Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Approved for new wag n tails ultra groom van

I've been grooming 9 years in shops, looking to possibly make the leap into mobile, a little scared and have been dragging my feet, is it worth it?

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

"Is it worth it" ?????? Let's see.....

1). You are your own boss

2). No more salon drama with co-workers

3). Make your own time schedule

4). A nice break from grooming as you drive to your next appointment

2). Do less dogs, charge 2-3 X more per dog

3). Never pay rent, heat, AC, water bills year around

4). Get to really know your clients and their family

5). When you are finished with your last dog, you go directly home instead of "watching the clock"

6). You will have more new client requests than you will be able to handle in a very short time

It will be your best move ever if you like what you read.

Good Luck

Happy loving your job

Dolly's Barking Bubbles, LLC

www.dollysbarkingbubbles.com

I am not mobile, but I know 3 mobile groomers and there is no question they wouldn't groom any other way.

Is it worth it meaning mobile grooming in general or buying an overpriced new van that once you drive off, you just lost 10 grand, like any new vehicle purchase.

Those that don't agree, try selling a day or week old van for exactly what you paid for it. No way.

I bought 2 brand new wagn tails vans 8 yrs ago and they do build a nice van but 2 payments of 1000 each for 5 years plus 14k down on each was a big investment.

I would look at used vans that are in good shape and save thousands. Or if you have the skills like me, build your own. My promaster was built for 10k and looks just as nice as a wagn tails at a fraction of the cost.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

I am going mobile and I know it can be wiser to start off used vehicle and work up, but if my dream was a fabulous new Wagn Tails and I could get the best prices in town, I would do it. Not to say Tom doesn't make sense at all, but life is short, if I want a dream vehicle I would go for it, but only if I could get that extra $50 to $100 extra with best prices. We have areas like that pay, bedroom communities with million dollar homes, sure I would do it. If not, I still might if it was my dream. You decide, do a plan, do a budget.

A brand new vehicle means:

1). No worry that something is going to break down (that wasn't listed in the "I'm for sale" brochure, 10 minutes down the road

2). Everything is sparkling clean

3). Clients like seeing a new vehicle in front of their house, which sends a message that you are a success

4). Used vehicles are a walking time bomb regarding "nickel and diming you"

5). You order only the extra accessories that you will use and want

Tom....I can see your view since you are an "employer" and the less you spend on your employee's work area, the more that goes into your pocket. That may sound harsh, but that's business and every employer has to think along this line, but if it were just you, and you were just starting out, and you weren't mechanically inclined, and you want trouble free grooming for X number of years, then I think you would be searching the new van specials that the companies often advertise. I'm all for new vans, but if I employed someone, who undoubtedly will not take care of the vehicle like an owner, I too would look for a used one. But for me..........brand new all the way.

Happy driving with peace of mind

A slightly used van is not a time bomb. Wagn Tails has very nice clean, all certified used vans. Take your van, Dolly. You take care of it. When you decide to trade it, someone will get a nice van for thousands less than you paid. I'm not totally against new vehicles as I bought 2 new Wagn Tails and a new Promaster. What I have seen over the years is a new groom van quickly starts to wear and need attention and it starts to not feel brand new.

Another thing wagn tails should do is build a cheaper economy van meaning not all the bells and whistles, like cheaper table and tub, less bling on the interior. They over build their vans IMO and have to sell them for high prices. A Ram Promaster is 28000, the conversion costs more than the van. That should not be the case.

Tom.......I'm not sure I understand "all the bells and whistles" in a WGN. I have owned 2 Pro's and everything in the van was/is essential. I like the idea that my table goes up and down at the press of my foot, I like that it swivels so I can groom each side of the dog without moving him, I like that there is a tray that reaches the tub for large dogs entering/exiting the tub onto the table. Groomers have the option to order add on accessories, such as intake fans, bathing system, radio, clipper vac, back-up Kool Air dryer, Inverter system, back-up camera, etc. So all those "extra's" are add-ons that you don't have to order, you can get a stripped down van.....but then.......who in the heck wants to work without these essentials ?? And I'm confused about the "bling on the interior".....mine only has white walls with some vinyl over the doors and tops of storage area.....no bling in mine, just easy clean up surfaces. Now my Pro is a 2011, and I know they have changed somewhat since Ford no longer makes this frame.

Happy working without bling

Non stainless tubs are cheaper, a non electric table is cheaper, less shelves and cabinets save on build costs, no sudser system standard, maybe less colored vinyl accents, maybe cheaper dryer option. These things alone may save 5 to 7000 on the conversion and still have a workable van. They put lots of storage cabinets and all that cabinet and formica work can save money. If you don't order a clipper vac, they set it up so you can add it later. You do not need stainless tubs and 2000 tables. A foot pump is like 300. They could allow more options like these I suggested to bring the price down.

Like I said, their conversion price is what 35,000. The van is cheaper than the conversion.

I am sure they thought of that, but interesting to know what their reasoning is.

I have seen many home built vans and what Dolly is used to is like a luxury A class motor coach vs what many groomers work in. It's not essential to have a electric table that rotates or propane heat or built in RV generator with automatic switching to inverter power. That's all luxury that many can't afford. There's a company here with 8 vans and they were all built in 3 days with a home depot tub, no flooring or walls or insulation. All you need that would allow you to groom is a tub, water tank, pump, battery, table, lights, dryer on the floor and a long extension cord to plug into your client. I'm not saying this is the way anyone should groom and build, but it's all that's needed to work.

Wagn tails build very nice vans and they sell well so their business model works for them. I'm saying me personally would not buy a brand new 85000 van after seeing the condition they wind up in even taking care of them well. Things wear our, get squeaky, need replacement. They do a nice job with traded vans, refurbish anything that needs it, replaces generator if needed, make it look brand new and sell them for thousands or tens of thousands off what new ones cost. They even have a wait list for their used vans.

Beaming Pink

I agree that the Wag'n Tails conversion is pricey, but there are other conversions that aren't that much cheaper. Some are even around the same price. To me, Wag'n Tails is really the nicest design. Sure, all you need are the basics, but I'm with Dolly here about the comfort and convenience of a Wag'n Tails van. I have a 2014 Pet Pro that I am the second owner of. The interior is bright, and welcoming. The shelving and cabinetry keep my supplies off the floor, reducing clutter and trip hazards. The two overhead fans and A/C keep my salon area very comfortable and well-ventilated. In fact, using 1 fan with the two windows open has allowed me to take the load off of my A/C unit. Speaking of A/C, having a built-in generator means I can run my dryer and A/C unit at the same time without blowing fuses in customer homes which would be kind of embarrassing, right? A stainless steel tub is more expensive but it is also cleaner and more sanitary than fiberglass. Not to mention the fact that it is high enough off the ground to take the pressure off my back - and yes, that little pull out ramp from the electric table to the tub is also a back saver! The built-in propane system means I have on-demand heat and hot water - again, without relying on the customer's electric.

The most important thing is the impression that I make when I pull into a new customer's driveway. Think of it this way, if you were going to open a brick and mortar salon, would you just go with a bare room that has " . . . a tub, water tank, pump, battery, table, lights, dryer on the floor. . ." or would you spend a little more on paint, wallpaper, a nice skid-proof floor, organized shelving and storage space for your supplies and tools or would you just leave everything laying around? Would you like a tastefully decorated grooming salon with a comfortable and welcoming intake area for your clients when they walk in or just 4 walls and door? It's the same deal. It's a business - a fully equipped salon on wheels that conveys to your customer that you can do just what the groomer in a storefront salon can do. And trust me, people will look inside. It's the one thing that I love most about my Pet Pro. People are impressed when they see it and, again, first impressions are the ones that matter the most!

I started my mobile grooming business just a couple months ago - on a part-time basis no less - and I can't tell you the number of compliments I have received on my truck. I have been stopped in parking lots, followed down the road, called by people as I drive past their homes! In fact, just this passed Sunday I met my husband at a local diner after I finished grooming and as I stepped out of the truck after parking, a man walked up to me with his dog and asked for an appointment! I'm guessing he was driving, saw me pull in to the lot and followed me. Trust me, the initial investment may be high, but it will pay you back faster and permit you to command a higher price for your services than if you go cheap. And you can claim the investment on your taxes anyway.

Oh yeah! Make sure you find a good sign/graphics guy near you that you can work with to come up with an eye-catching design that will draw attention to your van.

Good luck!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast