Default Just sharing a Story....

I want to share my story... I know it isn't a huge success story... But the way I feel now while Grooming is amazing....and I just want to put it out there for anyone thinking they won't amount to much.... you will. You just have to find your calling.
    I'm kind of just writing this because.... well it is my own success story. It might not be as grand as Graduating College or even building a multi billion dollar company. But I call it a success for myself.

I was diagnosed with ADD and mild anxiety when I was 16-17 Years old and a Junior in High School. My whole life I had the symptoms of ADD in Girls, but because I was not Hyperactive like so many others I slipped under the radar. I was always called smart, even if I didn't feel like I was. I thrived in hands on classrooms and would fall asleep in other classrooms unless we were doing something that peaked my interest.... Even then it was hard to remain focused if it was not a hands on experience like Gym, Woodshop, or sewing. If I had no interest in the subject forget it I would get extremely frustrated very quickly and then give up because between everything it was like the teacher waas speaking another language and I couldn't even tell red from blue or my left from right.

But I finally got a NAME for what it was. Why my head always raced. Why I would get so distracted from people talking, anxious in large crowds, and hated lots of loud people all in one spot to the point I always had at least one head phone in. I had a NAME for it. I went on medication for my senior year and for the first time in three very long frustrating years I finally was getting B's again instead of D's. Once I had hit high school my usual B's and A's dropped to C's, D's, and F's. It was clicking again. But the racing of my head that I had grown so used to wasn't there. Yes I could focus but at the same time I felt like everything was in the fast lane moving in slow motion. I hated it.

I had become so uses to my head racing that I hated the medication. I did one full semester and a half in college before I gave up. The difficulty I had in High School had made me hate school. My ticks and tricks to keep myself focused had failed me in High School. I was in college, drowning because I couldn't grasp anything. Not for lack of focus or for lack of trying just nothing was clicking. So I quit school. I decided to go to the work force instead. I got a job at a grocery store, and ended up working in the pricing department.

After a year of this and still wanting to work with animals I found a Private Grooming Salon that willing to take me on and said theyg would teach me. Now, I am a creature of extreme Habit. I adjust and adapt if needed but it takes a lot for me to put myself in a new environment that I have no idea what kind of people or things are there or the rules or anything. To say the least my anxiety was extremely high. I told my Employer from day one how I learn, that I have ADD and I don't take anything for it as I am very open about that and it is a part of me. I explained I am an extreme hands on learner, so if you correct me as I do something it will click. If not.... it's out of sight out of mind and it won't be corrected. Just how my head works as I often find it doesn't stick unless I am correct as it is happening.

Now I spent a year at that Salon, I did a fantastic job bathing, in fact I did too good. So good that the owner did not keep her end of the bargain and instead of teaching me how to groom I was washing and drying anywhere from 15-22 dogs a day. Every single one of them beat the living hell out of me. I asked her repeatedly to learn, which is not my style as I often feel like I am stepping on toes in doing so. Instead of taking a dog in the begining of the day beefore I was mental and physicallt exhausted and just royally pissed off, at the end of the day I was told to go grab that dog (one that bites and wants to eat me) and to take clippers to it to learn. I did this 5 times over the year I was there it was inconsistent and I was miserable Every time. Not to mention my Employer was verbally bashing me at least once a day or once every other day.

After beijng yelled at that I didn't care about my job, the dogs, or her salon and clearly didn't give a rat's a$$ about anything. I applied to Petco that night. That was the last straw. I received a call the following day and I got the job.

I am now at Petco Grooming Academy, top of my class, and told I am a natural at this. I make dogs feel and look beautiful, and I wouldn't trade it for the world. I am told constantly by my Mentor that she doesn't know why I am even at the Academy. I had brought in my spaniel (who I did on my own before academy and did her cut off looking at a Picture... Not a pattern and having no professional training) and she said the only problem was myg blending but my line was perfect and that I had to be uncover boss or something because I was that good.

I wwas taught how to shave down a dog that was going to bite me and wanted to draw blood. That was the first ever dog I touched with a Clipper. I wasn't taught anything else. It feels amazing to have finally found my calling.... and I know this isn't like a huge success to many but for me, where I am now versus where I was in high school thinking something was wrong with me and that I would never amount to anything... It feels amazing. And I have no clue how to explain how amazing it feels.

I'm done with my rant...and I dunno... I just don't know where this goes but I wanted to share.... thank you for reading. If you have your own success story and want to share, feel free.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

So happy that you're happy!
    Many of the leading inventors and businesspeople in American history did not go to college. They worked on the farm after turing 16 or started an apprenticeship. I bet many of them would be medicated and labelled nowadays, because there was no way they could be contained in a classroom.

Thank you for being an encouragement to others by sharing your wonderful story. You have a heart for you job and I predict you will be exceptional at it. You have already overcome so much....best wishes and keep us posted on your progress!

Lovely story. Thanks for sharing! I also predict you will be an asset to our profession.

It’s a wonderful feeling to truly enjoy something and be good at it as well. ( I enjoy dancing but suck at it so there IS a difference ��). So happy for you

Thanks for sharing!
    Ain't always easy to stand up for what is right.

I missed this, bump up, nice to hear from the up and coming new groomers.

Update: I just finished my 6weeks of Academy and am back at my Home Store for 5 weeks or so, so I can complete my 100 dogs. After my 5 weeks I will be sent back to my Mentoring store to test out.

Sunday wwas my first day out of academy and working at my Home Store. I am only allowed 2 groom dogs and 2 baths a day for the first two weeks. Both of my bath dogs requested me (which was a huge surprise to me because I had no clue they liked me that much). The one said she wouldn't let her dog go with anyone else because he cries with happiness anytime he sees me or knows he is coming to visit me (which made me super happy as that is the first time I knew this).

Then I had two groom dogs one was a puppy who has only been to our salon once before for a bath, face, feet, and sanitary... And this time the pet parents wanted a full groom. Somehow (after falling behind due to a bunch of nail trim walk ins and self wash check ins) I got a puppy first groom completed in an hour. I had already washed her while I finished my other dogs so she was sitting in the kennel (no kennel dryer as she was a shih tzu and was towel dried really well). I pulled her out at her two hour mark and completed her with 2 minutes left before she hit the three hours. I only needed help with her face as she was getting far too antsy and I was getting too nervous so my Salon Leader had to just do a few touch ups on her face.

I did really good for my first day back, and can't wait to continue learning. I am so lucky to have such a great support system in my Home Store Salon.

Also I want to thank you all for being so supportive of me being a Baby Groomer. it means a lot to me.

That's great ! Keep up the great work and keep us up dated.

And remember .... No question is too silly or dumb to ask , if you don't feel comfortable asking your mentor ask away here you will get some fab answers from great people with out making you feel stupid.

I ran into this again and would love to hear an update.

Thank you for sharing! This is a great story and one I think, many can relate to. You are obviously a bright and talented person. I am a firm believer that not everyone is cut out for college and the path that it brings and that is A_OK! We need vocations and a variety of talents to make our society whole and functional. I think that sometimes, the artists of the world dont get the respect they deserve.