Default How hard can it be? (From Southern LA)

Hey yall! Im from Southern Louisiana, 5 years as a kennel tech and bather with a passion for pet styling! Grooming school prospects are slim to none here in LA. My apprenticeship through a groomer was lackluster, I left in 6 months because I am not interested in working at a shave shack. I was never even taught breed specific grooms. I want nothing to do with big box salons. How hard is it to apprentice under a reputable shop? What does the shop get out of a newbie, and why would they want to take you on? Where do I search for such a thing?

I am desperate to get into grooming full time but I feel as if its very underground and hush hush sometimes. I own a lot of my own equipment, and I am saving for my own high velocity dryer any advice is much appreciated. Ty

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Wow! Tried putting myself in your situation and think of how to find a spot to apprentic.
    First thought- Angie's List or similar site to find reputable shops with decent reviews as a place to start going to to ask about apprenticeships or training. For me an apprenticeship is unpaid while training means you are paying the instructor. Either way you'll probably want to supplement your training with some online instruction as well. AND there ar a number of books and videos that are very helpful.
    Good luck following your dream.

Beggers can't be choosers. Might want to rethink going back to that shave shack. If it's what you say it is, they should have no problem with you opening a book and doing what you wish. Blank canvas for you there. Trust me, a shop with high expectations is not going to be an easy road IF they even let you step foot inside.

You will be able to learn a lot from watching Jodi Murphy's DVD's on grooming different breeds. She is very good at explaining every step of every part of the body to groom.....plus she does BOTH sides of the dog, whereas Jay Scruggs DVD's only demonstrates one side of the dog. Now, at first glance, you say "so what", but different sides of a dog demands different ways to place your body and hands while grooming the opposite side.

Good Luck

Happy watching DVD's

Dolly's Barking Bubbles, LLC

www.dollysbarkingbubbles.com

The NDGAA has a find-a-groomer page that lists a couple of Master Certified Groomers in both Lake Charles and New Orleans. You could arrange a chat with these groomers (but call first to arrange visiting during a slow time) and ask if they know of any shops looking for an apprentice in your area. Have a clean and professional appearance ( no ripped pants and logo t-shirts please), and a couple of resumes they can pass on to other groomers when you visit. Good luck!

I had a mentor in Alexandria, LA many many many years ago. I do think she is still working at the same salon (she used to own it but sold to an employee) The name of it is still the same though. It is Sandy's Clip and Dip. I don't know if she still does mentoring but if you want to check, just Google the shop name in Alexandria, LA.
    Ain't always easy to stand up for what is right.

Adding to these ideas, even renting a month or two of streaming at learn2groomdogs.com will for such a small cost give you HUGE lessons if budget is tight. Most grooming owners don't even think of apprenticeships any more, but does that mean you cannot approach them? NO WAY. Talk to them, I bet if you keep at it, get out there, something will happen. They just worry you work for them and you take customers or open up working next to them, you know fear fear fear and I guess it does happen. So what's not to go out be honest and make friends. I worked as a bather and lots of places who didn't have a sign out looking for someone and things developed. Give it a try.

I would be hard pressed to have an apprenticeship program today. Based on several experiences they all left but one within the year. The one stayed and is one of my best groomers and she just has great character. I don't mind training bathers, but not groomers.