Oops Closing shop and want to work for me

Have you ever had this happen. A groomer about 10 miles away is closing her business. She just wants to work a shift and go home and not have all the owner things to do. She is a good groomer I've seen her work, and I understand her plight, she might even bring a good clientele. Actually that would be kind of necessary, I don't really need more than holiday help. I could possibly give her a couple days a week at least and she would have to bring more clientele. Any risks??

Quote Originally Posted by Brit View Post
    Have you ever had this happen. A groomer about 10 miles away is closing her business. She just wants to work a shift and go home and not have all the owner things to do. She is a good groomer I've seen her work, and I understand her plight, she might even bring a good clientele. Actually that would be kind of necessary, I don't really need more than holiday help. I could possibly give her a couple days a week at least and she would have to bring more clientele. Any risks??
    As a long time owner I can understand wanting to be able to " punch a clock" and actually be done with work when you leave for the day.
    If she is genuine, then I think it's a great deal. You get an influx of clients. If she's a good trained groomer then everyone is happy and if it's priced right then you both get income.
    Make sure your communication is very specific, no assumed duties.
    Have a written contact with maybe a temporary trial. I feel if she's willing to bring her clients ( give you a list? ) That she is genuine.
    I someday might want to step back from so much full time grooming. I would be awesome at manager and working for someone else ( as long as our work ethic & handling techniques didn't clash) would be ideal. Let us know how it goes

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

I had someone approach me about just this thing and it was not going to work. She wanted to bring Her clients to my salon, make an outrageous commission, use me for reception, my bathing staff (who can hardly keep up as it is) come and go as she pleased, KEEP HER CLIENTS and lots of other things....if you decide to do this make sure EVERYTHING is in writing, hire her as an employee not an IC or a table renter and HAVE A CONTRACT that the lawyer you use approves...I have also DONE THIS with another groomer and it was a cluster...well....you know.......I mean I am sure in some cases it mught work out but in many it will be an epic fail with YOU on the worst end of things,
    My Blog The two most important days in your life are the day you are born and the day you find out why. –Mark Twain

Thanks for input, lots to consider. As you say this need lots of evaluation, documentation, negotiations and the like. We will see, I am known for being extra careful.

I have seen this before, and it seemed to work out fine, but you really have to feel really secure in your decision.

We did this. It worked out fine. She had only been on her own for about a year, and got overwhelmed. She didn't bring a lot of clientele, but still about 40 or more I guess. She ended up moving out of state, husband got a great job out of s tate.

I have a friend that bought a shop this way, did she at least try to sell? Make the price really good. I have seen businesses sell at fire sale prices here for groomers moving away or other reasons. At least they recoup some of the equipment costs.

Have you decided?