Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Yelling Pink Town and Country Poodle style correction

I got a new customer today that have moved to this area recently. Nice dog but I went OMG silently when I saw the T&C. The stripe down the back was may be 3 inches wide. It made me think of the Mississippi river! I ended saying could I correct the pattern? She looked at me like what are you talking about. I said the width of the pattern is a bit more than standard and I showed her with my fingers. I couldn't get a good read on what she was thinking but silence. So I did kow tow and said I will do it this way but traditionally it is not so wide. What are your wishes? Blah blah blah, you know they were told this pattern was correct. I just hate when this happens, so I am supposed to prove it? She finally said go ahead and do what you think is right but of course it is not going to look great until it grows in.

Should I have said anything?

Did she refer to the clip as a Town and Country? Cause if not it could have just been some groomers freestyle. Unless an owner specifically says their dog is in a _____ clip, and it's wrong, I don't say anything. Usually I'll just slowly turn it in to my style.

I feel bad, cause at the end of last year (like oct/nov) I had a new client come in and he had moved to the area and wanted someone to do a continue to do a town and country on his dog.
    Now, normally I'm very good at asking questions and making sure I know EXACTLY what someone wants, but for some reason I just decided to follow what the dog had, which wasn't proper town and country. But a lot of people don't know the proper terms of the poodle cuts (and even when you google different trims, there are pictures showing different styles than what is correct) so I just assumed he didn't really know what a true town and country was so I just followed the lines. He didn't say anything then, but he hasn't been back. I think that he went somewhere when he first moved here who didn't put the pattern on right, and I should have double checked exactly what he wanted.

Quote Originally Posted by MysticRealm View Post
    I feel bad, cause at the end of last year (like oct/nov) I had a new client come in and he had moved to the area and wanted someone to do a continue to do a town and country on his dog.
    Now, normally I'm very good at asking questions and making sure I know EXACTLY what someone wants, but for some reason I just decided to follow what the dog had, which wasn't proper town and country. But a lot of people don't know the proper terms of the poodle cuts (and even when you google different trims, there are pictures showing different styles than what is correct) so I just assumed he didn't really know what a true town and country was so I just followed the lines. He didn't say anything then, but he hasn't been back. I think that he went somewhere when he first moved here who didn't put the pattern on right, and I should have double checked exactly what he wanted.
    SHOW THEM PICTURES DONE RIGHT. I have been through this.

Like I said, normally I am very good about ensuring I know exactly what the owner wants, but unfortunately I dropped the ball with that client.

Quote Originally Posted by MysticRealm View Post
    Like I said, normally I am very good about ensuring I know exactly what the owner wants, but unfortunately I dropped the ball with that client.
    I agree it is best to say you know I could tighten up this pattern to a formal TC, not making them feel like this or that, regrets. It's tough and you probably did just fine. You didn't drop a big ball just a learning lesson how to make these hard situations a go.

For many groomers today there just are not enough chances to learn expertise of patterns. I would love to do more poodles with patterns. I have several with lambs or utilities. argh

I love Poodles and learned on them some years ago when they were more popular in our salon. I studied Kalstone's book since it first came out and now many others of course. I always make a point of suggesting pattern improvements where needed. I use my fingers and draw out the changes so they SEE it. Do not rely on them understanding and taking your word for it alone. Usually there are pattern issues so I just use my fingers and show my suggestion and if it needs a little time to grow in, well they have the choice. Just make sure to DRAW it out for them to SEE and use your hands, been OK since I do that. Go softly, don't be critical of past groomers, just say I have breed profile idea....

Pretty funny, this situation is coming for me. Had a walk-in come in and schedule and tour my place. If that is a royal dutch my grandma is a......

Quote Originally Posted by brit View Post
    pretty funny, this situation is coming for me. Had a walk-in come in and schedule and tour my place. If that is a royal dutch my grandma is a......
    lmao! :d
    Ain't always easy to stand up for what is right.

Quote Originally Posted by Brit View Post
    Pretty funny, this situation is coming for me. Had a walk-in come in and schedule and tour my place. If that is a royal dutch my grandma is a......
    It went well, I tip toed. Well she said it was a royal dutch. Funny it was not really anything really. Anyway I showed pictures of a real one and they saw the name in a grooming book, so I think that sealed the trust. Pattern a bit edgy will grow out. They were very happy. They said they never saw the coat so straightened and fluffy.

Good job Brit!
    Ain't always easy to stand up for what is right.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast