Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Grin Hello, Pet owner looking for Clipper Information

Hello from Indonesia everyone! I stumble upon this group looking for clipper information. (Should i ask here? or at the Grooming Tools TALK?)
    I have 6 shih tzus, 1 mix mini poodle and 1 cat, they weight around 4-7kg, which all i groom by my self for 7 years now.
    I learned to groom them from watching youtube videos, did many trials and error which resulting to lots of ugly haircuts (thankfully they never mind and i will fix it when their hair grows out again, but it does makes me cringes when i saw their old photos hahaha).

Before, i had them on full coat for show but now since i dont show them anymore i keep them in asian haircut/korean haircut like maltese obsession's youtube videos.
    I usually cut them using asian pet clipper from petstore (there is no blade size/brand), i use it with 3mm plastic comb for the body, and without comb for the feet (i do the poodle feet on them), rear area and underbelly.
    For the head and face i use madan's curve shear.

One day a friend told me why dont you use profesional clippers like Wahl or Andis, it will save you so much time.
    I bathe each dog per day, clip them monthly. Bathing and clipping one dog's whole body and face usually will takes me 2-3hours. and i would love to be able to do it in less time so i can do 2 dog per day.
    My current clipper is about similar size with the bravura, and i also use it sometimes without the comb for the eye corners, so i dont think i will need any mini trimmer, im planning to use the same clipper for the body for the face, is it possible?

I have read the threads here and i see most people love the bravura. I do too even though its a bit pricey, but if its whats best suited for me i dont mind investing for my furkids.
    Its just i'm worried if its too "professional" for me, i have the vaguest idea about blade size and ss comb. i did googled and watch youtubes but i guess unless i see it first hand the i will never fully understand how it works.
    My friend will be going to the US on september, so she told me she can get the clipper for me.

I am torned between:
    bravura + SS comb (and i think i should get an extra 5in1 blade just in case) = total is approx. $221
    vs
    KM5 -comes with #10 (i found KM5 for $111) + #30 + SS comb = total is approx. $165
    I dont mind working corded (my pet clipper's battery was weak so i had to use it corded for few years now)

and i wonder if my logic is correct, #10 i will use without the comb for the feet, rear and underbelly area, while the #30 + SS Comb for the body. Am i right?
    if so, you see why i wondered whether the bravura 5in1 will be an overkill for me, i dont see the other blade sizes other than #10 and #30 is useable for me.
    But, is changing the KM5 blade from #10 to #30 back and forth will be too complicated (will it need screw driver to change it?)
    if i cant managed to get the KM5 for total $165 then i think i will jump to bravura, but if i do, is the $56 worth it?
    plus, which one is more hardy? corded or cordless? since i cannot easily send them for service.
    Oh, i always brushed, bathe and dry them before clipping, so there wont be any mats.

Here is pictures of my grooming atm (please excuse some of the uneven clips and cuts), just so you get and idea of what i do.
    02.jpg01.jpg
    Really looking forward for your insight and input.
    Thank you

Actually some of these companies make lower quality versions for pet owners too. I am not suggesting that though. I would suggest you take a STARTER COURSE like the www.learntogroom.com for just $299 and they will help you with a basic grooming toolkit. Very economical.

Haven't used either clipper (Andis user), but I would think since you want to do 2 dogs at a time, the corded clipper might be a better choice. Given the groom time for each dog, you may need a re-charge in between for the Bravura. I don't think you'll need a screwdriver to change blades. Should be easy on and off.
    Old groomers never die, they just go at a slower clip.

Groom on!!!

Thank you for the recommendation, i took a peek and it surely is interesting, but at the moment i don't think i'll be able to fit the course into my schedule. Atm i just want a good clipper that might be able to help me groom them faster so i can spend more time focusing more on their health (tooth brushing, food prepping, and of course working to feed them hahaha).

I read the Bravura can be use corded, so when it ran out of juice the charging cable can be plugged straight to the clipper and be use to clip while charging.

Btw i just found this one place is having discount on clippers, so now the option is:
    Bravura Lithium with 5in1 blades (bonus ss combs) $156
    or
    Km5 with #10 (bonus ss comb) $170 + ultimate comp.blade kit(#30,#10,#5F&#7F) $58, Total: $228.
    Now i am torned, my max budget was around 300 and with the KM5 + blade kit + ss combs its will be like having everything, but i'm worried whether i will ever need all of that sizes.

I still dont get the difference between using blades (#7F or #5F) vs using ss comb with #30or#10.
    will it gives different results? or is one more difficult to use than the other? and what are the pro and con between using blades vs ss combs?
    I cant find any information about it and i have never seen professional grooming clipper such as wahl bravura and km 5 (also andis etc), since groomers here uses the cheap no-brand pet clipper with only 1 blade.
    they're not professional groomer of course, but there is none as such here, thats why i'm trying to learn how to do it myself. and there is no wahl/andis store here so i cannot visit and see the products.

For your very short bodies I would go with an Andis clipper and a 7F and also get a 30 (it will come with a 10) and a set of stainless steel combs.

To answer your question about the difference between using a 7F or 5F or the Bravura with combs, the Bravura with the comb will not give you as smooth of a cut as the actual 7F or even 5F IMO.

Thank you! I just found a youtube video about human clippers and it also says the same thing, that blade will give a better finish than using comb.
    So i'm going to go with the corded clipper and forget about the bravura.
    I looked and unfortunately i cannot find any deals on Andis and my friend will fly back end next month.

between wahl km5 vs wahl power grip, which one would you prefer?

I can't be of help there. I've used neither. The one Wahl corded clipper I did have I didn't like at all.

Its ok, you've been very helpful, thank you for sharing your information. The Andis is very tempting but since there's no promo atm, the price is a bit too high for me, so i decided to get the wahl power grip (due to a better price deal).
    It will come with a #10 (for underbelly, paw and under the tail, #30 seems kinda scary atm, but might get that later when i'm more comfortable with using blades, or i might get the mini clipper that comes with a #30 later after i save up more), two #7F (for the body) and three #4F (for head and legs), is that sounds ok? I think my dog's hair texture will be better with blade than comb as they're not very cottony. There's a lot of blades there but the save up is quite alot for that package, plus i cannot easily get them sharpened from here if it gets dull. what do you think?

Haven't used the Wahl power grip clipper but I just looked it up. It looks like a clipper that would work well for you. Pet Edge have a special atm for 2 free 7f blades for 149.00 (comes with a 10 as well). If you are going to use blades to clip instead of attachment combs then you really don't need a 30 blade.
    BTW: I am impressed with your cute little heads.
    Ain't always easy to stand up for what is right.

Yes, thats the one i'm getting, the #4F blade is 18.75 each (min. 3pcs). I think those blade will last me a very long time.
    Thank you, he has had his "square" head moments before lol

Quote Originally Posted by Vivin View Post
    Yes, thats the one i'm getting, the #4F blade is 18.75 each (min. 3pcs). I think those blade will last me a very long time.
    Thank you, he has had his "square" head moments before lol
    Lol, square head.....that is a style in some countries.
    As to your question the blades pop off and on with a lever, so no unscrewing with this clipper and blades.
    You might also want to look a some thinner/blenders (or chunkers) to blend the legs a bit more to your liking.
    Ain't always easy to stand up for what is right.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast