Default Running off Inverter only?

I just bought a mobile and I'm looking at power options.

If you bought a 5,000watt or 7,000watt inverter is it possible to run all of your equipment off of it? Meaning you don't need batteries, you simply get the power from the inverter? My AC/heat is powered by the bus being turned on. (so an inverter or generator won't have to power the AC/Heat)
    Yes I know this means you'd have to keep your car running to get power. Any drawbacks to this?

No. The inverter does not power you, the batteries do. The inverter converts the DC power to AC power.

Quote Originally Posted by cockerlvr View Post
    No. The inverter does not power you, the batteries do. The inverter converts the DC power to AC power.
    I guess then I just don't get it? I thought an inverter converts DC power to AC. So it converts DC power to 7000Watt AC power to use. But can an inverter not distribute the power from it directly to switches?...it needs batteries to store the power in? I assumed as long as you keep the engine running and the inverter switched on, it would contentiously supply power to whatever you hooked it up to....is that not true?

Where do you think the inverter gets the power from? It doesn't make it's own power.

If you mean by running your engine, and getting power from your one engine battery? I don't think that's possible. It would take a giant toll on your alternator and battery. I don't think it could handle the necessary load.

If your A/C is reliant on the engine running you wouldn't need such a huge inverter anyway. You ARE going to need a battery bank though.

I have an inverter system and a generator on my 2011 WGT Pro. The inverter system has a series of batteries in the back of the van. I can run 95% of the time on only the batteries (inverter system), but you will need a generator to run the AC and your dryers. Now, I think there are mobile vans that run on only inverters, but they need to keep the truck engine running and have a low voltage dryer. I will never, never, never to back to grooming in a van that is run only with a generator because of the noise.........using the inverter system is working in dead silence. Plus, your gen needs a tune-up every 500 hrs, and it took me 1.5 years to reach that number, so I saved a ton of money by skipping the tune-ups, which are around $400 where I live.

I hope this is not a "do it yourself project".

Happy purchasing a premade mobile van

Dolly's Barking Bubbles, LLC

www.dollysbarkingbubbles.com

I have a Hanvey which I have to keep running for A.C I know nothing about batteries and inverters but if I my battery runs low the running engine refills it after 10 or 15 minutes if I quit using any power. I do not understand why. Also, If I am at my house plugged in, I do not have to turn the inverter on to use power.

Quote Originally Posted by cockerlvr View Post
    Where do you think the inverter gets the power from? It doesn't make it's own power.

If you mean by running your engine, and getting power from your one engine battery? I don't think that's possible. It would take a giant toll on your alternator and battery. I don't think it could handle the necessary load.

If your A/C is reliant on the engine running you wouldn't need such a huge inverter anyway. You ARE going to need a battery bank though.
    There are 2 types of inverters...power inverters and charging inverters. If you have a battery bank you need a charging inverter (one that changes the DC to AC then takes that power and puts in in and charge the batteries).
    But a power inverter simply takes the DC from your vehicle converts it, then whatever wattage the inverter is rated for it will put out. However the vehicle must remain running and the vehicle will rev up or should be set to idle higher than normal. THIS is the inverter I want. I have a diesel, so running it all day is not going to kill the alternator and engine like it would in a gasoline engine. This way is how semi trucks get full power in their rigs (only they use 24v-48v inverters because that is the size batteries they have)

I've literally spent days researching this and talked to me father who is an electrician. Without batteries can be done, but pretty much not if you have a gasoline engine.

Quote Originally Posted by pinky4289 View Post
    There are 2 types of inverters...power inverters and charging inverters. If you have a battery bank you need a charging inverter (one that changes the DC to AC then takes that power and puts in in and charge the batteries).
    But a power inverter simply takes the DC from your vehicle converts it, then whatever wattage the inverter is rated for it will put out. However the vehicle must remain running and the vehicle will rev up or should be set to idle higher than normal. THIS is the inverter I want. I have a diesel, so running it all day is not going to kill the alternator and engine like it would in a gasoline engine. This way is how semi trucks get full power in their rigs (only they use 24v-48v inverters because that is the size batteries they have)

I've literally spent days researching this and talked to me father who is an electrician. Without batteries can be done, but pretty much not if you have a gasoline engine.
    Pink thats not exactly stated correct but i know where your going so.

You will probably need dual alternators due to space maybe brushless to boot. If your Dad is going to help then there may be some experience to converse with . Just wasnt up for some long extended argumentative class lol. With some skill and patience he can run a secondary diode triode closer to the inverter.It will have to be made from scratch complete with cooling fan . Placing it near the inverter he can reduce the amount of dc battery lead/wire required. Rather then running the dc from engine compartment to the inverter with large cable run a three conductor ac line/s between by connecting right into the inside of the alternator/s he will be able to figure it out. Alternators are ac generators that rectify the ac into dc. Two 500 amp alternators would be as a guess a safe start. your gonna need someone who can make the mods in a such a way that the warranty on the alternators is not lost unless you dont care about that. Which is fine if you are in a position to do all your own work on them have access to parts tools time when they need it. That will give you nearly the 700 amps from the second rectifier set/s to the inverter. If the physical load on the fan belts ends up being greater then the belts can manage you'll have to improve the pulley and belt system or reduce the loading on them maybe by using an electric cooling fan instead of the one off the water pump . This is real down and dirty mod I wouldn't recommend it for 99 percent of the community. On the other hand im kind of impressed,,, from a girl go figure . One problem I can see is it will need some type of cut off to isolate the mod so you can turn it off, relays or mechanical switches or both to cut out the added line from the alternator/s. There is no reason to run it when it's not in use and your just driving. Side note your not removing anything from the alternator your adding an additional connection to the output winding terminals and reproducing the rectifier closer to the inverter. All the normal safety precautions apply. If you need a drawing you really dont need a drawing. For the sake of reminder ac uses much thinner conductors 2 3/10 lines or 4 3/00 dc welding cables with the inescapable ohmic losses and expense. You can even add a couple batteries for when you need the lights and or clipper or to clean up real quick and if for no other reason just because if you want to.

I stand corrected, but it doesn't sound easy or cheap.

Totally not worth it. Sounds like a science project. My inverter is connected to 4 batteries and I have a separate charger that charges the batteries. I can run the whole van for most of the day except the air conditioner. In cooler months, inverter most or all of the day depending on how much drying I'm doing. Large dogs will kill off my charge quickly whereas small groom dogs I can do a quick 5 or 7 minute HV dry and then my inverter is running minimal power. In warm weather we are 100 percent generator due to it being hot here in the desert by 9am.

Great answer Doug.