Default How do you find good quality employees

Hello, Seems to be a struggle to find good quality groomers for my business.

Besides this site what resources do you use to fine employees?

Thanks.

David

That's one of the hardest problems to solve in this business. Training your own people from the ground up is maybe the best way. If there's a grooming school near you, that could be an option. Even if it's some distance from you, you could contact them and let them know that you're looking for someone. The best groomers I've had over the years were fresh out of school and eager for that first job. The best bathers were ones that I trained with little to no experience.
    Old groomers never die, they just go at a slower clip.

Groom on!!!

Yes, easier to find a unicorn than a reliable, drama and drug free groomer that can actually groom well. I have a few that have been with me but the rest are a revolving door.

I had employees that stole, left counterfeit cash for me, another shot in a police chase, another shooting heroin in my shop bathroom, another driving drunk. I am actually in the process of selling my shop and my mobile and going it alone after 10 years of running an employee based business. I will have less stress and expenses being 1 groomer, 1 van.

This industry is going nowhere fast. I live in a city of 2 mil and there are NO grooming schools, only corp in-house training. How are new groomers minted without trade schools and apprentice programs. We need qualified groomers and there are none. Most groomers working here are like me, middle-aged and no one to follow us.

Another problem is pay. Us owners have seen double digit increases in expenses and overhead. Retail rents are going nuts. What that translates to is we barely can afford a 50% comm rate and pay the bills, also we do not enjoy price increases like other businesses. An average yorkie groom is 45-50 and in 10 years from now will be the same price, except our expenses will go up. Big reason mobile grooming is getting more popular and retail strip stores are disappearing.

Agree with both replies. I have found my best experience is bringing up my own employees from bather to groomer if they have the skills and desire. Some doubt they can do it, so that blocks them, but used madson management and started asst groomer some time ago, and one still works with me now after 6 years.

Quote Originally Posted by KarlaSnyder View Post
    That's one of the hardest problems to solve in this business. Training your own people from the ground up is maybe the best way. If there's a grooming school near you, that could be an option. Even if it's some distance from you, you could contact them and let them know that you're looking for someone. The best groomers I've had over the years were fresh out of school and eager for that first job. The best bathers were ones that I trained with little to no experience.
    I agree with Karla. I trained my best bathers, and assistants. Sometimes groomers, and sometimes I have hired from a school, but I call them asst groomers. No one fresh out of school is a well rounded groomer. Yet I don't have to teach most basics, so they can be an asst for a year and get more experience. In the meantime I have groomers working for me granted at lower level skill levels but then I only need as little as 1 exp groomer on staff as well as myself doing finish only.

Ok this discouraging . The difficult search for quality groomers goes on.

It is, but let me tell you. I ask and ask sometimes, please send me a great groomer. I wait a week, a month and two months, and you know one usually shows up.

The best advice I could give is to screen potiential employees thouroughly. Be clear and concise on expections and pay grade at interciew so there is no confusion later on. And be patient. Wait until the right canidate comes along and don't just hire the first person that walks through the door because you need someone. I hope you do find someone that fits your team with out to much headache. Good luck!
    It's not what you look at that matters; it's what you see.
    Henry David Thoreau

Thanks for the comments.

There seems to be a shortage of groomers in my area. I don’t know

It has always been difficult. As I know how to groom, I focus on my bathers and keeping them and doing lots of bath dogs. Way more bath dogs at times than grooming, yet I have been able to keep another groomer steady for the last few years. I find a groomer that is in the 40s or 50s typically stays much longer than the 20s 30s.