Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Help my quest for the perfect shampoo line!

Alright fellow groomers, we all have been through this. The career-long trial and error process of finding awesome shampoos.

My goal, to find the most natural (preferably all-natural) shampoo that can be used on most pets. I have limited storage and would love to reduce my garage shelf down to a manageable amount of shampoo gallons sitting around. Any advice from other seekers would be helpful. I have about 10 gallons of shampoo in my garage that might never get used, so I am hoping to not add to the shelves of reject shampoo!

My details:
    -I groom dogs and cats
    -Mobile with recirculator (needs to rinse quickly and not suds up too much)
    -Hard water
    -Dry climate (my poor hands!)
    -Dogs here have TONS of seasonal allergies (lots of flaky, itchy and yeasty skin)

Shampoos I have tried and ditched:
    -Davis (really don't like, except for the medicated shampoos and Quick Dry spray)
    -Espree (drys my skin)
    -Tropiclean (wayyy too sudsy)
    -PetAgroom
    -Coat Handler (too sudsy)
    -Envirogroom Skin Therapy (I don't think it cleans well enough)
    -Best Shot
    -Chubbs bars (the absolute worst on my skin!!!)

Shampoos I have kept:
    -Les Poochs (I like all of it, but not 100% satisfied this is the best)
    ----I will continue to always use F&T and Hypo on cats. I love the whitening shampoo as well.
    -Special FX (My new favorite for economy cleaning/shine on dogs, BUT I think its drying out my hands)

Shampoos I want to try:
    -Why Bitch
    -Quadruped (Maybe the Super Luster would meet my needs?)
    -Nature's Specialties (I have tried a couple of them, just not in my recirc system)

I don't use conditioner often, I usually use a leave-in spray (Statzco) but I am not thrilled about it. I am thinking about trying the FX leave in spray.

I use Pure Paws and Chris Systems on my show poodle and love it, but Pure Paws is not economical enough for my business and I am fairly certain Chris Systems is not natural.

Hi, I happened to read your post and noticed I seen all brands except 1. Ez-groom all natural pet products. My name is Page and I am a sales rep for Ez-groom, and we have many great products! I'd love to send you some information on our products. Everything is hand mixed and bottled right in our building and we have been in business for over 40 years and serve groomers and pet lovers all over the United States and over sea. We havealso been featured in the groomer to groomer magazine for our CRYSTAL WHITE all color brightener. But if interested my email is page@ez-groom.com and I can get some info to you! Have a great day

Maybe you are using too much shampoo in your bathing system when you complain about "too sudsy" I use a bathing system and use Tropiclean and I never thought it was too sudsy.

Wear rubber gloves.....cheap purple ones at Wal-Mart only cost a couple of bucks and really saves your hands. Use them on a couple of dogs and you will never go back to bare handed bathing. The small grooves on the gloves really make a great lather while washing the heads.

You are probably not going to find the "perfect" shampoo for all different types of skin conditions plus the type of water you have. I would bet that every salon and mobile van has numerous brands and types of shampoo to accommodate the different needs you will be presented with.

All your unused shampoos would be much appreciated at your local human society.

Happy having a variety of suds

Dolly's Barking Bubbles, LLC

www.dollysbarkingbubbles.com

My most consistently used shampoo day in and day out is Quadruped all in one, and the luster is fine too. I use their whitener, but a few times a day we use other shampoos as well including showseasons and grimeinator.

And it might not be the shampoo that is causing your dry hands. It might be the air from the HV dryer. Damp hands with high air flow can cause problems.

I agree with Dolly. The purple gloves from Walmart are good. I also, at times, use a terry cloth mitten on my hand when drying dogs. Just made from an old bath towel.
    It will protect your hands and the dog will dry faster.

I agree with Dolly and Dogma, I really need to get back into the habit of using those purple scrubby gloves! I used to use them and it helped sooo much.
    As far as the HV dryer idea, thank you! I have never thought of that, I am sure that is adding to the dry skin.

I also know I will not find only ONE shampoo to do everything, but I am hoping to reduce the 15ish bottles in my van, lol. I am aiming for a realistic goal of maybe 5-6 different kinds.

1. Healthy skin/coat generic cleansing shampoo (Maybe the FX)
    2. Medicated shampoo (Medacetic or Quad Yucca)
    3. Hypo shampoo (unless something else on the list is already hypo and cat safe)
    4. Degreasing/cat shampoo (F&T)
    5. Conditioner spray (Maybe the FX)
    Possible 6. Conditioning/deshedding/luxury shampoo

Also, thanks Dolly for the recommendation on finding a home for the shampoo at the local shelter, I will definitely do that!

Isle of Dog. It's my mainstay shampoo. Even the regular shampoo can be used diluted to cleanse and rinse easily.

Why Bitch will cover most of your bases with what youre looking for. I absolutely recommend it, but try the smaller bottle of it first cause I've read some people have reactions to it. It will whiten and brighten, it is a great overall everyday shampoo, but had AMAZING super cleaning power for the grungiest of pups. It also had conditioners in it so a leave in spray is all I use with it. It doesn't get overly sudsy and rinses so easy...I'm mobile so I need that! They can keep you at 3 shampoos total in your salon...B3 (their regular), Protein (which is great for desheds/color treated/damaged hair), and Sugar Scrub (unscented hypo/facial shampoo). They are spendy but the dilution rate is awesome so you actually save a ton with it.
    I also like nature's specialties, which has an array of options to choose from. I started them this year and thought it was overly drying my hands, but found out after trying others that it's from the high velocity drier...long sleeves and a hand towel to "catch" water and air while drying had helped a lot....plus lots of lotion afterwards. For conditioning sprays I HIGHLY recommend their Quicker Slicker...great leave in, dematt, quick drying doorway that smells fantastic.
    I started the Pure Paws Subscription box and have liked them so far. You dilute them, with the "first bath" being stronger (8-10/1) then the "second bath" can be 2ce that diluted, so it can go further. And I like that you can mix the shampoos for one bath to get different results.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Thank you, that is all very valuable information!

Love EZ Groom shampoos. Hands down best smelling and clean well.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

When I first started I thought there was one line, that ONE LINE. No way, you will find your favorites like everyone else. You are off to a good start with this board, that's how I got started too some years ago. It's hard to imagine people that charge fees similar to mine and they only use Dawn dish soap on all dogs.

Forgot to say, the worst place to ever cutback is on your product. So what if the difference is $1 or 2 per pet, if it makes the pet look better, you enjoy, and the customers come back, never be cheap on product. That's my best wisdom on a still rather new groomer. We're talking about quarters or a dollar per dog, get the best that works for you.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast