Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by SandyinAnaheim View Post
    The frequent rabies shots are a money grab, for vets and local governments. There have been published studies reflecting that the rabies vaccine is good for at least 7 years, and likely a lifetime, as are other vaccines. Doctors in one study injected dogs with the rabies virus, put it up their nose with nasal sprays and basically doused them in it to try to reinfect dogs that were vaccinated 7 or more years before, and they couldn't infect a single one. Further, side effects from vaccinations range from mild itching and swelling to anaphylactic shock leading to death. One of my own dogs suffered this in the parking lot of the vet's office, luckily, and was able to be saved, which is why I started to research the subject rather than believing blindly what we're all told. Cats may develop vaccine sarcomas, which are cancers that develop at the site of the injection. And dogs may also develop certain autoimmune diseases.

If dogs are exposed to wild animals with frequency, then perhaps the boosters would be beneficial. A lot of people are cheap and don't want to pay for vaccines, but some other people are aware of the dangers of over-vaccination and choose not to. If, like me, a client prefers not to over-vaccinate, that is their choice, and if a groomer refuses to groom my dog because it doesn't have a rabies shot - I'd be finding myself another groomer. The problem, as I see it, is that most people are wholly uneducated on the subject and believe whatever they are told, regardless if there is a financial motivation on the end of the vaccine provider. I don't know how to fix the systemic ignorance issue....or to even make people care enough about it to do some reading.

I worked at a salon that required proof of all shots, would call vets to confirm vaccinations, and if not current would reject clients. Yet, kennel cough was still spread there at an alarming rate. The vaccines did not prevent it because sanitation procedures were skimped on and were ineffective.
    I just really can't wait to sit down to lunch with you. I think we're going to be like old friends.

I should clarify that I am a high volume facility with daycare/boarding free play so vaccinations are probably more strict here. It's a huuuuuge facility and we typically have upwards of 150 dogs in the building at a time.

We have a release for our clients to sign.

Quote Originally Posted by cockerlvr View Post
    I just really can't wait to sit down to lunch with you. I think we're going to be like old friends.
    Jealous. You are a couple of my favorite on-here people.

Nothing. I just groom and make money. I'm not vaccine police either.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by cockerlvr View Post
    Thank you cocker! That's sweet. I hope you're right though, I know I'm a bit of an acquired taste....

Quote Originally Posted by Totally Clips View Post
    Jealous. You are a couple of my favorite on-here people.
    Awww, that's really nice too! Maybe it's because we're alike in a lot of ways? I agree with just about everything you both post.

Quote Originally Posted by SandyinAnaheim View Post
    The frequent rabies shots are a money grab, for vets and local governments. There have been published studies reflecting that the rabies vaccine is good for at least 7 years, and likely a lifetime, as are other vaccines. Doctors in one study injected dogs with the rabies virus, put it up their nose with nasal sprays and basically doused them in it to try to reinfect dogs that were vaccinated 7 or more years before, and they couldn't infect a single one. Further, side effects from vaccinations range from mild itching and swelling to anaphylactic shock leading to death. One of my own dogs suffered this in the parking lot of the vet's office, luckily, and was able to be saved, which is why I started to research the subject rather than believing blindly what we're all told. Cats may develop vaccine sarcomas, which are cancers that develop at the site of the injection. And dogs may also develop certain autoimmune diseases.

If dogs are exposed to wild animals with frequency, then perhaps the boosters would be beneficial. A lot of people are cheap and don't want to pay for vaccines, but some other people are aware of the dangers of over-vaccination and choose not to. If, like me, a client prefers not to over-vaccinate, that is their choice, and if a groomer refuses to groom my dog because it doesn't have a rabies shot - I'd be finding myself another groomer. The problem, as I see it, is that most people are wholly uneducated on the subject and believe whatever they are told, regardless if there is a financial motivation on the end of the vaccine provider. I don't know how to fix the systemic ignorance issue....or to even make people care enough about it to do some reading.

I worked at a salon that required proof of all shots, would call vets to confirm vaccinations, and if not current would reject clients. Yet, kennel cough was still spread there at an alarming rate. The vaccines did not prevent it because sanitation procedures were skimped on and were ineffective.
    Oh, I'm not getting into the debate on if it's necessary on the dog's end, just that it is legally required to have a current proof, as well as required for services by my company. I do very well understand that some people do not believe in the boosters, or have dogs with medical reasons that cannot get them and I do think those dogs are much better served by an understanding private shop.
    That does not change the fact that it is the rules for where I work, and if I get bit by a dog that is not up to date while preforming a service on them I will probably get fired, and it will turn into an ordeal with getting shots and animal control and other red tape. Add to that my other point that if the client is willing to argue with you about such a basic minimum requirement, then they're going to be a headache about other policies, so I would rather send them on to someone who has the time and willingness to deal with them.

Quote Originally Posted by IrishSetterTom View Post

Oh Tom, you're the BEST !

It's just astounding how rapid the vaccine requirement has reversed trend. Albeit it's just my average volume shop, but 10 yrs ago most all my clients were indignant if I allowed other dogs in without proof of recent vaccines. I simply require verbal verification of rabies. No one questions me anymore if other animals are vaccinated. The last owner of my shop was adamant that all new clients I obtained were current, once I bought the shop she stayed on for a very short while as I no longer required it. Mostly I believe it was an her ace the hand to get rid of problem clients if she so desired. And also relationship with vets. As far as measles, mumps, rubella and human vaccines goes, I'm still 100 % pro vaccine. I have a niece who isn't vaccinating her child. I and my sister disagree whole heartedly. There is no cure for measles! Just better hope the child can ride out a very uncomfortable course of illness. Sad.

Totally agree-Well said Tom!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That is great, but there are a few states that do require all pet care providers to have proof on file. It is a hassle.

Quote Originally Posted by Kurt99 View Post
    ...As far as measles, mumps, rubella and human vaccines goes, I'm still 100 % pro vaccine. I have a niece who isn't vaccinating her child. I and my sister disagree whole heartedly. There is no cure for measles! Just better hope the child can ride out a very uncomfortable course of illness. Sad.
    I'm 100% pro-vaccine for children's immunizations as well. But because animals are still considered property, and it is an incredibly significant moneymaker, rabies vaccines are "required" every three years, even though it has now been proven beyond a doubt that there is no need for that. That's like requiring children's vaccination for mumps, rubella, etc. every three years even though there is no need for it, just to make money. Except children are not considered property and therefore over-vaccination abuse does not occur on a wholesale basis.

I recently read a report regarding the corporatization of small veterinary groups around the country and places like Banfield. There is a vet out there whose Banfield practice was taken from him by Banfield corporate because he was giving smaller doses of vaccines to smaller dogs, rather than the full dose corporate requires, in order to avoid the associated risks he has seen occur. He exposed a lot of shady dealings by Banfield, not limited to requiring vets to sell something like 30 vaccinations a day, whether they are needed or not, and they get into trouble if they fall behind.

Vet practices are slowly being turned into business machines, rather than being based on quality pet care, and many independent vets feel the pressure from those organizations to join the fold. Things are changing in the vet industry and we, unsuspecting consumers and pet parents at their mercy, must be alert to the real motivations behind those "pet wellness packages" Banfield and the like sell, they are NOT in OUR best interest, it is in THEIR best interest. If I can find this report, I will post a link to it. It was eye-opening.

Just because one works for a big box store does not mean one has to be a sheeple. Everyone has the ability to think and reason for themselves. I understand completely that one has to follow the rules, but that doesn't mean you have to drink the Kool-Aid.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast