Default Question about blades vs attachments

I am new to "professional" grooming although I've been grooming my own dogs and for a local dog boarding business for years. I'm just now trying to build up my own business and equipment. I joined a facebook page for beginners but they were very rude. I've spent a few days reading on here and you all seem so nice and supportive. I've learned a lot just reading over posts.

My question right now is this...I have a good set of clippers and a couple of different blades. I also have the plastic comb attachments. I really don't care for them though. I want to get some better attachments. In what cases do you all use your attachments instead of just the different size blades? Most of the dogs I groom have owners that want their dogs taken down short. None are super picky as I'm not doing show dogs. Mostly my clients are yorkies, shih tzus, doodle mixes, etc. I have shears for the face and can do pretty good with the faces.

I love the Wahl stainless snap on combs-used over a 30 blade.You can use over a 10 or a 15, but I like 30 best. Great for longer cuts, teddy legs, even heads on shih tzu and doodles. I have a set of these. I use the #2 on some terriers-like westies to give a more natural look than a #4 or 5 blade on the body. An A or O comb works great for bichons, etc. where you want a longer, fluffy look. Saves a lot of time versus hand scissoring the whole thing.
    Old groomers never die, they just go at a slower clip.

Groom on!!!

Definately get rid of the plastic combs, they are more of a headache than they're worth! I use Wahl as well, though I know a groomer who had luck with the magnetic andis ones, and some of the girls in my salon have the Oster metal combs and they seem to work just about as well. For me the blade vs. GC thing really depends on the coat type and how short you're going and skin condition. If a dog has irritated or bumpy skin I usually go with the combs to lessen the irritation.

Thank you so much for replying. I need to get the stainless attachments. Scissoring the whole thing hurts my hands so much and takes way too long.

They were really controversial when combs starting out something like 30 plus years ago, they are genius time and hand savers for most groomers. Then just finish with your best scissoring. But remember, for combs you need to do a great job with fluff and stretching and combing combs before applying.

Quote Originally Posted by 1 Clean Puppy View Post
    They were really controversial when combs starting out something like 30 plus years ago, they are genius time and hand savers for most groomers. Then just finish with your best scissoring. But remember, for combs you need to do a great job with fluff and stretching and combing combs before applying.
    Agreed with all the above. I myself would not use the plastic combs....hated them! But when the SS combs came out my life changed for the better, lol, I love my SS combs
    Ain't always easy to stand up for what is right.

Thank you all for being so helpful and not judgmental in my question or making me feel stupid for asking. I love this forum!

I'm definitely going to get SS attachments. I have an Andis AGC and love it.

Quote Originally Posted by happytails11 View Post
    Thank you all for being so helpful and not judgmental in my question or making me feel stupid for asking. I love this forum!

I'm definitely going to get SS attachments. I have an Andis AGC and love it.
    Thank you for acknowledging our very loyal and helpful regulars here, they have tons of knowledge and love to assist. Beginners are quite welcome here. We all started as beginners at one time. And if you have not already checked out our magazine, subscriptions are free www.petgroomermagazine.com and you can download all past issues. Some of our members actually write articles for it as well, and the blogs www.groomwise.com are great too. Enjoy!
    Coordinators post updates to the message for grooming events, members contests, PG.com Classified Ads, GroomerTALK Radio shows and PG.com Magazine online.

No dumb questions here, you did right. PS I love my stainless steel combs.

Yep stainless steel combs only way to go. I adapted to plastic when they came out long ago, but cannot compare to steel.