Default Kenchii or Affordable?

So being as I am not going to make it to Hershey this year I decided to treat myself to a set of shears. I'm torn between purchasing Kenchii Flame 3 piece set (level 3) that Amazon has on sale for $600 or the Dragon Shear set from Affordable shears for $400. With the Kenchii's I would be getting a higher quality steel that will hold a semi-convex edge and be good for everyday and finish work. The affordable shears I would get 2 extra sets of thinners including a double thinner which i have been intrigued to try, but they are 440c so the steel composition is acceptable but would to my understanding would be best with just a beveled edge and thus not so great for finish work but ok for everyday?

Then I am intrigued with these new scissor of the month club popping up. All the shears appear to be 440c. Seems kind of fun to get a new set of shears every month with a gift and little trinkets. Has anyone else given it a go?
    It's not what you look at that matters; it's what you see.
    Henry David Thoreau

I own Kenchii Flame thinning shears, and you won't be disappointed. Since that same 3pc. Flame set is $675 at Kenchii, you are getting a good price. Not familiar with the other brand, nor do I have any shear of the month club experience, so no help to you there. Following.

It's kinda hard to compare since Kenchii seems to have a proprietary blend for their shears, but from what I can find 440C has a rockwell hardness rating of 59-61 which is comparable to the level three Kenchii.

I have asked Stephen Toth st AGS to answer you, but honestly, i never heard the bevel edge theory about 440Ss...i have many if his shears. Replaced a lot of my Kenchii. ALL OF THEM hold a superior edge.
    My Blog The two most important days in your life are the day you are born and the day you find out why. –Mark Twain

Ok. From Stephen Toth at AGS.

Hmmmmm, not really sure how to respond. They both have a convex edge. The "propriety" metal that they claim to use is called great marketing. Makes it hard to compare to other shears.
    The dragon shears are a completely different handle design then the flippers.The flippers are nice shears, but what you should really be worried about is the handle design. Like you already know (myself included) not every handle design suits everyones hand.
    I do get alot of complements on the quality of the dragons.

Now, from me. I have Flippers. Unless they are curves, why do you need them to be able to flip? Maybe once in awhile a thinner I will need to turn around but very seldom . And a straight cuts the same turned one way or the other LOL. I cannot use and even handled she And a straight cuts the same turned one way or the other LOO. I cannot use an even handled shear For any period Of time nor can most people because it puts pressure on your thumb, pulls it out of line. This leads to arthritis, tendonitis and possibly carpal tunnel. That said I love my flipper curves. But jts for what they di, not how they fit. They allow me to put angulation in easily s all.

The steel is just fibe in cinvex. I probably have 15 shears from AGS, all convex, all 440 ss....all hold an edge well.

Disclaimer. I represe t AGS as an independent salesperson. I carry a limited number of products, these shears are not one of them. We will bein Hershey, booth 118 with his shears, blades and dremel bits.
    My Blog The two most important days in your life are the day you are born and the day you find out why. –Mark Twain

Quote Originally Posted by Particentral View Post
    Ok. From Stephen Toth at AGS.

Hmmmmm, not really sure how to respond. They both have a convex edge. The "propriety" metal that they claim to use is called great marketing. Makes it hard to compare to other shears.
    The dragon shears are a completely different handle design then the flippers.The flippers are nice shears, but what you should really be worried about is the handle design. Like you already know (myself included) not every handle design suits everyones hand.
    I do get alot of complements on the quality of the dragons.

Now, from me. I have Flippers. Unless they are curves, why do you need them to be able to flip? Maybe once in awhile a thinner I will need to turn around but very seldom . And a straight cuts the same turned one way or the other LOL. I cannot use and even handled she And a straight cuts the same turned one way or the other LOO. I cannot use an even handled shear For any period Of time nor can most people because it puts pressure on your thumb, pulls it out of line. This leads to arthritis, tendonitis and possibly carpal tunnel. That said I love my flipper curves. But jts for what they di, not how they fit. They allow me to put angulation in easily s all.

The steel is just fibe in cinvex. I probably have 15 shears from AGS, all convex, all 440 ss....all hold an edge well.

Disclaimer. I represe t AGS as an independent salesperson. I carry a limited number of products, these shears are not one of them. We will bein Hershey, booth 118 with his shears, blades and dremel bits.
    Thanks so much for this Debi! I do already have a set of Affordable shears that I adore. Not sure why I thought 440c could not hold a convex edge. I did do a bit more research and found the key difference between the two is that Kenchiis steel contains phosphorus and sulfur which 440c does not. But from what i can tell these two materials are not really anything great that is added to the steel and is even considered undesirable depending on the use of the steele as it is not weldable steel. But it machines well.

As for the "dragon" handle, I could really care less about the fancy design and was concerned about how they would feel. The description said that they do hold nice and they are offset a bit so I was hoping they would fit. $400 for 2 pair of shears and 3 thinner/chunkers was a great deal I thought. I SOOO wish I could go to Hershey and meet everyone and actually fit a set of shears but alas I have no sitter and traveling with my 5 year old is currently not an option. Maybe when he's older I will bring him to some shows.
    Henry David Thoreau

So I decided to go with the Kenchii 8in Flame set from Amazon for $607. Should be here on Wednesday. Super excited!!!
    Henry David Thoreau

Kenchii has good shears, but if you buy Kenchii, then only buy their higher end shears.

Kenchii uses their proprietary "Levels" to describe shear quality because they don't want to tell you the actual hard facts like Rockwell hardness and so forth. Level 1 shears are low quality 440A steel shears, that are sold expensively for the brand, but aren't better than any other run of the mill shear made of cheap steel. On top of the shear, you are also paying top dollar for the most developed marketing effort in the industry! That's not to say that they don't have very excellent shears, but you are paying for a lot more than the shear when you buy it.

With research, you can get a similarly good shear at lower cost from a company that doesn't spend more of their overhead on marketing than on making shears. If you're dead set on a Kenchii, try calling the seller. Sometimes you can get a better call in price. They are limited to a certain minimum advertised price, but they can sell it for less in person.

Quote Originally Posted by Naturally Furry View Post
    So I decided to go with the Kenchii 8in Flame set from Amazon for $607. Should be here on Wednesday. Super excited!!!
    Did you like them?

Quote Originally Posted by Teena2 View Post
    Did you like them?
    I LOVE them! They fit great, are super light & give an excellent finish. Very happy with my decision.
    Henry David Thoreau

I love my Kenchi. Hands down best shears I have owned except my big chunk scissors from 2000