and Orlando.. I live rural on 10 acres but I have underground fencing for the area I want my dog to stay in. We want to keep him out of the swamp and off the road. The invisible fence works like a charm because you can make it as big or small as you want. My brother put it around his whole 20 acres. Most friends who live in subdivisions where fencing is not allowed also use it. Hope this helps and welcome to Florida!
    Do you get gators?

Shock Cat

So it isn't lions, tigers and bears, it is mosquitoes, snakes and gators??????????????????

My father lived 30 miles inland from Daytona, on a canal off of Lake George......neighbor poodle got eaten by a gator. Everyone walks their dogs on leashes. No way I could conform to living in Fl with my 5 doggies.....they now have 2.5 acres, all fenced in, to explore, bark, hunt and find Mr. Stink to roll in.

Happy saving Fluffy from Mr. Gator

Dolly's Barking Bubbles, LLC

www.dollysbarkingbubbles.com

No gators....we are not crawling with gators as most believe. They are in the lakes and canals. Do people get them in their pool sometimes....yes. Do you see them laying on edge of lake, canal, river etc... yep! I have lived in the Green Swamp 58 years and never had a gator visit me. Most gators visit places that used to be their home til some developer decided 100 track homes would do nicely. Gators taste good too btw.

Quote Originally Posted by petstimes2 View Post
    So it isn't lions, tigers and bears, it is mosquitoes, snakes and gators??????????????????
    LOL

I think FL is beautiful but being from West Coast the air is so thick you can slice it with a knife, I could hardly breathe.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast