Default Mid-Life Groomer Wannabe

Greetings! I'm a newbie to this forum and although im currently not a groomer, I want to be in the near future. I've worked at a dog/cat boarding kennel and have been an animal lover all my life, but I have no bathing/grooming experience. I'm 48 years old and I have to have Carpal Tunnel surgery. I just started a new job, so I will have to wait at least a year before I can go out on medical leave. In the mean time, I'm looking to get some experience bathing dogs. I contacted my local SPCA to see if they could use a hand. I talked to two different salons that advertised for bathers, but they wanted someone with experience. I'm enjoying reading the posts on here and hope to learn a lot and gain some support from you all.

Best wishes! I started grooming at 46. I now have a wonderful home-based business. I worked for someone 4 years to gain experience. It wasn't easy but not something you can't do. It has made a huge financial difference in our lives.!

Thank you! I'm hoping to hear from the SPCA soon. Ibe been reading here about the pros and cons of working for a corporation versus an independent grooming salon. The corporation near me doesn't require prior experience to be a bather. I'm going to keep checking around and see what is out there.

Quote Originally Posted by Mom23Bostons View Post
    Thank you! I'm hoping to hear from the SPCA soon. Ibe been reading here about the pros and cons of working for a corporation versus an independent grooming salon. The corporation near me doesn't require prior experience to be a bather. I'm going to keep checking around and see what is out there.
    I think starting in corporate can be good. It's an easy in usually and can at least give you a feel for the job. They do offer good benefit packages. The big thing with corporate is to stay out of the salon drama. Go in, do the job, go home. Mind you most all salons can have some degree of drama, but that all depends on management. I find corporate to be the worst for it though. At least it would be a way to get your foot in the door, get some experience under your belt and then move on. Good Luck!
    It's not what you look at that matters; it's what you see.
    Henry David Thoreau