Geek Small Shops Huge Rents

Particentral has been doing wonderful blog posts as most of you know on small / tiny shops. If not, see her blog at www.groomwise.com.

But I had a chuckle yesterday. I began working with a small shop owner, 400 sq ft. so it's a big tiny, yet its rent is $11,000 a month. For their privacy I don't want to say where, but it is a major city in the US, and they are doing fine. We are not resolving problems but looking at buying their building. The rent is competitive, this is what it can cost in desirable areas of a major name city. But they have to adjust prices of course. Their average service is $160, and yes they get it and do about 15 a day on average. Small shops, huge rents.
    Most questions regarding GroomerTALK are answered in the FAQ section, or in the Board Help Forum. Thanks for coming to PetGroomer.com http://www.petgroomer.com.

Umm.... what? $11,000?

I'd love to be a Manhatten groomer. Park Ave. Any of it!

Quote Originally Posted by Admin View Post
    Particentral has been doing wonderful blog posts as most of you know on small / tiny shops. If not, see her blog at www.groomwise.com.

But I had a chuckle yesterday. I began working with a small shop owner, 400 sq ft. so it's a big tiny, yet its rent is $11,000 a month. For their privacy I don't want to say where, but it is a major city in the US, and they are doing fine. We are not resolving problems but looking at buying their building. The rent is competitive, this is what it can cost in desirable areas of a major name city. But they have to adjust prices of course. Their average service is $160, and yes they get it and do about 15 a day on average. Small shops, huge rents.
    That is $2400....so you would have to be open 5 days a week to JUST pay the rent at the level....IMO those prices need to go up or the numbers do. NO WAY. I am getting 1/4 their rate to start and doing that many or more with $800 rent (that the landlord is LOWERING in July because I have been here ten years).....sorry but no, that is not good imo.....
    My Blog The two most important days in your life are the day you are born and the day you find out why. –Mark Twain

TBH...that rent is 15 times (roughly) my rent and the profit margin is less......wow.......
    My Blog The two most important days in your life are the day you are born and the day you find out why. –Mark Twain

Many people in these areas work at least 2 weeks of every month just to pay their SHARE of their apartment rent. And sometimes it takes 4 people sharing a 2 bedroom place to pay the rent, each working 2 weeks of the month just to cover their rent. I know this for a fact.

Many nearby suburban home rentals, and we are talking really basic 3 bedroom homes, 2,000 sq ft. needing to be flipped, are roughly $4,000 a month. Landlords often have to rent a suburb home to TWO families, sharing one house. I know this for a fact as I have family in CA doing just this. Some landlords remove the front lawn and put concrete in so there is more parking to cover 2 families. Our 3 bedroom 2,100 sq ft home with a small yard now rents for $8,000 a month. That's crazy. We paid $60,000 for it when I was a kid and I looked it up on Zillow and it last sold for $2,100,000. Insane.

So think about commercial property in some top states. And then go to premium locations like downtown. Yep these rents are quite real. And having to work only 5 days to bring in the rent is actually good. NOW one thing many of these owners do is to stress additional sales, such as specialty boutique retail. Some do food deliveries (many customers don't have cars, so delivery of big bags is a convenience). Some expand with a pet walker too.

I know some of these owners very well as I wrote their business plans in the last 20 years before we created the D.I.Y. version of Business Plan Helper by Grooming Business in a Box.

There are some tiny shops in Manhattan that come to mind, we may even one still for sale in the ads. If I remember correctly this little little shop pays about $4,000 a month, and it is tiny, but she does well and yep, fees are higher to compensate.
    Most questions regarding GroomerTALK are answered in the FAQ section, or in the Board Help Forum. Thanks for coming to PetGroomer.com http://www.petgroomer.com.

Funny parti, I got my rent down $100 a month too just about a yr ago. $850 includes everything, water, electric, tax too.

$4000 I get. BUT like I said to pay the diffenrence my prices would be higher or there would be more revenue because I can't even begin to imagine that.....and I go through on my FB group all the time. People charging the same as me with rents 3 and 4 times mine.....not me. no way no how.

I need to bug my landlord. Been here 15 years and he just increased my rent $200+ in this piece of junk old building that he never puts a dime into!

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

When I walk by groomers, or even vets, in NYC, I wonder how they manage. It seems almost impossible, yet there are some that have been here a long time. I've seen a few expand to a 2nd location.

I had a friend in Chicago paying $7K a month for a few hundred feet. She did some botique with it.

I know a place that pays $5,500 where I once worked in SF.