Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
  1. Default Newbie - how much should I charge

Helloooooo - I am newly the proud owner of a used grooming van. I've been grooming for 2.5 years (second career for me - it ain't so easy at 50+). I am so fortunate that a client of mine (I've been grooming on the side in my house) works at a local, well regarded vet and she's been giving my number to prospective clients. I got a call from a woman with two 100 lbs. Akitas and I'm not sure how much to charge. I currently groom in a shop and my boss is very gracious so I will ask her opinion as well. I would appreciate any input.

Oh I live in Connecticut - where everything seems expensive.

Thanks so much and I'm so grateful to have found this forum - it's invaluable to have all you seasoned groomers sharing your opinions.

Susan

Well, this breed is double coated and will really take a lot of time drying them, especially since vans do not have cage dryers. I would contact a couple of mobile groomers in your State, (not in your area so the "competition" issue won't apply). and ask them what they would charge. Let them know that you are just starting out and that you live 50-75,100 miles away.

Happy going mobile and Merry Christmas

Dolly's Barking Bubbles, LLC

www.dollysbarkingbubbles.com

My price is 20 travel fee per house no matter amount of dogs. Akita is 85. So 105 total. 2 akitas 190.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

Follow Dolly's advice.....I am HB in Tx and wouldn't do an Akita for a penny under 150, obviously that is with no trip charge.
    Ain't always easy to stand up for what is right.

I agree with Cyn. With all the work that goes into those, it's a pretty penny

You need to figure out YOUR expenses and how much it costs to run YOUR business and household. Asking what others charge might be waaay off base for what YOU need to make.

For instance, Tom consistently quotes prices that are what I would charge or they are even lower then what I would charge. I have a storefront. Not mobile.
    Groomers in New York City would need to charge more then me due to more expensive living conditions.

A new van with big payments and higher insurance will cut into your budget more then vans that are paid off. Same goes for your household expenses. Do you have a mortgage or is it paid off? Still saving for kids college or are they out of the house and on their own? Do you have a partner or room mate that helps with expenses or is it just you?

You see were I’m going with this. Only YOU can figure out what you need to charge. You need to do the math. Once you KNOW how much you need to make an hour to stay in business you will be much more confident in quoting prices to your clients. “I can’t charge $25 per hour when it costs me $85 per hour to meet my expenses”.

Welcome to the world of being your own boss.

It doesnt work that way. You have to be competitive in your area. Just because your van may be 100 grand doesnt mean you can charge what you want to meet expenses.

If you price yourself too high you will have very few clients and make less money. The phone will ring and no takers.

Good for you Cyn to get 150 for a bath brush akita. Thats vastly over what is realistic imo. Yes, lots of coat but little to no trimming and no master groomer skill needed. I can bang one out in 1.25 hours. I would say 100 percent no takers in mobile in my city at that price.

Quote Originally Posted by IrishSetterTom View Post
    It doesnt work that way. You have to be competitive in your area. Just because your van may be 100 grand doesnt mean you can charge what you want to meet expenses.

If you price yourself too high you will have very few clients and make less money. The phone will ring and no takers.

Good for you Cyn to get 150 for a bath brush akita. Thats vastly over what is realistic imo. Yes, lots of coat but little to no trimming and no master groomer skill needed. I can bang one out in 1.25 hours. I would say 100 percent no takers in mobile in my city at that price.

As several of us either said or implied....85 is not enough.....but then you do consistently quote prices lower than us salon peeps.
    Have a pleasant weekend Tom
    OP, you can have your thread back....sorry to high jack it.
    Last edited by Cyn; 12-08-17 at 02:13 PM.
    Ain't always easy to stand up for what is right.

Quote Originally Posted by IrishSetterTom View Post

If you price yourself too high you will have very few clients and make less money. The phone will ring and no takers

This is how I think and price at my shop. Akitas are tricky. I'd think around 90$ per dog in a mobile scenario would get you the job. But then again it depends on your area.

Not mobile price for Akita is around $80 to $100 in my area, so I would price in that range and add your trip fees. Being mobile, I would say the higher end of range is more appropriate if you are in a fairly upscale area.

11. Default

Thanks everyone for the great advice. I ended up charging $100.00 each (which may be a little low for my area) and the client tipped me $50.00. So I was more than pleased. Although my body was a little achy the next day. Wowie zowie - major props to anyone 50+ in this line of work - it ain't for the faint of heart.

Congrats!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast