Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Parents don't want that i become a Dog-Groomer.

My parent's don't want that i become a dog-groomer. The reason why they don't want that is because they believe that it doesn't pay enough. They want even kick me out, because i don't obey them. They want that i get a "real" career they say. Dog-grooming is for them just a "hobby". What can i do? Should i obey my parents and become something they want? They even believe dog-grooming leads to poverty, because it doesn't pay enough. Atleast that's what my parents believe. So what hsould i do? They rather want to see me in a high paying position like doctor, lawyer, engineer.

My opinion is that IF they are supporting you, then you need to do what they say -- at least until you save up enough money to do what you want.
    It's not right to expect people - and parents are people -- to pay for something they strongly believe is going to hurt you.
    Lots of people start out in different careers, then switch to pet grooming after a while.
    Once you are independent, you can choose to do what you want.

How old are you? You live in Switzerland? I think it might be hard to compare apples to oranges so to speak. Grooming in the United States might be vastly different then grooming in Switzerland.

How old are you ? Because there's is a point where you need to make your own decisions whilst still being respectful to your parents. And your choice of career us one of those.

Its not what you but how you say it that counts. If you go in all guns blazing then they will be on the defensive. You will need to pick a time to talk to them when they are not stressed or already doing a dozen things at once. Keep calm and respectful when talking.

Explain why you want to be a dog groomer and why you think that is a better choice for you
    Do your own research into owning a successful grooming salon and look at the cost factors and do the numbers. Doing this not only prepares you but shows your parents you are serious about this career choice and the numbers could well surprise them at how good this work can pay. ( I kinda did thisand it helped)
    Explain why you don't want to do jobs A,B,C
    Maybe have a chat with a long established salon owner I. Your area with your parents there so they can here first hand how well the salon is doing ( although don't just show up , schedule an appropriate time for a lengthy chat like that)

My mum wanted me to go and become a midwife I respectfully said no I don't want that and explained why. That I do not want to deal with human poop vomit and pee amongst other bodily fluids, that I didn't want to deal primarily with people and that I wanted to work with animals.I made this choice as soon as I left school at 16. Mum wasn't happy about until she saw how happy it made me. She thought the same, its a hobby not a job but that can be said about a lot of jobs, hairdressing , make up artists, cake decorators, nails techs just to name a few from the top of my head.

The key is to be respectful. You still live under their roof and how you talk to them will have a big impact on how receptive they are to hearing you out.

So i should get a Job they like? But that means i need to get an university degree.

I taught workshops on the business side at some grooming schools in the USA while groomers taught the art of grooming. I would estimate no less than half of the US students had friends that were skeptical, in fact it is one of the first questions I asked of the class. Parents were either excited, or not, very much not.

A short period of my life I worked in major law firms in SF and LA, the ones with 300 attorneys or more. Law clerks, which are tomorrow's attorneys, would work at the firms for a short period getting some experience. Well living in town I would go out and about a lot in evenings, and do you know I would see some of these law clerks. THEY FREAKED if they had a hidden life and recognized me. Quite often they were in a local "rock group" performing a club. They would find me and say don't tell anyone!!!!!!!!!!!! I said your secret is safe. I always asked, is this your parents talking? YES was always the answer. They wanted their son or daughter to be an attorney, obviously with TONS of pressure. I would see them walk during lunch with their heads down, hating their careers. So I understand your pressure, it's alive and well everywhere, even in grooming here.

Most of the grooming students simply didn't listen. And many did quite well. You will probably find your first years while you learn productivity to be the most difficult, but I know indirectly many groomers across Europe that do well. My family published a book on the business side and we sold a few thousand copies in Europe, and many have called and written over the years. Most setup a small shop in town or in their homes. Every year Europeans enter our online Double K Rags to Riches Photo Contest www.ragstorichescontest.com in the International Division, and I can see in the pictures their shops. They appear to be doing fine. Remember you can boost income beyond what you earn as a groomer by having a shop with perhaps another groomer, and selling some appropriate retail, and some offer additional pet services.

But this takes time. Now do other groomers go through this and persist. One day I got a call from a MAJOR corporation of household products, I can say that company is in the top 10 biggest companies in the US. It was the CFO Chief Financial Officer, top of the chain of a mega billion company. I thought, why is he calling me? Guess what? His daughter had resisted college and being in a career he wanted for her, and he actually called to ask me about a career in pet grooming. He honored her choice, at least after awhile. She wanted a nice shop with employees and perhaps expanding later, so he bought Grooming Business in a Box - Business Plan Helper to create a plan for her. He called back by the way and gave me one of the best endorsements ever too, saying it was the BEST business plan software for a SERVICE business in the US. So there is hope that your parent's opinion could change.

I had another grooming school student and her father actually came to the business side course. He was a downtown San Francisco type vp of sales. Before I met them at the school I didn't know them but he called me. I could hear wind in the background. I asked where are you calling from? We are up on Half Dome mountain at Yosemite National Park, that would sort of be like the Matterhorn in Switzerland. On their climb he agreed to her career choice and wanted to help. AGAIN, it was his view that she should have her own business eventually and he would help, and he did.

So it might take some persistence. Why not contact the Swiss Groomer Team https://www.facebook.com/Swiss-Groomer-109721062428639/ and get to know more at the European Grooming Assn https://www.europeangroomingassociation.com/members.php ? Perhaps having new friends in the industry will help, and you can ask about incomes from "locals."
    Coordinators post updates to the message for grooming events, members contests, PG.com Classified Ads, GroomerTALK Radio shows and PG.com Magazine online.

Yes that's the Problem, they believe grooming will very likely lead to povert,y but is that really true? I don't think so.

No, I'm saying that if you are wanting to go against their wishes , you need to do so in a respectful way. I'm not saying you "have to get a job that they will be happy with".

You need to show them that grooming can be an amazing career but you need to show you are dedicated enough to make it work and that you won't give up at the first problem that arises.

Your parents care enough about you to worry about your future and that you make enough to live comfortably.

Again taking to successful groomers in your area about it like others have said will help. It will take time and persistence .

Quote Originally Posted by Stellar11 View Post
    Yes that's the Problem, they believe grooming will very likely lead to povert,y but is that really true? I don't think so.
    Just how old are you? I ask because you keep asking the same thing over and over.....take the advise given by others here and talk with groomers in Switzerland. But I can say that you will not make much money in ANY career when first starting out.....money comes with EXPERIENCE in any field of work.
    Ain't always easy to stand up for what is right.

Quote Originally Posted by Emma123 View Post
    My opinion is that IF they are supporting you, then you need to do what they say -- at least until you save up enough money to do what you want.
    It's not right to expect people - and parents are people -- to pay for something they strongly believe is going to hurt you.
    Lots of people start out in different careers, then switch to pet grooming after a while.
    Once you are independent, you can choose to do what you want.
    ^^^This^^^
    Depending on how old you are, if you don't wan't to "obey" your parents, you can move out and then do whatever you want.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I have a degree in Legal Studies and worked as a Paralegal for nearly 30 years. My parents wanted me, as a first generation American, to have a white collar job and work as a professional in an office, wearing nice clothing and sitting in air conditioning. I did it, but I was miserable, even though I made good money. Not long ago I went to grooming school and started my own mobile grooming business before I even finished school. I am happier with my work than I have ever been before, and better yet, I make 50% more money than I ever did as a Paralegal/Accounting Manager.

Making the change was not easy, as my husband (like your parents) thought I was making a mistake and was completely unsupportive. He's changed his tune a bit now that I have succeeded and make more money than he ever imagined.

My suggestion to you is to try and get a job in the field before you commit. It may end up being something different than what you imagine and you may decide it is not for you. I don't know where you are, but from my experience, the only way to really make money in this field is to work for yourself. I made very little working for others.

Good luck.

So i should do something that doesn't interest me?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast