Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Interesting, very interesting...

Some of you who have been long time members of this forum know that I have struggled with the competition in the area for the past 5 years. They charged half of what I do for a groom...i.e. their doodle prices are $35 for a full groom. I lost quite a few customers to them initially, some came back, some didn't.

The last week or so I've been getting more calls for grooming. Kind of odd, people around here usually (not everybody though) will go for the cheap grooms versus quality. Because of my second job, and my age (65), I usually only groom about 25 dogs a week (7-9 in a 10-12 hour day, 3-4 days/week). We're booked out through the middle of November now.

Finally checked out the competition's FB page. As of last week, they are no longer offering grooming!!! Wow. I see about a month or so ago they offered their grooming area for rent, looking for an IC. But an IC would have to more than double prices and I can't see their existing customers going for that.

Then, our bather is having some health issues. She's cutting back her hours to 2 days a week. Luckily I met a person locally who has a great background in grooming and she shows her dogs, too. She's starting as a groomer on Friday, limited basis until we see what will happen with the fall out from the competition. And yes...she will be an employee. We agreed on a starting wage and we'll see how it goes. Hopefully this will all work out for the best. I can start doing more kennel work along with grooming to give my husband a much needed break (no, he has not improved with his illness and won't). One day a time!!

Ah! A stroke of good fortune for ya, very happy for you!

Wow, finally some good karma headed back your way!!!!!
    We knew you just needed to hang in there and cheap comp would go out of biz......but they sure lasted longer than I thought they would!
    Congrats Pete!!!!!!
    Ain't always easy to stand up for what is right.

You've seemed booked out quite a lot if I recall correctly. Hope you get to raise your prices if that's been your concern. I know a groomer in WI and 40$ is pretty much the going rate for a shih tzu to say a schnauzer. Hope your boarding is doing well also! Glad to hear you got bookings so far in advance still. 25 dogs a week isn't shabby at all! I'm 50 and hope to groom well past 65 also. Cheers to ya!

I had a grooming instructor open up near me about 2 years ago after the Feds closed the main school here. I took a hit due to the low priced grooms for a spell of time. It all balanced out. She can only do so many. But then again we have lots of groomers here in Orlando. It's hard to figure reasoning behind people and their choices. I just make certain to get any new clients in immediately if possible. You have a great looking facility too btw!

Excellent news, it usually seems the big price choppers never stay around too long but I know you endured it for awhile. Thanks for sharing the good news.

So glad to see the tide may be turning for you! I truly hope this groomer is a perfect fit and gives you all a chance to breathe easier. Keep us posted !

This is a long overdue windfall of good fortune for you! You can’t stop the waves, but you can learn to surf. Glad to hear you were able to ride it out. Wishing you much success.

Wonderful Pete!

Super happy to hear some good news from you Pete!

Slow n' steady wins the race.
    Your determination and skilled work paid off.

Love the good news Pete!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast