Confused Cat Wow. Cats act so differently depending on what's going on at home.

I groomed a sweet white cat a few weeks ago. He was so calm during the bath. This is for a house call.
    Yesterday, I bathed him again. What a difference! First of all, he didn't even want to be on the counter, whereas last time he was relaxed about it. Then when I put him in the sink, he kept trying to get out. While I was drying him, he even hissed at me twice.
    Also, I noticed he was shedding much more than last time.
    The owner told me that workers have been in and out of the home, doing renovations.
    I felt like I was grooming a different cat! He's still a sweetie despite the hisses, but I could tell his nerves were frayed.
    Do you find that what's going on at home makes a big difference in how a pet handles being groomed? With cats, it seems to be a really big deal.

Absolutely, I have even noticed that customers I know well, if they are going through traumas like divorces or spats, dogs and cats can be affected. We just give lots of affection and soft talk before and during the groom to cheer them up and relax them.

Absolutely!! With dogs, too! If a dog is normally well behaved and a pill for one visit.. I'll ask if something different has happened.. and a lot of times yes. they've been gone, had company, someone in the hospital, etc etc etc.

My cats are frayed right now as are my dogs. I have company and they asked to bring their sweet dog and I said yes! Well.. the dog is beyond skittish, a nervous wreck, isn't spayed. My dogs are males and super interested. The dog is a German Shepherd which I know nothing about that breed. Owner said she's very submissive.. well maybe to humans, but I asked about other dogs.. she's snapped at my two several times. Owner said.. "Oh if they're to obnoxious, she will bite." Great!! My dogs are walking on eggshells, this dog makes me nervous, so my cats are nervous. Ai yi yi.. .I've got the Feliway diffusers filled and going and I think I need to take a Valium bath lol. (teasing teasing!!) My own dogs are used to me fostering, so another dog in the picture is usually no big deal.. but my dogs are players. This dog is dead on serious lol.
    Debbie
    There's always room for another rose in the garden.

Oh my! Good luck. I hope all goes well. I had a shy cat was frightened by a large, bouncing puppy. The puppy was gentle, but wild. My cat wound up peeing on the back of the sofa, because she was afraid to attempt the perilous journey to the litter box.

Quote Originally Posted by daesue View Post
    Absolutely!! With dogs, too! If a dog is normally well behaved and a pill for one visit.. I'll ask if something different has happened.. and a lot of times yes. they've been gone, had company, someone in the hospital, etc etc etc.

My cats are frayed right now as are my dogs. I have company and they asked to bring their sweet dog and I said yes! Well.. the dog is beyond skittish, a nervous wreck, isn't spayed. My dogs are males and super interested. The dog is a German Shepherd which I know nothing about that breed. Owner said she's very submissive.. well maybe to humans, but I asked about other dogs.. she's snapped at my two several times. Owner said.. "Oh if they're to obnoxious, she will bite." Great!! My dogs are walking on eggshells, this dog makes me nervous, so my cats are nervous. Ai yi yi.. .I've got the Feliway diffusers filled and going and I think I need to take a Valium bath lol. (teasing teasing!!) My own dogs are used to me fostering, so another dog in the picture is usually no big deal.. but my dogs are players. This dog is dead on serious lol.

Quote Originally Posted by Emma123 View Post
    Oh my! Good luck. I hope all goes well. I had a shy cat was frightened by a large, bouncing puppy. The puppy was gentle, but wild. My cat wound up peeing on the back of the sofa, because she was afraid to attempt the perilous journey to the litter box.
    They left this morning and my dogs are sooo happy lol. I have this pointerish mix and he's top dog. I have labs for a reason!!! I'm soft, I get that. But my pointerish mix had a bounce in his walk all day today lol! My cats were like.. they gone???
    Debbie
    There's always room for another rose in the garden.

Quote Originally Posted by daesue View Post

I have had family visit and bring dogs I never met and the potential chaos is always there. It's actually more of a problem that family that wants to vacation here somehow want to extend the stay sometimes. Smelly kettle of fish.