Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by MysticRealm View Post
    I had a groomer that would set the top of her heads like a human hair dresser. She gathered up all the hair on the top of the head between her 2 fingers (fingers pointing towards the dog's nose or butt (not to the ears)) and then trimmed it all to the length she wanted. then she could tidy from there. I've never tried it (I use combs for the most part) but she could usually turn out a good head. Thinners are also your friend if you are having troubles.
    I do this a lot, or use a comb to pick up when it's short..

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

MysticRealm, Cockerlver and Tom. I do the "hairdresser-hold-hair-between-fingers" technique. The dog doesn't have to sit still. I can do this on a wiggly pup and still get great results.

The difference between the video that Tom mentioned is that I hold my hand with my fingers pointing towards the dogs tail. Then my thumb, ring finger, and little finger wrap around the dogs jawline. The palm of my hand is covering the top of their muzzle. This way you can hold the head up and still and steady.

Trim around the edges on the cheeks and muzzle and your done. Very quick and easy.

I must be lazy then...

I once heard someone say that using a recirc was lazy and cutting corners.

Agree with all of the above. Plus as a business owner, if work is done effectively and efficiantly with happy customers, why make such a stink about it? Seems silly to me.
    It's not what you look at that matters; it's what you see.
    Henry David Thoreau

*stands up, states name* I am a lazy B. I too use guard combs. Hell I'll use them for short poodle topknots and short pom poms bwuahaha!! Now I will agree that handscissoring (the two finger method explained above) leaves a nicer finish and I do that to all my yorkies, westies, cairns, you get the picture cause I like the look better and I feel I have better control over the finish. That said most tbh get combs and and finished with chunkers! If there are cowlicks the chunkers take care of that most of the time, but sometimes I have to go back and handscissor to make it look good which isn't often. The method shouldn't matter although I agree you should learn how to hanscissor just in case but you shouldn't be admonished for using clipper combs. When she can handscissor a whole dog then she can say something lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Look at that expressive face. That last one is a cutie

Quote Originally Posted by ladyscarletthawk View Post
    *stands up, states name* I am a lazy B. I too use guard combs. Hell I'll use them for short poodle topknots and short pom poms bwuahaha!! Now I will agree that handscissoring (the two finger method explained above) leaves a nicer finish and I do that to all my yorkies, westies, cairns, you get the picture cause I like the look better and I feel I have better control over the finish. That said most tbh get combs and and finished with chunkers! If there are cowlicks the chunkers take care of that most of the time, but sometimes I have to go back and handscissor to make it look good which isn't often. The method shouldn't matter although I agree you should learn how to hanscissor just in case but you shouldn't be admonished for using clipper combs. When she can handscissor a whole dog then she can say something lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I'm with you, I use my guard combs for almost everything topknots, shih tzu heads, etc. I do like the two finger method on yorkies after watching a video. I always finish with scissoring, though.

Was talking about Itzas pictures.

Guess I'm a cheat too then. I use guard combs on most heads, short topknots, really short westie/cairn faces too because its safer and quicker.
    Saying g that, I did work for woman who said that she doesn't n and guard comb heads but I needed to learn how to do a scissored head properly just in case my clippers ever break down for what ever reason ( yes I know that's why you have a back up but it was in case the back up beaks to) or if power goes. Then again , same woman hated hates hated us using curvered scissors to faces topknots and setting angles on legs ?? She could never explain why.

I was trained by someone who would not own a HV dryer and hand washed and dried every dog start to finish, and who thought thinners and blenders were Satan's own hand tools and did not use or allow them. It was years after graduation before I ever owned or used thinners. And yet, after thorough training on proper scissoring, she did teach us how and allow us to use guard combs.

I do use guide Conns but I feel that every groomer should be taught to do by hand first. With straight shears.

Quote Originally Posted by Moses View Post
    I do use guide Conns but I feel that every groomer should be taught to do by hand first. With straight shears.
    Why?

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast