Smile Cat Natural limitations of house call

I've been doing house call for a few years. Even though I work in small spaces, that's not one of the limitations that affects me much. I'm used to the small spaces.
    A bigger limitation is that I don't control the working area. Most owners are incredibly diligent about clearing space for me, having a quiet home, making sure the cat is available, keeping gawkers away, and so on. A few aren't. I used to have more of a problem with this when I started, because I didn't screen my new clients as well as I do now.
    Apart from that, I love doing house call grooming.
    What limitations have you found?

I had always been shop based before, so I had two (or more) of everything in case something (like clippers) broke during my work day. The biggest limitation for me switching over to concierge grooming was paring down to the essentials only needed for those grooms on that day. Of course custom packing for the breeds de jour is a good thing so I am not such a tool hoarder. As far as limitations in the home of the client...the bathing set up. Nothing beats an elevated, walled grooming tub!

I am not housecall but are most of you that are bathing in the owner's bathtub, or do some let you use a sink for very small pets?

I only use the sink for my cat grooming. I don't want to lean over a tub. It's bad for my back to do that.
    My friends who groom dogs use the sink too. They have a weight limit, so only small dogs.

If they can fit in a sink, I absolutely use it. The limitations for me there is that many of my clients have a double sink, which are even smaller and restrictive of size. ��

Quote Originally Posted by wild4westies View Post
    If they can fit in a sink, I absolutely use it. The limitations for me there is that many of my clients have a double sink, which are even smaller and restrictive of size. ��
    So you must when they say I have a farm sink.

I only groom animals that fit in the kitchen sink, and I groom mostly cats. My main limitation is sinks without a sprayer nozzle. No tubs for me, too hard on my back!

Quote Originally Posted by Brit View Post
    So you must when they say I have a farm sink.
    LOL I want a farm sink too!!!!!!!!!! Now I have another reason, I would love to bathe my chi at home and hate bending over home tub.

Quote Originally Posted by 10muddypaws View Post
    I am not housecall but are most of you that are bathing in the owner's bathtub, or do some let you use a sink for very small pets?
    I have some house calls where I use sink and some where I use the tub. Going on 15 years, my back is strong as an ox, very tight and muscled. I guess I have no back issues, because I've been doing it for so long. It's been 8 years since I've wanted to see a chiropractor, it's all been good.

As far as limitations go, I miss grooming to music, I love music. Can't do that when I'm at a house call. But when I drive in between appointments, I make up for it.

I definitely wouldn't describe my own back as tight and muscled
    Do you do a lot of exercise or are you naturally that way? I think it's great to have a strong back, because I would guess it prevents back strain.

Quote Originally Posted by APGS1stylist View Post
    I have some house calls where I use sink and some where I use the tub. Going on 15 years, my back is strong as an ox, very tight and muscled. I guess I have no back issues, because I've been doing it for so long. It's been 8 years since I've wanted to see a chiropractor, it's all been good.

As far as limitations go, I miss grooming to music, I love music. Can't do that when I'm at a house call. But when I drive in between appointments, I make up for it.

I did housecall for awhile and I took my music but didn't use headphones. It was soft music and I told them it would soothe their pets. No problem, they all bought it with that line.