Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default How much do you make as a groomer?

How much do you make as a groomer? Are you self employed or employed? Can you live comfortably live on?

I just want to say most people do not post this private information in the public. But some may.

It varies wildly from place to place. It really depends on where you are living at. Cost of living varies drastically from one area to the next. I won't disclose how much I make online but let's just say I bought my own home at 23 and put my husband through school on only my income, and I have a lot of pets to take care of, and I've lived pretty comfortably over the last few years.

I don't mind sharing. You can also look on the national labor board and search you states avg income for different careers as it does vary greatly not only by demographics but also the salon you work for if employed. I made a little over $32k last year working part time (approximately 18 dogs a week) as a commisioned worker. Alot of business are starting to switch towards salaried workers so that is also a variabke to consider. Hooe this was helpful.
    It's not what you look at that matters; it's what you see.
    Henry David Thoreau

Here is a link to the bureau of labor to see the demand fir and avg income for different careers in different areas.

https://www.bls.gov/home.htm?view_full
    Henry David Thoreau

That's good, because many people, who are obviously not dog-groomer assume dog-groomers make little money like hairdressers.

Quote Originally Posted by Stellar11 View Post
    That's good, because many people, who are obviously not dog-groomer assume dog-groomers make little money like hairdressers.
    Why do people think hairdressers make little money? My hairdesser has a very successful business and is the bread winner in her family. Don't know her exact income but I know she supported her husband and hous on her income. I also know a groomer currently supporting her house as our husbands were coworker and their company downsized and let them go. We were lucky amd my old man found work. They weren't so lucky and almost a year later he is still looking. They also just built a new house right before the men lost their jobs. With her grooming job alone she has been supporting a family of 3.
    Henry David Thoreau

Because some people think yo ucan only make good money if you have a colelge degree in the STEM field, or you go into skilled trades.

That is a very false assumption. If you go check out my blog you can see how many successful people there are in this industry.

http://groomwise.typepad.com/dont_stop_believing_pet_g/
    My Blog The two most important days in your life are the day you are born and the day you find out why. –Mark Twain

Yes, but they don't work in the grooming-industry obvously. But even Hairdresser can make good money, of course only self employed.

Yes, but they don't work in the grooming-industry obvously. But even Hairdresser can make good money, of course only self employed.
    Not true at all. A good hairdresser and a good groomer are very very easily employed. Make good money. Employee or owner. You have a veey negative view of an industry you think you want to be part of. Good luck making a decision.
    My Blog The two most important days in your life are the day you are born and the day you find out why. –Mark Twain

Default Just want to throw this thought in....

Regardless off what job you do , be it grooming , some other trade , or go to uni for a degree or PhD or what have you to be a doctor or a lawyer , you won't be making the thousands you seem to keep mentioning, not for a long time.

Like any job you will start at the bottom usually on the lower end of the pay scale because you are NEWLY QUALIFIED. You will not have the same experience or knowledge as some one who has been in that field for 10,15,20 years so you can't expect to be paid the same right away. Please keep that in mind when deciding on your career.

As for pay , I don't feel happy saying how much I am paid , but in the UK , but as an employee I'm above the minimum wage and the national living wage ( a new thing that's been implemented for over 25's basically a better minimum wage ) and its only my wage coming into the household supporting myself and my husband who is out of work. We have no debt , we don't live beyond what comes into the household we are comfortable happy and content.
    In fact we are booking a holiday at the end of the week ... Though not sure where.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast