Offended pay groomer for interview

i had a girl come in for interview she did a standerd poo ....lady was happy left tip ... i had her come in the next day and do a little dog and wash my shizue....that was ok so i booked her a husky and a small shitzue husky was fine but the **** zue bit her in the lip tearing it and requiring medicle attention....i think ill look for someone else....she wants me to pay her for the dogs she did and her doctors bill ....what do i do

You got about $300 to $500 of labor out of her.
    She did what you wanted her to do. She did a decent job grooming big dogs for free because she wanted a job so badly.
    She got nothing except an injury and bills, and now the feeling of not being offered a job.
    If it happened to you, what would you want from the salon owner?

Definitely pay her medical bill. That seems like a lot of work for an interview, but if she agreed to it, then no don't pay that.

WTF............I can't believe you had her come in numerous days to groom your dogs.....then you REFUSE to pay her medical bill and NOT HIRE HER ??

What reason do you have to not hire her, after she did a good job on grooming....... for FREE

You are LUCKY she is not suing you !!....I would have

Happy not working for you

Dolly's Barking Bubbles, LLC

www.dollysbarkingbubbles.com

You are KIDDING me right????? YOU have to pay her and YOU have to pay the medical bills and let me tell you its not gonna be fun when she sues if you do not. HOLY COW I cannot believe this is even being asked.....
    My Blog The two most important days in your life are the day you are born and the day you find out why. –Mark Twain

Pay her AND the medical bill and give her the dang job.

I have to echo what everyone else is saying.

A working interview is one thing (coming in for an hour or two and demonstrating knowledge of tools and techniques) but having someone come in twice and complete full grooms with no compensation??!

She at least needs compensation for the grooms and her medical bill.

In our CA business we did 4 hour hands on grooming interviews. Legally we were required to pay minimum wage for this type of interview. We did not have to deduct payroll taxes for the 4 hour pay, and we could stop the interview at any time. They got paid only for the hours until the interview was called off. If they got hired they of course went on to the regular payroll. Our workers comp covered test interviews. So it may not be the same in your state, but there is a legal basis in all 50 states how to handle this. I have never heard of not paying. If there was a chance to be hired this is employer - employee relationship and there are federal and unique state laws governing the procedures.

Quote Originally Posted by Particentral View Post
    You are KIDDING me right????? YOU have to pay her and YOU have to pay the medical bills and let me tell you its not gonna be fun when she sues if you do not. HOLY COW I cannot believe this is even being asked.....
    Exactly this! Give her the tip from the Spoo as well.
    After all this I wouldn't work for you if you paid me 100% of grooms. Sheeze, you sound like a very undesirable employer.
    Ain't always easy to stand up for what is right.

In the last 22 years, I have always been paid for grooming a working interview dog! The only exception for not paying her might be if the prospective employee injures the dog resulting in a vet bill, but clearly that didn’t happen here. As a business owner, you are definitely responsible for employee (even temporary ones) injuries to be covered by your insurance or workers comp. I guess I don’t understand why you wouldn’t want to hire her. Good groomers are in short supply, she sounds like a reliable hard worker, and anyone can have a workplace accident.