Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Well it did not pan out sad but meant to be I guess. She told me she only wanted a bather now and not train and that it would be a year to get to the point past bather and for that I cant put 25 thousand miles on my car for a year and spend 50 or more on gas.
    Like my wife said look at this this way if one answered you there is bound to be one much closer that will eventually answer to.

Bigly worth it! Jump at it!

Oops I didn't read the prior post. But to get a master groomer willing to train you, I don't think a year wait is unreasonable. Grooming school is expensive and you don't learn like in a shop!

The problem is two one she essentially told me all she wants is a bather now no one to train and two my car will depreciate so fast adding 25000 miles a year to make minimum wage and spending fifty a week of that on gas financially its not a good deal for me right now Ill keep looking closer to home.

I am sorry it didn't work out. Keep looking.......some better chance is out there.
    Ain't always easy to stand up for what is right.

My wife and I talked about it and realistically to put that much wear on our car 575 miles a week to make minimum wage bathing the depreciation alone to the car does not justify it nor does the cost of fuel each week and not to mention the traffic in phoenix az. it took one hour five minutes today to drive it on a Saturday morning no traffic and with the way phoenix is rush hour it would have taken me 1 hour 45 min to drive it so three and half hours driving to bathe and make minimum and high miles on the car just does not financially make that a good decision.
    Ill keep looking

Another option. Basic house call pet grooming, or grooming in your home (if it is legal).
    Be honest. Tell potential clients that what you do is basic pet grooming. Nails. Bath. Drying. Shave down. No styling. No special requests. Buy nail trimmers, a 5 in 1 clipper, a pair of scissors, a few muzzles, a cheap but decent shampoo, a blow dryer.
    Yes, your dogs may look awful at first, but since you've set expectations low, your clients will know what to expect. Tell them you're training. Some dogs will be too wild for you to groom. That's okay. Just say that it would be better for them to go to a salon for that particular dog.
    The plus for your clients is "one at a time" service by a mature, gentle person at a reasonable (but not crazy low) fee.
    Make it all about your being a mature, reliable, kind-hearted choice.
    Build a basic website. If you can't, ask a neighbor's teenager to do it for you. Order business cards for $15 from Vistaprint.
    Start volunteering at the local animal shelter, grooming dogs there. They won't expect fancy styles.
    Honestly, most recent grads of grooming schools need to be re-trained by the salon owner, so you're no worse than they are at this point.

Hi Emma,
    Actually I did this for 2 months after I got out of school, I had a web site, I had table, dryer, lots of equipment and then my mom died and it all had to be sold.
    I did just what you said offered basic grooming cheaper a bit than salons and a simple way for some to not have to go out. I never had anyone complain except one lady where her dog tried biting me and I explained I had to use a muzzle and she refused to let me muzzle her dog so I did tell her I could not do it then. She was mad and said never heard of that and I explained that at a salon they may not tell her they had to muzzle her dog if they did.
    I think I will do that just look for any old job to get my equipment together again and go at it this way. Thank you for reminding me of that option.

Quote Originally Posted by ronwantstogroom View Post
    Hi Emma,
    Actually I did this for 2 months after I got out of school, I had a web site, I had table, dryer, lots of equipment and then my mom died and it all had to be sold.
    I did just what you said offered basic grooming cheaper a bit than salons and a simple way for some to not have to go out. I never had anyone complain except one lady where her dog tried biting me and I explained I had to use a muzzle and she refused to let me muzzle her dog so I did tell her I could not do it then. She was mad and said never heard of that and I explained that at a salon they may not tell her they had to muzzle her dog if they did.
    I think I will do that just look for any old job to get my equipment together again and go at it this way. Thank you for reminding me of that option.
    Also get a subscription for Learn to Groom Dogs, and watch it. We are also here for any questions you have about something.
    There will soon be Christmas specials coming for equipment as well. Some will be announced on this forum.....but if you go ahead and make an account with a few venders, they will email you specials.
    Ain't always easy to stand up for what is right.

On Youtube, you can also find demonstrations by people from the Forum. ItzaClip has fun videos about Asian-style grooming. Particentral created useful videos about how to groom in a highly efficient way.
    There is a popular book showing dog grooming styles in detail. I forgot the name, but almost every groomer owns a copy of the book. Someone here will know what I'm talking about.
    You can look at used tools here on the forum. There's a section for that.
    You're going to be very successful.

HI I do have that book or one like it , it is called notes from the grooming table shows all breed cuts and blade and direction etc.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2