Default Can someone please help me?

I work for a corporate store, where I signed a two year contract. I recently transferred from my home store for a few different reasons, some personal, most not.

I HATE this new store. I can't stop crying. I haven't felt this way about a job in years. Have you ever walked into a place and known immediately that you were in the wrong environment? That's where I'm at. I have six months left in my contract, and well, I don't care if I have to pay back the money. All I'm concerned about is 1, I haven't been at my current salon long enough for them to really be a reference (and I don't want them to know yet, because I am afraid of retaliation by my co-workers if not my managers) and 2, I don't know if another salon would hire me if I skipped out on my contract, especially since I haven't been at this salon for long. I'm worried about my future. I can't keep this up for much longer.

Why don't you tell us some of the reasons why you immediately knew it was the wrong environment? Also let us know why you moved from the home store. No one can help you unless we know details.

In 35 years, I have never gone home and cried over my job, so you might want to seek professional help to guide you to your next job., such as how to do research on a potential job opening before signing a commitment form.

Happy seeking help

Dolly's Barking Bubbles, LLC

www.dollysbarkingbubbles.com

Hopefully someone can weigh in on the 2 yr contract thing as well. I know several groomers who just skipped on their 2 yr contract and never paid them back. Plus I don't think the next place that hires you can ask the former place too many questions???

The only job I have had that I hated, was, it's kind of funny.. but it was 1977 and my friend and I went to work for the college we graduated from. They were transferring everything from paper to computer. And remember.... 1977... data entry. NOT FUN! And we were in this beige basement and our boss was on the verge of a heart attack all the time... and he wouldn't even let us have plants in the basement. It was horribly smelly, damp.. and then the boss. Thankfully I had my friend, but then she got pregnant and bailed on me lol.. but oh boy I dreaded going to work. I had just finished cosmetology school and was trying to find a job in a salon, so this was DEFINITELY interim.

But yes.. tell us more... what you hate. And I really don't think you have to say you skipped out on a job when it comes to the next job.
    Debbie
    There's always room for another rose in the garden.

Wow sorry for your feelings, trust them. But, tell us more exactly.

I feel for you. But what is it?

Why don't you tel us what is wrong and maybe we can help you manage your feelings and issues a little better.

I walked out of my corporate store a year into my two year contract and they did not come after me. My coworker left a few years later and another girl went with her, and I think the other girl left Petsmart 6mo to a year into her contract. They opened up their own place (15 miles away from that location) and they sent her a letter about the contract and paying them back, yada yada yada. They consulted with a lawyer who told them to just ignore it. Those contracts are rarely legal. No business can stop you from making a living. As long as you do not physically go into their system and steal client information you will be fine.

I'm sorry you're going through this. I walked out of my job all those years ago due to very valid reasons, and the change also happened after I transferred to a different store (in another state) and I was utterly miserable. I am now back in my home state, thriving at at independant salon and have dreams of someday soon(ish) opening up my own place so I can officially put all of those years of dealing with a crummy work environment behind me.

I have worked for both of the major corporate Pet somethings and environments can duffer greatly between salons even tough it is technically the same employer. It all boils down to difference in management styles IMO. As far as a resume goes you would just put you worked at Petwhatever. You wouldn't actually seperate the locations you worked for. I would put the contact for the location you liked & not the one you are currently at.

As for wanting to leave. I was there when they switched from sending groomers to acadamy at an accredited axhool to doing in house "academy" because so many groomers would get the education and bounce. IMO you agrreed to the two years and should tuff it out. You only have 6 months left. Unless it is a hostile work environment (which you should call you states labor department to habdle if it is) then I would say keep your head low, go in do what you have to and as soon as you walk out that door anything that that place is doing to get to you stays there! Try your best not to take work home. Start looking for a new job about a month before the 2 years is uo and when you find ine put in your 2 weeks notice.

Even if we do not like where we are at we should always carry ourselves with integrety and professionalism. Good luck tuffing it out. Just keep telling yourselve it's a temporary situation.
    It's not what you look at that matters; it's what you see.
    Henry David Thoreau

Quote Originally Posted by Naturally Furry View Post
    I have worked for both of the major corporate Pet somethings and environments can duffer greatly between salons even tough it is technically the same employer. It all boils down to difference in management styles IMO. As far as a resume goes you would just put you worked at Petwhatever. You wouldn't actually seperate the locations you worked for. I would put the contact for the location you liked & not the one you are currently at.

As for wanting to leave. I was there when they switched from sending groomers to acadamy at an accredited axhool to doing in house "academy" because so many groomers would get the education and bounce. IMO you agrreed to the two years and should tuff it out. You only have 6 months left. Unless it is a hostile work environment (which you should call you states labor department to habdle if it is) then I would say keep your head low, go in do what you have to and as soon as you walk out that door anything that that place is doing to get to you stays there! Try your best not to take work home. Start looking for a new job about a month before the 2 years is uo and when you find ine put in your 2 weeks notice.

Even if we do not like where we are at we should always carry ourselves with integrety and professionalism. Good luck tuffing it out. Just keep telling yourselve it's a temporary situation.
    Good info all around, and really like this one. Wish best for O.P.

Quote Originally Posted by pei_able View Post
    I work for a corporate store, where I signed a two year contract. I recently transferred from my home store for a few different reasons, some personal, most not.

I HATE this new store. I can't stop crying. I haven't felt this way about a job in years. Have you ever walked into a place and known immediately that you were in the wrong environment? That's where I'm at. I have six months left in my contract, and well, I don't care if I have to pay back the money. All I'm concerned about is 1, I haven't been at my current salon long enough for them to really be a reference (and I don't want them to know yet, because I am afraid of retaliation by my co-workers if not my managers) and 2, I don't know if another salon would hire me if I skipped out on my contract, especially since I haven't been at this salon for long. I'm worried about my future. I can't keep this up for much longer.
    I would not leave and expect to work at another their locations. Can I understand it, sure. but I have worked in worse conditions in groomer shops, you know the regular non corp ones. I worked at one after corp and said, OMG corp at least allowed us this and that, gave benefits...and turned out the owner gave us all kinds cr a p when she had moods.