Not Worthy Le Petite Chien business plan model

I am so excited after reading the small dogs only article in your magazine. I want to ask maybe an obvious question but to ensure that the le petite chien sample business plan in the box is for a business like those in the article?????

Ok saw your post in moderation.

Yes we published the first grooming business plan for small dogs only salon with some retail over 10 years ago, and have had clients we assisted their build out even 20 years ago. Time flies. Some have already sold their 20 years business. Here is another aspect not stated in the magazine article. These businesses MAY sell better. Sometimes they have been sold to downsizing groomers that owned larger businesses. For some reason they do sell better when there is a bit larger boutique side to the business and the owner hires a groomer. Why? The retail easily can be sold as an operation of the owner who only grooms part time. Many groomers do not realize that some of these small breed only salons do MAJOR retail sales of inventory for SMALL DOGS ONLY. As we mention in the article one groomer we interviewed sells 1 to 3 pieces of furniture a day in her salon. By the way many times these beds can be drop shipped by manufacturer, no need for all that inventory storage of furniture. Keep with the beds that sell $200 under, sure there are boutiques with $500 or $1000 beds, no way, don't go there. Special order, well go ahead. We are still groomers, and lots of $100 to $200 furniture beds can mean bigger sales than waiting to sell $1000 beds.

I would keep my grooming prices competitive but exclusive small dog only groomers as you can see in the survey typically charge more than average in their areas. I would work up to that as when you start a new business you need to build clientele. Unlike traditional grooming shops do plan more inventory, read the surveys, small dog only salons tend to have a large segment of pet owners that LOVE to spend on accessorizing pets with clothes, jewelry, and not that some sell pet themed art, jewelry etc to HUMAN OWNERS. My mother actually had a collection of perhaps 300 pet themed brooches and I must say people commented on them everywhere we went from the grocery store to the home depot. And yes she bought pet stationary, pet art, OMG. So do you see what I am saying and many small dog only groomers said in the survey, there has long been a trend of enhanced specialty sales in small dog only grooming businesses with a modest sized retail ONLY for small dogs and their humans. It is truly a niche market within the grooming industry.

But don't over invest in inventory at first, and try to get items that can be drop shipped to save you "investing" in inventory. Now as a career seeker you need to get your training in order first of course and learn small business bookkeeping etc, and keep at it. I have found that women especially with a passion for small dogs love this format of business.

So using Pet Grooming Business Plan Helper and Sampler, yes use Le Petite Chien. Study your market area to ensure you have the right profile to be small dog only. Where they work, they work HUGELY, and it is still a highly overlooked format. But as you can see I know about 200 and 150 helped with our survey.

I am strongly thinking about this type of business, I am so glad I read this.

If I didn't have another groomer working for me and when it is time to groom less, this makes perfect sense as a business model.

I am definitely going this route. It cut my rent in half and a much nicer building plus I am just a small breed fanatic I suppose, guilty!

I am curious to see how it goes. I know it can work, and like some others here I could see the day cutting back to doing smaller pets only. In the meantime I do that but have staff.

Then there are groomers that do really well because they will take them all, big and bigger. So it all works out.

I am opening a shop in 3.5 weeks that will be for dogs only under 30 pounds. also a little dog daycare with a minimum of 4 dogs total, and grooming only 4 dogs a day 5 days a week. I did a direct mailing for households over 60,000 and put ad in local dog magazine, joined chamber too...1 large channel lighted sign (landlord pays for). plan on working alone for a while,hire down the road if I get real busy. also put in a zen/quiet room, I invested 15,000 total, but I had about 7000 worth of grooming equipment I already had from grooming my own dogs and shop I had sold. let you know how it all goes for anyone wanting a small dog only business.. MH

Quote Originally Posted by arizonamouse View Post
    I am opening a shop in 3.5 weeks that will be for dogs only under 30 pounds. also a little dog daycare with a minimum of 4 dogs total, and grooming only 4 dogs a day 5 days a week. I did a direct mailing for households over 60,000 and put ad in local dog magazine, joined chamber too...1 large channel lighted sign (landlord pays for). plan on working alone for a while,hire down the road if I get real busy. also put in a zen/quiet room, I invested 15,000 total, but I had about 7000 worth of grooming equipment I already had from grooming my own dogs and shop I had sold. let you know how it all goes for anyone wanting a small dog only business.. MH
    Excellent please do, sounds like you have a great plan. I must say I find my small dog pet owners for the most part, not all, come in every 4 weeks. They also spend more on extras from treats, to finishing touches, there is something to that. They love if you get treats and toys PETITE SIZE for small dogs. Not everyone does that, THEY LOVE IT.