Thread: Wish me luck!!

Default Wish me luck!!

I'm taking on a foster tonight, this needs a bit of a backstory...

I work in a facility that is partnered with a few local rescues, most of them are foster based meaning there is no facility and these dogs will board here until finding a foster home. I've had numerous fosters over the years and all have been rehabilitated, most come from commercial breeder busts (read; puppy mill) and need some TLC.

I have a bit of a reputation as someone who has worked very well with resource guarding behaviors and my dogs are very receptive to foster dogs in the house.

Enter, Vela. She is a pit mix less than 1yr old and has some extreme resource guarding behaviors as well as leash aggression and barrier frustrations. The poor dear can't function properly in boarding (lots of energy) and has been returned several times from foster homes. I'm pretty much her last option as nobody wants to take her on...

Crossing my fingers.

Yes, the best of luck to you. That poor puppy must've had some terrible things happen to her. Maybe being so young, she'll have a chance to re-learn her bad behavior. You and your dogs will be a big help to her.
    Old groomers never die, they just go at a slower clip.

Groom on!!!

Best of luck to you. You know... my dog that died on Christmas Day, we got as a wee pup. I did everything I was supposed too to stop resource guarding and he did it anyway. He was really odd. He sent one of our old dogs to the ER for getting to close to him and his food. So.. everyone was fed separately, bones given separately. But he was so awesome with other dogs of all sizes and ages and a love bug. Very needy. We called him Needy Petey lol.

But about a month or two before he died (and now I wonder if he had an "episode") he threw up his breakfast, then stood guard over it like a crazy dog!! Charley, our other dog wanted to sniff it. Good thing I was there or there would have been a fight. Petey was growling and just being awful about his vomit!!! I managed to grab both dogs (no easy feat lol) and throw them out of my bedroom, shut the door, then I cleaned it up. But Petey was simply horrible!! It was really surprising.. we just kind of chocked it up to his oddness.

Anyway.. good luck with Vela.
    Debbie
    There's always room for another rose in the garden.

Quote Originally Posted by daesue View Post
    Best of luck to you. You know... my dog that died on Christmas Day, we got as a wee pup. I did everything I was supposed too to stop resource guarding and he did it anyway. He was really odd. He sent one of our old dogs to the ER for getting to close to him and his food. So.. everyone was fed separately, bones given separately. But he was so awesome with other dogs of all sizes and ages and a love bug. Very needy. We called him Needy Petey lol.

But about a month or two before he died (and now I wonder if he had an "episode") he threw up his breakfast, then stood guard over it like a crazy dog!! Charley, our other dog wanted to sniff it. Good thing I was there or there would have been a fight. Petey was growling and just being awful about his vomit!!! I managed to grab both dogs (no easy feat lol) and throw them out of my bedroom, shut the door, then I cleaned it up. But Petey was simply horrible!! It was really surprising.. we just kind of chocked it up to his oddness.

Anyway.. good luck with Vela.
    Needy Petey, I love that!!

I've seen other dogs resource guard vomit before...and feces for that matter, GROSS!

Vela did very well last night, I'd give her a B-. One small spat with Luna, my pit, over attention but after a time out she chilled out and had a very successful night. Shared the love seat with my pug and although I have her sleeping kenneled overnight, I usually wake up around 9am to potty everyone and lie in bed for an hour or so and Vela shared the bed with all of us!

I wish for the best possible out come for her and for you

Thanks for everyone's kind words!

Today marks a week with Vela, she's doing pretty well with me. Occasional spat with my resident dogs but nothing major. Doing so well with random people (my friends) coming over.

I'm proud of her!

Is there an update Cosmonaut on Vela?

Quote Originally Posted by Brit View Post
    Is there an update Cosmonaut on Vela?
    Aw thanks for asking!

She's doing quite well all things considered. Leash training is going amazing, I am able to walk her past reactive dogs in crates without her attempting to fence fight.

She does seem to have some PTSD (puppy mill) and I believe it is specifically dark haired men (possibly with facial hair) as she has snapped twice on a friend with dark hair but now loves this specific friend. She also reacted on my brother who has dark hair. I'm currently working on behavior modification training with progressive success! She's currently napping in a crate in my office, she loves coming to work and playing with her friends.

Sharing toys and antlers with my resident dogs! Doesn't chew on anything she's not supposed to and loves to play tug with Luna (my avatar)

Progress!

Here is her and I, her and my dogs Luna and Gordon sunbathing and her "spot" in my friends car.
    Attached Images Attached Images

That's awesome to hear. Vela is too cute. I hope her PTSD fades away completely in time, even though that's pretty hard I suppose.

Well...

As of yesterday I officially adopted her!!

I'm as happy as a clam! She's mine for real!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by CosmonautRik View Post
    Well...

As of yesterday I officially adopted her!!

I'm as happy as a clam! She's mine for real!!!!
    That's awsome!! Congrats! One reason why I can't foster. First is because my Jack would try to eat anything that came in the house and second I would never want to let they go!
    It's not what you look at that matters; it's what you see.
    Henry David Thoreau

Congratulations!!!!❤️

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk