Results 1 to 11 of 11
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    4,519

    Smile Cat Natural limitations of house call

    I've been doing house call for a few years. Even though I work in small spaces, that's not one of the limitations that affects me much. I'm used to the small spaces.
    A bigger limitation is that I don't control the working area. Most owners are incredibly diligent about clearing space for me, having a quiet home, making sure the cat is available, keeping gawkers away, and so on. A few aren't. I used to have more of a problem with this when I started, because I didn't screen my new clients as well as I do now.
    Apart from that, I love doing house call grooming.
    What limitations have you found?

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Georgia
    Posts
    1,577

    Default

    I had always been shop based before, so I had two (or more) of everything in case something (like clippers) broke during my work day. The biggest limitation for me switching over to concierge grooming was paring down to the essentials only needed for those grooms on that day. Of course custom packing for the breeds de jour is a good thing so I am not such a tool hoarder. As far as limitations in the home of the client...the bathing set up. Nothing beats an elevated, walled grooming tub!

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Socal
    Posts
    1,619

    Default

    I am not housecall but are most of you that are bathing in the owner's bathtub, or do some let you use a sink for very small pets?

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    4,519

    Default

    I only use the sink for my cat grooming. I don't want to lean over a tub. It's bad for my back to do that.
    My friends who groom dogs use the sink too. They have a weight limit, so only small dogs.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Georgia
    Posts
    1,577

    Default

    If they can fit in a sink, I absolutely use it. The limitations for me there is that many of my clients have a double sink, which are even smaller and restrictive of size. ��

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Posts
    3,073

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by wild4westies View Post
    If they can fit in a sink, I absolutely use it. The limitations for me there is that many of my clients have a double sink, which are even smaller and restrictive of size. ��
    So you must when they say I have a farm sink.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Massachusetts
    Posts
    359

    Default

    I only groom animals that fit in the kitchen sink, and I groom mostly cats. My main limitation is sinks without a sprayer nozzle. No tubs for me, too hard on my back!

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Posts
    1,386

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Brit View Post
    So you must when they say I have a farm sink.
    LOL I want a farm sink too!!!!!!!!!! Now I have another reason, I would love to bathe my chi at home and hate bending over home tub.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    South Carolina
    Posts
    101

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by 10muddypaws View Post
    I am not housecall but are most of you that are bathing in the owner's bathtub, or do some let you use a sink for very small pets?
    I have some house calls where I use sink and some where I use the tub. Going on 15 years, my back is strong as an ox, very tight and muscled. I guess I have no back issues, because I've been doing it for so long. It's been 8 years since I've wanted to see a chiropractor, it's all been good.

    As far as limitations go, I miss grooming to music, I love music. Can't do that when I'm at a house call. But when I drive in between appointments, I make up for it.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    4,519

    Default

    I definitely wouldn't describe my own back as tight and muscled
    Do you do a lot of exercise or are you naturally that way? I think it's great to have a strong back, because I would guess it prevents back strain.

    Quote Originally Posted by APGS1stylist View Post
    I have some house calls where I use sink and some where I use the tub. Going on 15 years, my back is strong as an ox, very tight and muscled. I guess I have no back issues, because I've been doing it for so long. It's been 8 years since I've wanted to see a chiropractor, it's all been good.

    As far as limitations go, I miss grooming to music, I love music. Can't do that when I'm at a house call. But when I drive in between appointments, I make up for it.

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    626

    Default

    I did housecall for awhile and I took my music but didn't use headphones. It was soft music and I told them it would soothe their pets. No problem, they all bought it with that line.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •