Nausea Andis Clipper problem

Hi,
    I have a corded Andis clipper that hasn't been used a lot and it just yesterday started having some problems.

I noticed it sounded slower than normal. Then it would not start unless the blade was disengaged.

I took it apart and cleaned and oiled it and it wouldn't start at all.

Then I wiggled the blade paddle portion and it buzzed and started up.

It's working a "little" presently. But when you crank the speed up it sounds like it is rattling a bit and needs a transmission rebuild.

It's just not quite right.

Any suggestions? Is it toast?

Which Andis clipper do you have?
    Ain't always easy to stand up for what is right.

Excel 5 Speed

Well it is not toast, everything in the Excel can be changed out (for a lot less than a new set of clippers). It sounds like the motor....contact Jeff at Northerntails.com, he can tell you exactly what is wrong.
    Ain't always easy to stand up for what is right.

I just got my Andis 5 speed back from Jeff and they are running great! Also got helpful tips on how to keep them running great. Send them to Jeff and he'll have them fixed in no time.
    It's not what you look at that matters; it's what you see.
    Henry David Thoreau

I do need some blades sharpened...

Nerdy

Here is my website for information. Do not use a search engine to find us.

www.northerntails.com

I did notice you said you took the clipper apart and oiled it, you dont put in an Andis clipper anywhere, it will short out the armature

You dont clean blades in blade wash with it either, it can get inside and cause the same problems.

You dont spray coolant on it while a blade is running on the clipper. The whole front is open and these liquids can get inside. Osters Wahls and Laube clippers all have barriers to keep liquids from getting inside the motor, Andis clipper dont.

Did you drop it at all?

If you send stuff to me along with that clipper answer these questions on the mail-in sheet. Clippers today arent made like they used to be. Your always fixing something on them.

Thanks

-------------------------------------------
    Jeff Andrews
    Northern Tails Sharpening, Inc
    2319 Granada Ave
    Mobile, Alabama 36693
    251-232-5353
    www.northerntails.com
    jeff@northerntails.com
    "You NOW Have A Better Choice"

Quote Originally Posted by northerntailssharpening View Post
    Here is my website for information. Do not use a search engine to find us.

www.northerntails.com

I did notice you said you took the clipper apart and oiled it, you dont put in an Andis clipper anywhere, it will short out the armature

You dont clean blades in blade wash with it either, it can get inside and cause the same problems.

You dont spray coolant on it while a blade is running on the clipper. The whole front is open and these liquids can get inside. Osters Wahls and Laube clippers all have barriers to keep liquids from getting inside the motor, Andis clipper dont.

Did you drop it at all?

If you send stuff to me along with that clipper answer these questions on the mail-in sheet. Clippers today arent made like they used to be. Your always fixing something on them.

Thanks

-------------------------------------------
    Jeff Andrews
    Northern Tails Sharpening, Inc
    2319 Granada Ave
    Mobile, Alabama 36693
    251-232-5353
    www.northerntails.com
    jeff@northerntails.com
    "You NOW Have A Better Choice"
    Hi,
    I put some oil around that bearing on top, I don't use spray coolant. It has not been dropped as far as I know. It has not been wet.

I haven't really used it much. I just have one dog, English Cocker, that I do his neck, face, ears and privates once a month. Timewise, not many hours on it, so I was surprised it had trouble.

Your clipper manual says not to put any oil on that clipper, its isnt an Oster. It sounds like you got oil inside the motor by the symptoms your describing. They just chug and have no power when the armature has been wetted down with oil or blade wash. That DC armature doesnt have as many windings as the AC model so they burn up fast

Looks like a new motor. If your going to get it repaired dont turn it on anymore, it may start to smoke and then you'll blow the switch. That clipper consists of a motor, a switch, and a cord

If its still under warranty send it to Andis, they will give you a new one.

The oiling came after the symptons. It's possible some oil got down in there from a blade though.

I am going to send it to you with some blades for sharpening I think.

You will not regret your choice to use Jeff for your sharpening and repair needs!

Go Jeff.