Thread: Im curious...

Default Im curious...

How long is the life span of scissors ( middle of the road kind of shears like say ... Roseline) be if they are sharpened by a good sharpener?

I've been told differing things like they can last the life of a career or it can be as short as 3 years.

I'm not a busy salon ( 3-5 a day on avarage, including bath dogs) and I do take care of my shears and scissors. And I usually have they sharpened twice a year .

Can any shed some light on this .

They should last many many years if you are for them well and are only sharpened 2 times a year.
    Ain't always easy to stand up for what is right.

It probably depends on how many times you get your scissors sharpened a year, because each time, the sharpener takes away a layer of metal. I have 13 pairs of Chris Christensen scissors, plus a pair of Kenchii and Sharps. Being mobile, I do not groom as many dogs a year as a salon, so I get mine sharpened once/twice a year. My scissors are all 10 years old and they look and cut like they were brand new. Always purchase quality scissors by a well known brand, and expect to pay good money.........and they will last thru your career......(if you don't drop them all day long on cement !)

Happy purchasing quality

Dolly's Barking Bubbles, LLC

www.dollysbarkingbubbles.com

Thanks guys

I would say at least 10 years.

I have shears at least 15 years old. And somehow I never dropped them.

I got 2 pair of 6.5" curved double ducks. Dropped many times. Love them. 11 years old.
    Last edited by Kurt99; 04-11-18 at 02:50 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Kurt99 View Post
    I got 2 pair of 6.5" curved double ducks. Dropped many times. Love them. 11 years old.
    Good ole double ducks! I also have 2 pair of 6.5" curves (DD) love them myself! ( plus retired set, see below) They might be cheap but they are my go to on a perfect snowcone topknot.
    I posted on another thread about my 29 yr old double duck 6.5" curves....was just told last yr they could no longer be sharpened.
    Last edited by Cyn; 04-11-18 at 05:41 PM.
    Ain't always easy to stand up for what is right.

Life span can also vary from the sharpener. Some affect the life span taking too much off the metals if they are not familiar with pet shears vs human shears.