Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Anyone Paying Bonuses?

We have been thinking about offering a bonus program to our Groomers and thought I would reach out to the Forum to get some ideas.

Here is our compensation package:
    -Hourly employees
    -We schedule 6 dogs per day. No more than 3 large dogs scheduled
    -Weekly schedule is Tuesday-Saturday.
    -One week's paid vacation a year.

Please let me know what bonus programs you offer.

Thanks,

Steve

We do give what we call a Christmas bonus. There really isn't much left if you paying well, and paying legally as W-2 workers. However, I do give a week's vacation to full timers after 2 years employment, and then once a year thereafter. That's it.

What type of hourly rates are you paying groomers?

Do you mean sign on bonus? No, only Xmas and bday. No paid vacation. Commission workers not entitled to paid vacation

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

In my opinion you can't offer bonuses unless they do more work. And since you're only booking 6 a day I don't even see how you're breaking even. Unless you're paying are really low hourly rate I can't picture it.
    My Blog The two most important days in your life are the day you are born and the day you find out why. –Mark Twain

$14 & $15

I mean a performance bonus.

That is what the bonus would be. How many dogs does your staff do a day or week?

I used to work in place with performance based bonus and I hated it. They set unrealistic targets for grooming sales spa sales and additional sales. We could rarely hit the targets so what we did attain was taken from us in tax so there was no incentive for us. As the area the salon was based very few wanted spa add on and because we were in a pet shop they paid at the store till rather than the salon.

Where I am now I don't have any bonuses or targets instead we get "rewarded" by different means to show appreciation, such as lunch being bought ( like a good pizza take out) personalized gifts ( not things with names on but gifts that are thought out with the person in mind, for example , work got me the latest edition of notes for working hard and doing well) coffee and cakes being brought in, getting off earlier when its quite.

I don't think I could go back to performance based bonuses, when small gestures like those above show more appreciation to me at least.

Talk to your team to see what they think on the matter.

I'm talking from my own personal experience and it may be completely different else where.

I like the fact of steady 6 dogs. But monetarily speaking, how are they to get a performance bonus when the number of dogs is set ? I have worked many different ways.

Most places have been straight commission.
    Corporate was comm or hrs. Whichever was higher. Never once at corporate did I get hourly. Although we were given paid vacation, health ins. Pto could/did accumulate

1 private shop had ins and paid vacation. We had the option to just get it paid out every year if we didn't want to take vacation. That pay scale went from 50%-60%. Comm was higher the more dogs you did. Owner controlled every dog and dictated who did what. So if you passed her off , you would end up 1 or 2 shy for the pay period to get what you worked your add off for. But they did pay for sharpening.

Last shop straight comm. Nothing extra.

Treat and Pay them well, make sure it's steady so they can budget their life. 6-8 dogs is a good number. Prefer a good bather , you can get more done. I would prefer health ins. Don't buy the cheapest products or equipment. Find what works best for your clients and with your water.

Thank you for the feedback!

Thank you very much for the feedback!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast