Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
Results 25 to 33 of 33
  1. #25
    Join Date
    May 2017
    Location
    Michigan
    Posts
    11

    Default

    It's even worse when your own family feels this way! Good for you for handling it so well!

    Sent from my SM-S120VL using Tapatalk

  2. #26
    Join Date
    Aug 2016
    Posts
    336

    Default

    In all seriousness though ....
    Where do people get this idea that groomers are uneducated ?
    That we sit around playing with puppies and perfectly maintained dogs ?
    That nasty dogs don't exsist and are perfect little angles?

    Because I never once thought that , in fact I thought you HAD to go to college to do an animal related course to then be able to groom pets like hairdressers have to.

    It really baffles me that people who have no common sense manage in their day to day lives

  3. #27
    Join Date
    Mar 2017
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    308

    Default

    I think you handled it very well. It's pointless getting all worked up.

  4. #28
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    NYC area
    Posts
    8

    Default

    Honestly, I would have told the woman that I am sorry but I will not be able to groom your dog anymore, and my boss would back me up. Even if I hadn't gone to college, the disdain and condescension for those of us in the service industry is not deserved. If a client cannot respect me as a human being, they can take their toxic and classist attitude to another groomer. I have too many happy and wonderful clients that would be appalled at that level of disrespect and lack of human decency and losing a rude someone's $shih price every 3 months is not going to kill our business.

  5. #29
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    GA
    Posts
    11,728

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Marshmellow View Post
    In all seriousness though ....
    Where do people get this idea that groomers are uneducated ?
    That we sit around playing with puppies and perfectly maintained dogs ?
    That nasty dogs don't exsist and are perfect little angles?

    Because I never once thought that , in fact I thought you HAD to go to college to do an animal related course to then be able to groom pets like hairdressers have to.

    It really baffles me that people who have no common sense manage in their day to day lives
    They think that way because some people in this industry ARE uneducated, do not continuing ed, dress like they are on vacation (shorts and tanks) and have filthy shops. The groomers that do not think presentation of themselves as educated, clean and professional FEED this thought. PLUS since you don't have to go to school, and most know that, that affects it as well.

    I don't get treated that way. I dress like I was going to the office, I do continuing Ed. My shop is clean. I present in a manner that the public respects me. I DO NOT get treated like many of you do. I don't get client complaints demanding money back. I don't get complaints often when I raised prices again this year (twice in one year in fact) and I think its because of how I present myself.

    I am NOT SAYING that the OP or anyone here is that way, just saying that if they have delat with some of what I have seen.....then they don't think this is a job worth much.

    I got great pleasure in teling a doctor recently that his price went up. He said something being funny (don't remember exactly what) about me making more money per hour than him. LOL I said I make $75 per hour on average and his face dropped....I did add that was gross but he was impressed. He said he knew dog grooming was lucrative but he had no idea HOW lucrative....my house i 100% paid for. My business loan I took out last year is paid off 6 mo nths early. My car is in the process of being paid off HOPEFULLY by December....that will leave me totally debt free. When that happens.... I am closing 3 days a week instead of 2.
    My Blog The two most important days in your life are the day you are born and the day you find out why. –Mark Twain

  6. #30
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    GA
    Posts
    11,728

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by segasmom View Post
    Honestly, I would have told the woman that I am sorry but I will not be able to groom your dog anymore, and my boss would back me up. Even if I hadn't gone to college, the disdain and condescension for those of us in the service industry is not deserved. If a client cannot respect me as a human being, they can take their toxic and classist attitude to another groomer. I have too many happy and wonderful clients that would be appalled at that level of disrespect and lack of human decency and losing a rude someone's $shih price every 3 months is not going to kill our business.
    ANd I agree with you 1000%. I have told people that looked down at me or treated me like I HAD to do something to find another groomer. I did it twice recently to long standing clients that could not follow the rules we have set forth. One was 1.5 hours late twice in a row and got turned around. I enforced a no show fee....she wasn't happy. The other was a client I have done since puppyhood but her second owner is horrible about calling same day (I cannot do that any longer) and then blaming me she had to go somewhere else. "It is NOT MY FAULT you had to go to petsomething" I told her. She replied yes it is," I only have today off and she has to be done" I told her then that if she went there to keep going there because she was being highly disrespectful and I hoped she had a good experience and was happy with the groom. Then I hung up. SHe called back FIVE TIMES . We did not answer.

    When you stand up for yourself in any form it sets you up for success. EIther way of handling it is fine, just don't sit there and say NOTHING.
    My Blog The two most important days in your life are the day you are born and the day you find out why. –Mark Twain

  7. #31
    Join Date
    Feb 2015
    Location
    Capital Region, NY
    Posts
    968

    Default

    Typical stereotype. SMH. I'm pretty thick skinned & understand how ignorant some people may be so it wouldn't really get to me that bad. You handled yopurself very professionally. Kudos. I think the sad part here really is that she is passing her ignorance on to her children.
    It's not what you look at that matters; it's what you see.
    Henry David Thoreau

  8. #32
    Join Date
    Aug 2016
    Posts
    336

    Default

    While I may wear shorts and t-shirts its under my uniform ( the hair resistant stuff ) that looks smart. and thankfully I've only had 2 complaints in the last 2 years, the first was I did a Schnauzer face wrong .... She could t explain how she wanted the face ... Turns out she wanted it like a border terriers but she still comes back the other being a beddy that I apparently didn't bath. I did as its a working dog that only comes in 3x a year is filthy and has bad skin so I used a none scented hypo on it I put it right in the bath before touching it with my blades. I rebathed it for free as it only took 10 mins as it was scalped on a 10 ( that's what previous groomer used to do and the owner does not want it any longer )neither of these wanted their money back.

    When I first started I hiked the prices right up and didn't get any complaints because they felt they got their moneys worth when they saw their finished pooch.

    Torrance : I would gladly take that pay rise and a paid holiday !

    Any one fancy employing me ? Haha!!( please note I'm just joking ,not being serious )

  9. #33
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Posts
    848

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Particentral View Post
    They think that way because some people in this industry ARE uneducated, do not continuing ed, dress like they are on vacation (shorts and tanks) and have filthy shops. The groomers that do not think presentation of themselves as educated, clean and professional FEED this thought. PLUS since you don't have to go to school, and most know that, that affects it as well.

    I don't get treated that way. I dress like I was going to the office, I do continuing Ed. My shop is clean. I present in a manner that the public respects me. I DO NOT get treated like many of you do. I don't get client complaints demanding money back. I don't get complaints often when I raised prices again this year (twice in one year in fact) and I think its because of how I present myself.

    I am NOT SAYING that the OP or anyone here is that way, just saying that if they have delat with some of what I have seen.....then they don't think this is a job worth much.

    I got great pleasure in teling a doctor recently that his price went up. He said something being funny (don't remember exactly what) about me making more money per hour than him. LOL I said I make $75 per hour on average and his face dropped....I did add that was gross but he was impressed. He said he knew dog grooming was lucrative but he had no idea HOW lucrative....my house i 100% paid for. My business loan I took out last year is paid off 6 mo nths early. My car is in the process of being paid off HOPEFULLY by December....that will leave me totally debt free. When that happens.... I am closing 3 days a week instead of 2.

    Lol this would have so been (and has often been) my rant. I think people often look down on us for a variety of reasons, one being the perception of it being a woman dominated field and therefore less valuable as "those jobs" are mostly for bored housewives, and another the reasons you mention-- so many groomers who keep themselves down. Not only unprofessional presentation, but if I had a dime for every so-called groomer in my area who devalues themselves and the rest of us with their pitiful facebook and craigslist ads that proudly brag how cheap they are because gee golly they do it because they just love dogs so much and charge only a bare minimum to get by, and then they're downright apologetic about it. I harp all the time on dressing professionally and presenting a business atmosphere and getting paid a fair wage.

    Also not saying OP or anyone here is like that. I'm just saying what I think leads some people to devalue the profession overall.

    I'm not sure what I would have said, but it would not have gone unchallenged. For all anyone knows, I was a neuroscientist or civil engineer or rocket surgeon in a former life. It doesn't matter. I cheerfully ditch people who would bring negativity into my life. That's a general practice that just happens to spill over into my work. Yeah, that's how sucky my job is-- I don't have to be bothered with anyone I don't want to be bothered with. Poor me.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •