Thread: Detached Shop

Smile Pink Detached Shop

So exciting to have a place to ask Qs! My husband and I are moving to GA in a couple weeks and are looking at homes. My question is about detached shops and taxes. I know that the % of your home business is deducted but what about when you use a detached building, do you still get the deduction, how does that work?. The formula i see is ex: 1000ft sq home and 100ft sq home business use. I can't find any kind of a detached from the home example. I hope this question makes sense as I have tried looking on the internet and can't quite find this anywhere.

Quote Originally Posted by Sandy Paw Spa View Post
    So exciting to have a place to ask Qs! My husband and I are moving to GA in a couple weeks and are looking at homes. My question is about detached shops and taxes. I know that the % of your home business is deducted but what about when you use a detached building, do you still get the deduction, how does that work?. The formula i see is ex: 1000ft sq home and 100ft sq home business use. I can't find any kind of a detached from the home example. I hope this question makes sense as I have tried looking on the internet and can't quite find this anywhere.
    No idea on that but some areas in GA allow it, some don't and the AG dept regulates us as well here. It can take months to get that approval. Where are you moving???
    My Blog The two most important days in your life are the day you are born and the day you find out why. –Mark Twain

We are going to be moving to the Warner Robins area. My husband will be working on the military base there.

If you go to my blog there is actually a person in that general area who has a small detach shot that I wrote about. She's in Perry. You should be able to contact her and she can help you out more than anybody else around here can. Right now the grooming environment in Warner Robins is interesting
    My Blog The two most important days in your life are the day you are born and the day you find out why. –Mark Twain

Thank you that's a wonderful idea! Where can I find a link to your blog? Sorry I'm just learning my way around here, I appreciate your help!

All the blogs are at www.groomwise.com.
    Most questions regarding GroomerTALK are answered in the FAQ section, or in the Board Help Forum. Thanks for coming to PetGroomer.com http://www.petgroomer.com.

You could likely make a case by adding square footage of the house and the detached together. Plain old detached shops not hooked up to sewer and electric though are likely to be considered outbuildings only. Admin did a post here some time back and said his CPA had requested a floor plan of the home and they shaded the areas of the house being "rented" by the company. There was no strict formula to maximum size but it should be reasonable and certainly something like 25% or less.

Thank you that's a wonderful idea! Where can I find a link to your blog? Sorry I'm just learning my way around here, I appreciate your help!
    The My Blog link in my signature takes you there too.

Have you made your move?

Quote Originally Posted by 10muddypaws View Post
    You could likely make a case by adding square footage of the house and the detached together. Plain old detached shops not hooked up to sewer and electric though are likely to be considered outbuildings only. Admin did a post here some time back and said his CPA had requested a floor plan of the home and they shaded the areas of the house being "rented" by the company. There was no strict formula to maximum size but it should be reasonable and certainly something like 25% or less.
    How in the heck would one groom with no electricity? Must have lights, ac/heat, blow dryer.....if using cordless clippers, they still have to be charged.
    Ain't always easy to stand up for what is right.

This would be similar to my deductions. I have a commerical salon and online grooming supply, my home for years has had rooms dedicated to inventory. So for example my shed has freezers with my extra raw dogs food for the store, both office and spare room are shelves with stock so I count that sq ft

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

Sandy how is it going?