Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Not Worthy What is a "utility" style?

New customer next week, new to area. Poodle. She says her Cal groomer did a utility? Please help.

Pretty generic-like 'puppy cut'. Ask the client exactly what she wants. When I went to grooming school eons ago, a 'utility' cut was a clip off-short blade all over. Length depending on owner's wishes.
    Old groomers never die, they just go at a slower clip.

Groom on!!!

I sometimes call it a "play cut" just to humor the owners. Often suggest it after the intake interview and determining the owners time to brush, activity level of the dog, are they going to the beach or in a yard a lot or staying in a condo, etc.
    have referred to it as a 'lifestyle' trim, or 'comfort clip'. The name is immaterial it's thevfactvthatvits a samelengthnall over with a cute face .l. ��

I don't call it that, but when clients have come to me asking for that it's usually a 7F all over. But just like everything you need to question what THEY mean by it. And then expect the usual....do you even know what you're doing? LOL!

This is really old school. I heard this back long ago like decades. The back is like Cocker said a 7F but the legs are left fuller, more like a lamb but you have to blend the short back into fuller legs. no changes for ears or head piece or tail. But since there is nothing official ask in detail from the customer. But that's the utility I remember from long ago. The neck could be left short like the back or not, usually not and blended into head piece.

Quote Originally Posted by yankeedoodlepoodle View Post
    This is really old school. I heard this back long ago like decades. The back is like Cocker said a 7F but the legs are left fuller, more like a lamb but you have to blend the short back into fuller legs. no changes for ears or head piece or tail. But since there is nothing official ask in detail from the customer. But that's the utility I remember from long ago. The neck could be left short like the back or not, usually not and blended into head piece.
    Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think this is what was called a Town and Country cut......at least back in the 1980's......

Happy keeping my old grooming books !!

Dolly's Barking Bubbles, LLC

www.dollysbarkingbubbles.com

Maybe in your area Dolly sure could be but not in our West Coast area. The utility cut has no pattern. Ours was more like Yankee said, and it was easier maintenance for owners but not like taking it short all over. Shorter back, legs left more full than back.

The school I attended taught us that the Utility Clip/ Kennel Clip / Field Clip /Sporting Clip is usually a shave down with a blade where the body and legs are the same length. The Puppy Clip is also one length all over, but is completely hand scissored, or a comb attachment is used. These different names for clips that all of us were taught is why I always ask specific style questions of the clients rather than rely on a name.

Clean face, feet, the rest shaved down #5 or #7.

Would ask client to describe. But sounds like a kennel cut.

Quote Originally Posted by Moses View Post
    Would ask client to describe. But sounds like a kennel cut.
    Yep!
    Ain't always easy to stand up for what is right.

Shows you how unstandardized things are. I agree with your kennel cuts but utility is not a kennel cut here and more like what others say. Easy maintenance poo cut but not short all over.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast